• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

@HungryChris – I also find fish and chips a major PITA.  Prep, clean up, getting everything crispy and hot at the same time.  But, at least where I live, if I want really good fish and chips, I have to do it myself.  And when you eat it, the PITA kinds of fades away.  Kinda like having a baby. xD

Breakfast for dinner tonight:

DSCN7699.thumb.JPG.e7fd8e54b2a0bf938b589c96702e9ebc.JPG

Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese and homemade white bread.

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@HungryChris – I also find fish and chips a major PITA.  Prep, clean up, getting everything crispy and hot at the same time.  But, at least where I live, if I want really good fish and chips, I have to do it myself.  And when you eat it, the PITA kinds of fades away.  Kinda like having a baby. xD

Amen, @Kim Shook, Fish and chips, like good pizza, must be eaten when it is ready and just does not travel well. If I was lucky enough to have a place that did them  well near me, I would probably forgo the whole issue, but that is not the case. Heating large quantities of oil over gas flames, say nothing of buying, storing and keeping fish fry and vegetable fry oils separate, to me, is a major PITA, but the payoff, when I have no alternative, makes me foster on.

HC

• Like 3

Butternut Squash w/ Pork        Taco

Roasted squash ( roasted in Reynolds wrap on grill ) cleaned with Tamis to finish / Prk Blade and rib cut in Pressure cooker ( 45 Min ) -lime/scallions/ cilantro-Northwoods seasoning/water -- Jalapeno crack/radish/ cilantro/ Shiracha

38060558695_704b16cc74_o.thumb.jpg.21f2c09f115c1bc39c4381732c36594a.jpg

• Like 12

Its good to have Morels

on this snowy Saturday(sorry dear Shelby) turkey vegetable chili for me and a chicken stew for John.  It is one I am testing for someone and the only comment I got was that it didn't have enough potatoes to protein.  He did say the spices/veg were good.  I explained...yet again...when testing I have to make the recipe to specs so I can identify any problems.   Now, for him, I can make extra potatoes and some carrots to add to the stew . Also making some green beans to add as asked.   OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! He is asking for some veg   it IS a Christmas miracle.  (sorry for being so snarky).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made the worst dinner I have had the misfortune to cook in years last night. It was my fault: it was snowing and I did not want to go to the store so I typed the ingredients I had into google and grabbed the first recipe that came up.  It was a chicken and kale saute with lemon, parmesan and white wine.  It sounded good on paper but ugh...I took photos but had to delete them, I hated it so much.

Luckily I had baked up some soft pretzel sticks on a whim that afternoon so that became our "dinner" later with some Game of Thrones.  We are rewatching it with my niece and nephew.  

pretzels.thumb.jpg.e8a1bf51fad585a3135b989dcd27b557.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Mr. Kim smoked a whole brisket for a work party this week.  (Nibbles while I sliced it were enough for a 2nd dinner, so I guess this is where this belongs)  Out of the smoker:

DSCN7713.JPG.8842606aee530a22abfec3be2b86c221.JPG

It was as tender as can be and had great flavor, but wasn’t as moist as it should have been:

image.png.2930c35221efb225e6b10138c8b4b441.png

He was very disappointed and is going to have to do some research.  But the taste was fantastic.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Sure is a pretty thing, though.

Made my maiden voyage at cassoulet last night. It will not be my last. Lord, but that was wonderful.

Meats included salt pork, one duck confit leg quarter, Toulouse sausages, and chicken thighs. I contemplated a smoked hamhock, and decided against it. Didn't miss it.

5a2dcd5cbed65_cassouletmakings1209.jpg.a57eaee5adbc23fcc320bef1a502d1e7.jpg

Beans were a pound bag of Rancho Gordo Marcella cannelini beans. Yes, they are as good as they are claimed to be. Possibly better. I cooked them up with carrot, celery, onion, garlic, sage, thyme, bay leaves and cloves after browning the salt pork, sausages and chicken. At that point on Friday, I decided it was too late to proceed for that night's dinner, so I shifted gears and prepped the cassoulet to the point of going in the oven, and refrigerated it. That meant pulling out most of the vegetation, and adding in the meats.

5a2dce00b2894_cassouletassembled1209.jpg.3bdc32ed79742b9835c3e272587afca3.jpg

It braised away in the oven for about six hours at 300 on Saturday. Along the way, some marvelous alchemy transformed the beans into a collection of marvelously creamy bean-shaped chunks of plant protein. I have never, ever tasted a better bean. Ever.

5a2dce64d3586_cassouletdone1210.jpg.d21a73716deffa2de3b035b0b3f0802c.jpg

I keep hitting some weird filter button to put photos in sepia, and I can't figure out how to get them out. Oops. But this was the finished version.

5a2dce8c8196a_cassouletplate1210.jpg.5f6e5280fa635d9693bc93e036826dec.jpg

And here was the plate. I had some frozen red cabbage I thawed and heated, and I made some home fries because they just sounded like they'd be good. Didn't need them. Didn't need the bread. 

Cassoulet was to die for. Recipe here. If I recall, it is Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe from Serious Eats.

Today, the kids came over, so pot roast became the Sunday midday dinner go-to, because it's relatively easy to fix. Accompanied by corn pudding and field peas.

5a2dcf4098e2d_sundaypotroast1210.thumb.jpg.100527fbf74aba81b96892a843085c0b.jpg

And finished off with peach pie and ice cream. Froze the peaches from a local orchard last summer.

5a2dcf5f3ea76_peachpie1210.jpg.8cde036814fa4e98912a1f225b733183.jpg

We pretty much decimated it. This was before the son-in-law went back for a second dessert.

Still full.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

And to add my two cents worth, good call cooking it low and slow rather than in the Instapot.  Time allows the fat to render.

finding the Toulouse Sausage might be difficult .  I could make them I suppose.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1