• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

@mm84321 absolutely stunning.  I would have loved to have been a guest at your table,

We used up bits of things in the fridge to have a sandwich night.  Leftover Christmas roast with parmesan, arugula, and truffle butter for my husband

beef.thumb.jpg.f809d5af1c260579899312e9d90ee607.jpg

Cheddar, bacon, arugula and carmelized onion-apple compote for my sister and me

cheddar.thumb.jpg.da5debba1967f381867820a977e35bbb.jpg

Apple, gouda, bacon, arugula and fig jam for my niece and nephew

apple.thumb.jpg.7aa28b41a9fa8866a756a77b2bc6ba82.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No hot water here, so leftovers.  Not particularly exciting but enough to stave off starvation and sobriety.

During dinner I read about cooking in Georgian homes that do not have running water.  It's now past 4:30 and I am contemplating the prospect of bed without a shower.

do you at least have a gym nearby???????

John is due back later today and I picked up a half pound of shrimp.  Making something for him I haven's I years .... shrimp etouffee with some rice.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, lindag said:

What happened to your water?

Did I miss an earlier mention of this?

Another thread...still no hot water, and now it seems no heat.  My heat and hot water come from a large boiler that supplies three buildings.  My guess is that with this weather something froze.  I probably won't be running the dishwasher anytime soon.

• Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

do you at least have a gym nearby???????

Oh, yes, but not that I belong to.  However I'm about to go grocery and wine shopping while I can before the temperatures drop and that should warm me up.  Plus tonight is bread baking!

Seriously I hope they solve the problem.  I am worried about my poor poolish.

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, yes, but not that I belong to.  However I'm about to go grocery and wine shopping while I can before the temperatures drop and that should warm me up.  Plus tonight is bread baking!

too bad you aren't closer to us..........

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You remind me of the little girl in Willa Cather's Shadows on the Rock, explaining what she is doing out of bed on a very bitter night in Quebec, "Papa, j'ai peur pour le persil." - Papa, I fear for the parsley.

• Like 3

Frozen Canadian East Coast lobster tails on sale, buy one get one free.  Packaged in twos.   So I bought six packages for 12 lobster tails for $60.00.  Froze 10 and used two

to make tonight's dinner. 

5a45b2468f3ad_LobsterandSpaghettiDecember28th2017.thumb.jpg.4bb712bcd010503a8ebb961bc02f183c.jpg

Spaghetti with lobster in a spicy tomato garlic sauce. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 17

IMG_20171228_184439727.thumb.jpg.04aa31a2a03a0411e139061760a96616.jpg

We usually have turkey for Thanksgiving and not Christmas. We were traveling in SE Asia this November and missed our normal opportunity, so turkey for Christmas it was. Tonight we had a soup made with leftovers (turkey stock and meat), but influenced by our time spent in Vietnam - rice noodles, fish sauce, lemongrass, shallot, garlic, ginger, chiles, cliantro and lime.

• Like 10

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

I found a little pork roast at the supermarket and being Christmas and all I was really missing my traditional Christmas pork. I debated whether to roast this one or turn it into carnitas (never had those).  But the roast idea won.  It ended up being quite disappointing.  A bit overcooked and dry. 

7F982960-2E03-43E9-B00F-F8916C4775D1.thumb.jpeg.79aaf7a0c1d059a0d3c38e009a4704dd.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I found a little pork roast at the supermarket and being Christmas and all I was really missing my traditional Christmas pork. I debated whether to roast this one or turn it into carnitas (never had those).  But the roast idea won.  It ended up being quite disappointing.  A bit overcooked and dry. 

7F982960-2E03-43E9-B00F-F8916C4775D1.thumb.jpeg.79aaf7a0c1d059a0d3c38e009a4704dd.jpeg

I've never been able to cook a pork roast that wasn't at least somewhat dry.  And I no longer even try.

But I just had a recollection.  Where I once worked, going back more than thirty years, there was a decent quality cafeteria for the staff.  One day they served roast pork.  The chef mentioned that he prided himself that he could cook roast pork without drying out the meat.  And he told me how.  It really was quite good.  Obviously memorably so.

Now if I could only remember his instruction.  As I recall the technique involved a long time at a low temperature.

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've never been able to cook a pork roast that wasn't at least somewhat dry.  And I no longer even try.

But I just had a recollection.  Where I once worked, going back more than thirty years, there was a decent quality cafeteria for the staff.  One day they served roast pork.  The chef mentioned that he prided himself that he could cook roast pork without drying out the meat.  And he told me how.  It really was quite good.  Obviously memorably so.

Now if I could only remember his instruction.  As I recall the technique involved a long time at a low temperature.

I cook pork loin roasts by sous vide and they are always tender and moist. Perfect really.

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I cook pork loin roasts by sous vide and they are always tender and moist. Perfect really.

I was thinking a pork roast would be a little large to vacuum seal.  What is your time and temperature?  Do you brown the meat?

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Me too.  This was a pork shoulder roast  and I was looking for something extremely traditional. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, @JoNorvelleWalker I do Pork loin roast ...137F for 3 hours sealed in a big ziploc bag. Very juicy and fork-tender (example below). I don't brown. Perhaps I should.

For a shoulder or a butt, I go 36 hours  at 140 when I make pulled pork

130.thumb.jpg.bee1f52547537f88813337d6d0772a31.jpg.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 7

Salad for dinner couldn't get much better. 

Gado gado - spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, soy beans, rice noodles, crunchy stir fried green beans, warm and crispy pan fried soft tofu, warm boiled eggs, peanuts, puffed rice, chili. Sauce made of peanut butter, tamarind, coconut, ginger, palm sugar and a few more things.

IMG_20171209_205256.thumb.jpg.75d0ca276a34e23597e8ba73a38eb72a.jpgIMG_20171209_205325.thumb.jpg.405c00f17d5fbdbcbc9ac9f10dbcaa30.jpg

Stirred:

IMG_20171209_205654.thumb.jpg.d5477b26061e6d080cc7fce03fbd8323.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Anna N, @JoNorvelleWalker I do Pork loin roast ...137F for 3 hours sealed in a big ziploc bag. Very juicy and fork-tender (example below). I don't brown. Perhaps I should.

Shoprite featured pork loin on sale this afternoon for $1.99 a pound.  They would not have fit in my refrigerator, my largest pot, nor in my Polyscience.  All this is moot as one would not have fit in my backpack to carry home.  There were none smaller.

I made do with a pair of extra thick loin chops that I shall pretend are a roast.  The experiment is planned for later this long weekend.  Meanwhile have to think about browning.  Further thoughts appreciated.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

The chicken I got a few days ago got used for stock, tandoori and the last of it was the breasts which got breaded, pan fried and served with pasta, sauce and vegetables.

20171229_180201.jpg

What kind of sauce?