• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

DSC03803-001.JPG.f672d02ba444e554270cfeda541f4310.JPG

Hardly any cooking this weekend which is rare for me but understandable given that today is my birthday. Anyway, last night B and I went to a Japanese New Year celebration. This spread was not as Japanese-y as in other years but there were still some favorites.

Clockwise from center, foreground:  chirashi with ikura, tamago and edamame; tangerines clementine oranges; kurikinton (mashed chestnuts and sweet potatoes, topped with sweet chestnut); cherry and apple pie; red bean soup with green tea mochi and regular mochi; fruit salad; cheese plate (blue cheese, brie and Gouda); salmon two ways (lox and broiled); spiral sliced ham; white chocolate with matcha powder; toasted rye bread; beef stew with potatoes, carrot and onion. Not shown are spring rolls with chicken and cheese. O.o

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

Your potatoes look amazing.  How did you cook them?  

Thank you.  This was one mammoth hexapartite russet prepared by the most recent Kenji method -- except that I left on the skin.

The pieces were dropped in boiling, salted water, to which 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda had been added.  After 10 minutes the pieces were drained and returned to the pot to dry (and allow the starch to retrograde).  When the pieces had cooled a bit I tossed them in duck fat and steam baked on the middle rack position 400 deg F. in the CSO for 20 minutes.  Following the first 20 minutes I turned the pieces, sprinkling them with hand crushed rosemary, and continued cooking on steam bake for another 25 minutes or so until my copper Béarnaise pot was washed and dried.

Kenji specifies sauteeing garlic and rosemary in the fat.  The flavored fat is then strained before tossing with the potato pieces, and the herb mixture reserved for a final garnish.  I omitted this step last night.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5a41903fab4c5_christmasdinner2017.jpg.d61c395de6f05c292e7cc217d9690d09.jpg

Clockwise from lower left, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with praline pecan topping, rolls, cranberry salad, gravy, asparagus, Brussels sprouts (sauteed with salt and pepper in EVOO, then hit with some balsamic glaze; simple and good); ham, roast beef, mac and cheese. We had chocolate pecan pie that someone ate a piece of, and a cheesecake that no one touched.

La Branca Prosecco and Coppola claret.

And much shrieking and Christmas chaos from the littles, who mostly filled up on the appetizers (cheese, charcuterie, veggies, pickles, nuts).

And a nap.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This is part of my miserable Christmas dinner. Actually it tasted OK, but looked less so.

Roasted everything on this plate: duck leg, potatoes, carrots and onions. There were also stuffed cabbage rolls and gravy which didn't make it through the photo quality control man in my head. This picture just scraped through on compassionate grounds. I have a new oven which I'm not quite used to yet, so bits were overdone and bits were just done.

20171225_194742.thumb.jpg.5ca4a0122710d2a88cef29232792067b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We had a buffet at my sisters today. I took some raw veggies and a couple dips plus stuffed mushrooms. I made mini sausage meatballs with leftover filling.  Sorry about the blurry picture of the mushrooms.

20171225_141211.jpg

20171225_143640.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9

Lunch and dinner Xmas extravaganza.

Smoked turkey salad for a birthday lunch

006.thumb.jpg.acd9feb39eb4fd21b33a6e7fceacc8dc.jpg

Salmon "log"

012.thumb.jpg.c72b2252a15a217320e72a5af327bc90.jpg

Roasted and pickled veg as a mid Monopoly game snack

017.thumb.jpg.11e0d059a14cdf73e8214e6107cd72ea.jpg

Butternut squash soup pre dinner. Sloppy ladling by me.

025.thumb.jpg.d66ca3ff16fcbcd2d548c91fb9a9b6e1.jpg

• Like 11

I do not celebrate holidays but tonight's dinner was chicken with nut sauce from Carla Capalbo's Tasting Georgia (p350), said to be a speciality of Restaurant Diaroni.  Here is the nut sauce just after incorporating the wine vinegar and before I gave up and transferred everything to the Waring and settled down to a mai tai and a Celebrex.  Just joking about the Celebrex but may reconsider before bed.  This pounding in a mortar business is overrated.

WalnutSauce12252017.png

ChickenWithWalnutSauce12252017.png

I may have overdone it with the Waring as the walnut sauce ended up the consistency of mayonnaise.  The chicken is rubbed with olive oil and baked with paprika, savory, and black pepper.  In addition to walnuts the sauce is garlic, coriander, marigold, fenugreek, and red pepper.

For anyone following along at home this is a far larger platter than I usually show.  They say Georgian meals last for hours which I can well believe.  I had a pomegranate I intended to serve but I gave up and went with cranberry instead.

Edit:  oh, and I forgot the bread.  I notice some of the pictures of Georgian meals show a couple of flat breads on the table and three or more raised breads.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
eGullet software broken (log)
  • Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Of the hundreds, thousands of Cantonese meals and millions and millions of dim sum dishes I’ve made in my time, the one thing I’ve never made is my own har gau/gow gee/prawn dumpling/蝦餃.

The reason for that is that the wrapper dough is a giant pain in the arse; wheat starch AND tapioca starch AND potato starch and a bit of lard then boiling water at the exact right temperature to melt your hands off, but you have to knead it hot and then roll each wrapper individually and pleat them till you can barely feel your fingers. I think I’ve made every dim sum dish in existence, but never these.

