• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Dinner was a really tasty combination of freshly shucked oysters, apple wood smoke bacon and mushrooms  sauteed in butter.  It was served in a light cream sauce over linguine.  Heavy cream was reduced with the oyster liquor then thinned out with pasta water  and Meyer lemon juice.   

y2017P1060428.thumb.jpg.c771a4d6a84a20d4d9131349c636440f.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shoprite featured pork loin on sale this afternoon for $1.99 a pound.  They would not have fit in my refrigerator, my largest pot, nor in my Polyscience.  All this is moot as one would not have fit in my backpack to carry home.  There were none smaller.

I made do with a pair of extra thick loin chops that I shall pretend are a roast.  The experiment is planned for later this long weekend.  Meanwhile have to think about browning.  Further thoughts appreciated.

140F for about 90 minutes, depending on thickness and fresh vs frozen.  I use the Chefsteps app as a guide.  Then I usually pat dry then baste with a mixture of maple syrup and bourbon (just a bit of bourbon), then sear side one, repeat for side two.  Then baste again and serve.

thick-chop.jpg.4a3c837206c4204945b5b40c4b567668.jpg

I also use the same temp but for longer times with pork loin roast.  I get the full loins and will cut some as chops and some as small roasts, vacuum pack and freeze. I usually get them at Costco in the cryovac packaging, but if you are getting them at a store, I'd have the butcher cut them down to fit in the backpack.

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Technically, this was lunch, though served at nighttime. Traditional Christmas day lunch in Catalonia: "Escudella i carn d'olla".

We arrived yesterday night from Germany and had what my wife is craving for the whole year - the traditional Christmas soup, eaten on Christmas day with the whole family (a 50 persons affair here).

Prepared over the course of two days, starting with a broth made from onions, garlic, root vegetables, bird carcasses and bones (boiling vigorously for a day or so), strained and then enriched with various pork parts including skin, black and white sausages, chicken, duck and intestines. It's a rich, gelatinous and flavourful broth, that is served with minced meat-stuffed pasta and only spiced with a bit of salt and white pepper (I always dream of this soup as a Ramen base - one day ...).

As a second course the meat is served, together with "pa amb tomaquet", toasted bread rubbed with tomato, olive oil and salt. I like mine with "pilotas", giant meatballs that are also simmered in the broth, but as strange as it sounds skin is also fantastic as a topping.

Lastly, the potatoes and a bit of cabbage boiled in the soup are mashed with raw garlic and a bit of blood sausage and fried into a thick omelet called "trinxat" - to be eaten with olive oil and salt or, as I prefer it, also on the "pa amb tomaquet".

Needless to say, even though everything spend waiting 4 days in the fridge for us, it was all still delicious and not only my wife was very happy ...

WP_20171229_21_04_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20171229_21_03_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20171229_21_09_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20171229_21_21_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20171229_21_05_11_Pro.jpg

• Like 12

@Duvel

Definitely one of the more unusual meals that I have learned about here. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, gfweb said:

@Anna N, @JoNorvelleWalker I do Pork loin roast ...137F for 3 hours sealed in a big ziploc bag. Very juicy and fork-tender (example below). I don't brown. Perhaps I should.

For a shoulder or a butt, I go 36 hours  at 140 when I make pulled pork

130.thumb.jpg.bee1f52547537f88813337d6d0772a31.jpg.

I got to thinking about that 137F.  I'm a bit afraid 137F might be too rare for me.  @mgaretz suggested 140F.  I may split the difference.  @Anna N when you cook loins sous vide what temperature do you use?

Still looking for more browning thoughts, but please don't suggest a torch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

37 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Anna N when you cook loins sous vide what temperature do you use?

Well I checked my notes and lo and behold there was nothing there. Horrors! But I found it here. I’m a big chicken where torches are concerned so browning is almost always done in cast iron. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

253ADF40-9E7D-46D1-9D16-41B4342E4C8A.thumb.jpeg.1d98b50a49ac8bc40e18a7ac910c2708.jpeg

Orzo salad. I started out with a recipe but then I began colouring outside the lines.  The green beans were great. I did them in the manner of @JoNorvelleWalker.   Pressure cooked for exactly 30 seconds. We need the addition of seconds to the timer on the Instant Pot. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by a Cooks Country recipe tonight's dinner will be Arroz con pollo.

