• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

@Shelby  

get a simple torch   HOmeDepot  or harborFreight

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html

there probably isn't a HF down your street or a few blocks away

mine is 5 minutes away and right next to TotalWine

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html

very convenient !

HF aslo has a ubiquitous 20 % off coupon

nice.

• Like 1

Lentils and beans, baby eggplants with tomato gravy, kale paneer, flaky paratha, rice. On the side, coconut chutney, date & tamarind chutney, lime pickle, and gunpowder.

IMG_3748.thumb.JPG.09c004d71a89621335344bfe606b6c75.JPG

• Like 8

I don't get the whole torching food thing.

Perhaps it is just me, but all I taste is the torch and that sure isn't enjoyable.

A very high end Sushi place near me will slightly torch a piece of toro to create a bit of Maillard effect, after a few times I told him I will pass and just give it to me aux natural. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zend said:

Cherry-smoked chicken with thyme. Placed whole in the COBB for about 4 hours. 

20170319_161531.jpg

That is great looking chook.

I did a nice one myself last night. No pics thou.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I don't get the whole torching food thing.

Perhaps it is just me, but all I taste is the torch and that sure isn't enjoyable.

A very high end Sushi place near me will slightly torch a piece of toro to create a bit of Maillard effect, after a few times I told him I will pass and just give it to me aux natural. 

I torch all the time and don't get any torch taste.  

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

33 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I know I have sensitive taste buds, but I can literally taste the gas.

Surely I am not alone here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I spotted these in a local market and decided on steak night.

HC

IMG_1343.thumb.JPG.dd063940abbc3cda620cd68005a07d01.JPGIMG_1344.thumb.JPG.f5d6ccaab6b6107bab4b2e9007207cd7.JPGIMG_1347.thumb.JPG.39e2e1eb5d85c3fba011da14e194d77c.JPG

Invite me . please....

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

my husband will not allow me to torch, grill, broil or anything that may give meat a crust that then can cause him to develop cancer......

I didn't say he was compos mentis...

• Like 7

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Grilled chicken with tomato chutney, roasted sweet potatoes, and carrots and roasted spiced chickpeas over spinach (from my garden!) with a yogurt, lemon, olive oil dressing. (At this time of year everything from the garden is worthy of an !. By late July i will be more blasé.)

DSC02307.thumb.jpg.c6659fd23edc645f51abff6d3010958a.jpg

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

3 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

my husband will not allow me to torch, grill, broil or anything that may give meat a crust that then can cause him to develop cancer......

Don't tell him water can be pretty deadly...

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

sent John and his brother, Mike, and former sil, Barbara, off to the U2 concert tonight with sandwiches, potato salad and iced tea.  When they get back here there is salad and bison burgers.  Tomorrow they can have some blueberry pancakes or eggs and English muffins.  First time in years I am letting them find their own way as I have  a commitment that I choose not to break.  If they are still here when I get home I will be happy to cook for them.

• Like 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

he has literally taken toast or pancakes or French toast and scraped any dark area off....

can you say engineer who is obsessive compulsive past the border of neurotic teetering on psychotic?

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 2017-6-27 at 6:16 PM, sartoric said:

Forgive me, I had to do it. Kangaroo vindaloo, potatoes with curry leaves, brussels sprouts poriyal, yesterdays rice, paratha, with dill raita, mango chutney and lime pickle.

I would feel the same compulsion. Next up, "wallabiryani"?

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

he has literally taken toast or pancakes or French toast and scraped any dark area off....

can you say engineer who is obsessive compulsive past the border of neurotic teetering on psychotic?

Too funny

And I thought I was bad taking tissue paper to a chicken thigh when it flames up on the BBQ and gets all that black nasty soot all over the lovely crisp (now tainted) skin.

• Like 1

This is kind of dinner.  Freekah with sautéed kale from a friend.  Actually he's my son's former girlfriend's husband and he's a bartender at my local.  Interesting worlds colliding.  Anyway, he's really into gardening so we've bartered greens for eggs and cucumbers that my gardener BF has.  Also made some arugula pesto to freeze because he gave me a lot and I'm out of town before I can use it all.  Now I have to decide how to preserve the rainbow chard he gave me.

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

• Like 6

Just me tonight and tomorrow morning I am having a tooth extracted, so they say no solidish food for a couple of days.  So I made a batch of split pea soup for the next couple of days, but tonight's dinner was a ribeye, cooked SV then torch seared, served with corn, salad and the last of the red box wine.  Fresh cherries for dessert.

ribeye-corn.jpg.e8300dbde6ae24053d355b53b438f43f.jpg

• Like 16

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I had ribeye tonight too. I decided to break my rule about never cooking a steak over anything but charcoal, but that's a lot of work I wasn't in the mood for tonight. 

I made another two servings of seven layer salad, and after I fried Wright's applewood smoked bacon for the salad and a BLT in the near future, I thawed out a sub roll that I knew had been in the freezer too long for the coons and poured the grease over it and took it out to where they are used to finding my offerings well before sunset. This time I reserved both the grated cheddar and the bacon for the salad separately until time to mix up my portion I was eating tonight and for the leftover portion. I will also add the mayo again when ready to serve.

Wright's bacon was more expensive than Hormel black label that I usually buy, and I wouldn't say I like it better. Part of that may be that I prefer thin sliced and Wright's only offers thick sliced. Maybe it will be better in the BLT.

Without washing or wiping the bacon skillet, I used that to cook my ribeye for about four minutes a side, and a few minutes standing it up on the edges to sear those too and render the fat cap on one side. It turned out rare and surprised me with how good it was.

Dessert was a local perfect, juice running down the chin, peach and a chocolate cupcake from the Food Lion Bakery. Surprisingly they are much better than the more expensive and, to me, nearly inedible pastry offerings at the higher end Harris Teeter. The coons got more than I did when I fell for a couple cake slices at a 2 for 1 sale offer from HT.

No cooking tomorrow while I catch up with leftovers: half the steak, the other serving of seven layer salad and a fried chicken wing. When I go to food Lion, I usually get dinner before grocery shopping at a Chinese takeout where I can get 4 whole fried chicken wings with fries, which are all done to order and come out screaming hot from the fryer for only $6.50 including tax. I can never eat it all, so I have 1 or 2 wings leftover. I don't care for leftover fries so I use that as an excuse to eat the large order while they are at their best. :)

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Lobsters finally went on sale for $5.99 pp and we jumped in! These were hard shells from Canada, too!

That's a better price than I've seen all year up here, where they're landed. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Weekend trip to Hangzhou, China. Just arrived and headed out to explore the vicinity of our note. Found a place specializing in crawfish. Had lots of it with lots of garlic in a spicy and super rich sauce ... Life is good :)

WP_20170630_20_57_02_Rich.jpg

WP_20170630_20_25_19_Rich.jpg

WP_20170630_20_26_45_Rich.jpg

• Like 13