Did it today. Prawn, pork fat, bamboo shoot, Shaohsing wine, seasonings and the remnants of my scorched fingertips. Very good. 

6330E778-E699-4962-89CB-36A10C0C6BE1.thumb.jpeg.36b8a47c2b4bb4d8af6d977a0162e952.jpeg

FB3D1EA3-A7B8-444A-B716-D8FDCF34A645.thumb.jpeg.81c18eb81e2ae74e588f96a0d1fe4125.jpeg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I don't celebrate Christmas, but since I have a day off from work, and many local restaurants are closed (gasp!) or have expensive fixed menus for the occasion, I decided to cook this year.  Last year, we went down to our favorite place in Chinatown but it was a madhouse and the quality certainly suffered.  I wanted a bit of time to relax and work on new projects, so I didn't want to make something that required tons of time, but it would be very different from what we normally have.

20171225_192007-1.thumb.jpg.ecbfd4c5a3bd20770103024c38430568.jpg

Dry aged, prime, NY strip steak, potato galette, sauteed asparagus and sauteed pears.  I asked the butcher to save the trimmings from the ridiculously marbled steak - what's cool is that this place, unlike others, only weighs for pricing purposes after trimming!  So I got all this great beef fat for free.  I made a nice fat-shake and then rendered on the stove top - got tons of great beef fat.  Steak was put in the freezer for about 30 minutes just prior to pre-searing in copious beef fat and butter that surprisingly didn't set off the smoke alarm - although it definitely should have.  It then went in the bag (along with the cooled fat used for the searing) and cooked sv for about 2 hours (it was almost 2 inches thick) to a core temp of 125F.  Post searing done with propane torch.  My wife and I agreed that this was the best steak we had ever had - even in a steakhouse.  The beef was crazy tender, juicy, and ridiculously beefy.  Even though it was cooked SV, it had a great grilled flavor, due to it being cooked in the smoky fat.  At 125F, the beef did not lose even an eyedropper full of liquid - the only liquid in the bag was the fat.  Potatoes were yukon gold sliced in the mandoline, cooked with beef fat and butter and some fresh thyme.  Asparagus was the healthy part - just a little grapeseed oil.  The pears are a nice thing I haven't done in a long time.  Sliced thin, sauteed in better and copious black pepper, then flambeed with cognac.  Is there anything better than the combo of butter and cognac?  I wonder...

Washed down with a glass of:

20171225_173616.thumb.jpg.6ed69521ce03490d02bb8d8afb13bbf0.jpg

which was incredible.  I rarely drink alcohol anymore, so when I do, I want it to be worth it.  We have lots of great wine in our wine fridge that was either gifted to us, or procured at great prices, and thanks to the Coravin, we don't have to worry about needing to drink a whole bottle when we only want a glass or two.  This means that there will be more of this wine on another occasion!

• Like 13

I hope everyone had a wonderful day yesterday!  We sure did :)

The usual deviled eggs

IMG_3923.jpg.3170fe76ef2a1568ef1bbfd7a5a04050.jpg

Green bean, mushroom, blue cheese tart

IMG_3925.JPG.09b0c42a970a27b1faeb5342ba4c3ebb.JPG

@Kim Shook's scalloped tomatoes--kind of lol.   I didn't add any sugar because we don't care for the sweet.  The toasties on top with the parm cheese=YUM

IMG_3926.jpg.19e8522265638e9ba2e3bb36a2325318.jpg

Prime rib.  Perfect (for us) 120F in the middle.  

IMG_3927.JPG.3b8c972bc6e8597396557333a83de582.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG.13e4e8974ec92c96128d6305563314f7.JPG

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

@Paul Bacino

wow  very nice.

what sort of extruders came with it ?

should you get the chance , would you take a pic of them ?

the web site didn't say

and their vid of the machine does not play 

https://arcobalenollc.com/products/extruder-mixer-counter-top/#product_AEX10

:(

Edited by rotuts (log)

Just discovered that the pics of main dishes, etc. have been deleted from my phone. I recovered pics of the Christmas tree veggies and cheese platters though, and three desserts.  You will have to imagine the the smoked turkey, mashies, stuffing, cranberry sauce,  two beef roasts with roasted red peppers/pearl onions/sundried tomatoes/artichoke hearts/olives,  cubed & roasted hubbard squash, salad, and rolls. It looked so nice, but I fear some mischievous kids were doodling with my phone.  Also missing is that blessed Spinach-Artichoke cheese dip. Good stuff. 

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

• Like 11

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@rotuts

RT

Well u get two brass extruders of your choice..  I got the buccatini 4mm..i believe, the linguini  3 mm and the chitara--textured spagetti ( sp )   2 mm\  so I bought 1 extra--they have about 160 dies that can fit these machines

Happy Holidays  Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

@Paul Bacino

what do you do with so much pasta ?

do you dry it ?

if you cook right away , do you treat it as ' fresh HomeMade Pasta '

sonds like a foolish question , 

but when Ive made HomeMade , it had egg yolk in it.

would you Machine make pasta w eggs in it ?

I can see this as a really fine hobby

for sure !

the web site is a bit clunky

is there a way to see all the dies ?

just for fun

money-mouth.gif.7f4ed9d1cf3ff7a2c838c4cec4daf62e.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1