My stores didn’t have any cubanelle peppers and my thighs are boneless, I subbed  an Anaheim for the cubanelle.

I've done the prep work and am enjoying my pre dinner cocktail(s).

Arroz con Pollo (Rice with Chicken)
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 Cubanelle pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (3/4 cup)
5 garlic cloves, chopped coarse
1 tsp ground cumin
½ cup mayonnaise
3 ½ Tbs lemon juice (2 lemons), plus lemon wedges for serving
Salt and pepper
6 (5- to 7-ounce) bone in chicken thigh, trimmed
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cups medium-grain rice, rinsed
1 Tbs Goya Sazón with Coriander and Annatto
2 ½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup pimento-stuffed green olives, halved
2 Tbs capers, rinsed
2 bay leaves
½ cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Process cilantro, 1/2 cup onion, Cubanelle, garlic, and cumin in food processor until finely chopped, about 20 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer sofrito to bowl.
Process mayonnaise, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons sofrito in now-empty processor until almost smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer mayonnaise-herb sauce to small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pat chicken dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken to pot skin side down and cook without moving it until skin is crispy and golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Flip chicken and continue to cook until golden on second side, 7 to 9 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to plate; discard skin.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add remaining 1/2 cup onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice and Sazón and cook until edges of rice begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
Stir in broth, olives, capers, bay leaves, remaining sofrito, remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, scraping up any browned bits. Nestle chicken into pot along with any accumulated juices and bring to vigorous simmer. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
Transfer pot to wire rack and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Fluff rice with fork and stir in peas, if using. Discard bay leaves. Serve with mayonnaise-herb sauce and lemon wedges.
Servings: 6

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

@Shelby – glad you like those Scalloped Tomatoes – we’ll be having them New Year’s day. 

@liamsaunt – your sandwiches look lovely and delicious! 

Mr. Kim smoked a couple of turkey breasts for Xmas Eve dinner:

DSCN7738.thumb.JPG.ee3c16e303c57a0c86704527e8b4690a.JPG

They turned out beautifully.

Moist, lightly smoky and incredibly delicious:

DSCN7740.JPG.991bfbf8a2dbf34c605f1cdba4d790ad.JPG

The table:

DSCN7747.JPG.1ce02333e76b7f99a1b9bf57624c7ef1.JPG

Bread and rolls:

DSCN7760.JPG.31acea51b7cc4cc92dda8d963a8c832c.JPG

Ham (cooked in the Nesco roaster) and Mr. Kim’s smoked turkey breast:

DSCN7761.JPG.6c86af62b3fd8d3988ab87603fb2ce7f.JPG

Salami, Cheeses (Gouda, Havarti, and Cheddar) and crackers:

DSCN7762.JPG.d697532e2aee4efbd0cc18f556addaa2.JPG

Liptauer cheese and pumpernickel:

DSCN7763.JPG.3652c920476444d69e1f87374573bbac.JPG

Pickle-y stuff:

DSCN7764.thumb.JPG.0489200800c48e72ed7686736f15493e.JPG

Pretzel crackers and Boursin:

DSCN7765.JPG.ccae72ff1c162de8249428fa8d2bbbd8.JPG

My grandmother, Bebo’s, fruit salad:

DSCN7757.JPG.df21adb297a4fe97c792226d10bb1bc7.JPG

Salad greens with my dad’s paprika dressing, bleu cheese dressing and torn croutons:

DSCN7767.JPG.ba0bf02abbc900d7121cfa8d2789c40d.JPG

Smoked salmon served with cream cheese, capers and Melba toast:

DSCN7768.JPG.c9fb179c77e171d2f8734c9f4df0e15b.JPG

Ranch Oyster Crackers:

DSCN7759.JPG.2588fa824fb4fde078976bec37108825.JPG

I also made Brunswick Stew (no picture).

I posted the desserts in the "Sweets" thread.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Last night was a braised pork butt steak with onion gravy, spinach salad and a baked sweet potato with butter.

Tonight was fluffy scrambled eggs Florentine, lima beans and purchased 12 grain bread toasted. Blueberry Greek yogurt for dessert, and as always lately a pint of milk for beverage.

I'm getting better at cooking from the wheelchair. You just have to be patient and realize it's going to take a lot longer than usual.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <