• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Pork piccata. This pork tenderloin from the freezer made a great meal. It cost a whopping $2.06. Deb was late from her day at work, followed up by babysitting duties, but I had already pounded out the pork medallions and committed things to the process, so we had a pretty late dinner, but a good one, put on stand-bye when her text let me know she was leaving late, and fired up again, when her headlights turned down the drive.

IMG_1576.thumb.JPG.181e9f06c5d3c8f0572a64e5d909ffb3.JPG

These scalloped potatoes are pretty much bullet proof. They were intended for 7 PM, but tasty when pulled from the still warm oven at 9 PM . They must be cooked in a low, 350 F oven for 2 hours and turned off without opening, when news comes that the night will be a late one. It helps if you soak the potatoes in water before assembly, If you think things might be delayed, which I did.

IMG_1578.thumb.JPG.d1f58bded919ce5ae6b331328edb8820.JPG

Frozen peas are your friend! Ready in minutes.

HC

IMG_1579.thumb.JPG.68e0453031c84baa8031c5ec4d3a2f41.JPGIMG_1580.thumb.JPG.54eab1a0943e212e3904658ae475e290.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

Forgive me, I watched a movie billed as a romantic comedy which left me all in tears.  Kenji roast potatoes in duck fat.  Grilled lamb chops and nicely refreshed thirty second green beans.  Not one onion and I am still in tears.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Forgive me, I watched a movie billed as a romantic comedy which left me all in tears.  Kenji roast potatoes in duck fat.  Grilled lamb chops and nicely refreshed thirty second green beans.  Not one onion and I am still in tears.

Now I need to know the name of the movie!

Fish sandwiches last night.  For me, half of this salmon banh mi.  I'm taking the other half for lunch today

5a3904c14dca4_salmonbanhmi.thumb.jpg.9e7e85dc89b57b9445cd4be415c02482.jpg

For my husband, warm lobster rolls.

5a3904c600029_warmlobsterrolls.thumb.jpg.bcf15af66c7b5823083ed12421d9a189.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

SMOKED meatloaf???  I have never experienced that.  And I'm a big meatloaf fan.  Don't have a smoker, tho.

I don't have a smoker and am no fan of meatloaf but I ALWAYS order some smoked meatloaf when I visit my local BBQ place. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3380F0BE-BD1A-484E-B499-F7EA86262205.thumb.jpeg.98ddafc337eb2e1be3121797b3d47bd0.jpeg

Planned overs. I roasted some vegetables a couple of days ago and some chicken thighs yesterday. Today I combined some of the vegetables with a shredded thigh and some sautéed, sliced onion to make a fast and comforting bowl dinner. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

3380F0BE-BD1A-484E-B499-F7EA86262205.thumb.jpeg.98ddafc337eb2e1be3121797b3d47bd0.jpeg

Planned overs. I roasted some vegetables a couple of days ago and some chicken thighs yesterday. Today I combined some of the vegetables with a shredded thigh and some sautéed, sliced onion to make a fast and comforting bowl dinner. 

That looks wonderful!

Pizza from leftover lean French dough.  I'm not out to win any beauty contests but I'm pleased that with my DeLonghi griddle I can quickly and reliably bake pizza I prefer to the output of the local New York style pizza joints.

• Like 3

Running pasta dough throug vacuum sealer couple of times allowed me to come home at 6:30,  make fresh pasta, roll it through kitchen aid attachment, serve it with caviar sauce by 7:30.

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.92c534a0bb7fc3155d1748dc0b5345de.JPG

IMG_0392.thumb.JPG.e969c22e25e9e72df7fede6711c4eaa0.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

I made a spinach salad with tomatoes, white onion, chopped boiled egg and crumbled bacon. The dressing was white vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and just a little bit of sugar. This one was raw instead of wilted and I enjoyed it a lot. I like them both ways, but decided it wasn't worth it to stand on one leg and toss in the skillet this time.

Then I had cottage cheese (full fat, of course) with fresh blackberries and canned apricots. Canned apricots are better than the fresh ones I can get here in season. I love apricots, but was spoiled by a tree from my childhood in San Diego.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

11 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I made a spinach salad with tomatoes, white onion, chopped boiled egg and crumbled bacon. The dressing was white vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and just a little bit of sugar. This one was raw instead of wilted and I enjoyed it a lot. I like them both ways, but decided it wasn't worth it to stand on one leg and toss in the skillet this time.

Then I had cottage cheese (full fat, of course) with fresh blackberries and canned apricots. Canned apricots are better than the fresh ones I can get here in season. I love apricots, but was spoiled by a tree from my childhood in San Diego.

May I please like this except for the chopped boiled egg?  I confess more often than not I eat my spinach raw.

• Like 1

So far a generous bowl of Chex Mix, gift of my dear boss, accompanying my mai tai.  How, how could I have run out of mixed nuts?

Meanwhile I'm sitting here tracking the progress of my new Italian food processor!  That is supposed to be delivered in a few short hours.  It just left Leipzig.  I hope beyond hope DHL can really make this happen.  (Though for the 77 Euro shipping charge they should.)

I find myself craving pork and chicken* -- neither of which I have in house.  It's winter and I've not made it to the food store in some while.  Don't worry, no danger of starving...more a danger of running out of W&N.  No points to amazon for discontinuing Fresh delivery just when I need it most.

There's a bag of questionable sous vide meat in the refrigerator but I don't know what it is.  Some of my son's pumpkin soup?  Heel of bread?  Bread that I've been eating twice a day and is not getting any younger.  Then again there is an avocado.  Or maybe just another mai tai.

*OK and now spinach.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 12/18/2017 at 6:15 PM, robirdstx said:

FB9E4FCF-90C6-436E-AE16-64132B6F1636.thumb.jpeg.e3f5190be0f9cd82d8ed0a1509980b7a.jpeg

Beef Stew ~ made in my Instant Pot

Great looking stew.   Just the way I like it.  Brothy rather than a thick gravy.  

5a3bc8472ac27_DecadentBrownieDecember17th2017.thumb.jpg.ba59ea520613735c974b346e70b3e9f3.jpg

This was suppose to be dessert but ended up being dinner. Put a pan of my favourite Decadent Brownies in the oven when I got home from work Sunday

5a3bc824615a6_BananaBrownieSplitDecember16th20172.thumb.jpg.aae81d31746014444326e1c87f9f1784.jpg

and made Warm Brownie and Banana Splits using the caramel sauce I had leftover from the apple dumplings.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 15