• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Last night I tested a parsnip mash and roasted brussel sprout recipe in the latest Food and Wine magazine, thinking it might be a nice addition to Christmas dinner.  It was tasty and might make the cut.  Topped with U10 scallops.

5a1f5648eb052_scallops.thumb.jpg.f10c4e7e2dd82273d60cbaaef376a1bb.jpg

Thanks!  I logged in to the library to read the recipe. Stunningly simple.  I think I'd love to try it.

...with what I am not quite sure.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks!  I logged in to the library to read the recipe. Stunningly simple.  I think I'd love to try it.

...with what I am not quite sure.

In the article it was paired with a standing rib roast.  That's what I usually make for the Christmas meat.  I don't eat red meat so I spend a lot of time trying out various side dishes in advance, since that's my holiday meal.

Last night we had roasted chanterelle mushrooms on a garlic rubbed baguette with gruyere cheese

chanterelles.thumb.jpg.181a82d7204b69df3e3ab46f7d298644.jpg

• Like 12

Did something I've never done before, larb.  It was a good use of the SV'd beef shoulder roast I had in the fridge.   Sliced thin and diced fine.  Lemon grass from the yard, cilantro, heat from Korean gochujang, Vietnamese  fish sauce and Thai chili sauce, squeezed oranges for acid,  sautéed onions and garlic and crushed peanuts over shredded romaine  all pulled this together.  It was a mixture of countries  but it worked 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 8

On 11/29/2017 at 5:16 AM, HungryChris said:

Shake and bake country style pork ribs, leftover scalloped potatoes and some beet greens. I put the beet greens on my plate because that's the only plate they would end up on.

HC

IMG_1321.thumb.JPG.5415700ee57bdea59cfec6508e0dc9d3.JPGIMG_1322.thumb.JPG.4657afd24e6364bafd05d4f5f20c01d3.JPG

Wait a minute! You sit in the other seat when Ms. HungryChris is there? I see your breakfast posts and always put her to the right hand side... :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

Wait a minute! You sit in the other seat when Ms. HungryChris is there? I see your breakfast posts and always put her to the right hand side... :D

You caught me! I don't know if I should apologize or hang my head in shame. I take center stage when I am by myself, but put Deb  in prime time when she is there.

HC

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Amazon has stopped delivery of Fresh to my area, so tonight was the last of good seafood for a while:

Dinner11302017.png

Spaghetti con le Vongole from Time Life The Cooking of Italy recipe booklet that had been lost for twenty years.  Served with regrettably stale bread.

The last of the excellent seafood I used to be able to get from amazon.  Parsley from my dining room.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 4

Up early today to catch a ride to pick up my car with renewed brakes. Off to do a bit of shopping that included a new pair of waders in an effort to get in some late season clamming. The low tide was right for entering the water just before noon....but, a quick call to the Groton Shellfish Commission dashed my hopes as the beds were closed due to a recent heavy rain. A quick change of plans. I picked up some take out sushi, headed home, pan seared a small Ahi tuna steak....

DSC01412.thumb.JPG.dccb25063733c3df37ab5ecfbae851af.JPG

and opened that bottle of Akvavit that has been in thee freezer for weeks.

DSC01416.thumb.JPG.ffed6c7afdcc557fd97f041786f37b04.JPG

Two glasses of this stuff ( I love it, BTW) has a way of making the evening rush at you. Oh, wait, it's still lunch time. Forgive me if I ramble on. Cheers, @Anna N!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9

I needed to use more of the SV shoulder roast  I have in the fridge.   Used it to make a childhood favorite rice and peas dish. Ground meat, onions and garlic, seasoned with baharat spices  with peas  served over rice.  Half  an onion and a couple cloves of garlic went In as well.  The fine chopping of the roast works so well 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 10

My plan was for linguini with clam sauce, but the chopped clams were all labeled as use by yesterday, so I moved on to porterhouse steaks at $3.99 pp. They were much bigger than I could handle, but I do love a good steak sandwich. I cooked them up , knowing that Deb and I could never finish these at the dinner table, but will use them up as leftovers.

HC

IMG_1352.thumb.JPG.fafe44053412bfaa76b55f36bd75b983.JPGIMG_1355.thumb.JPG.3effd6db03678eb2f7b06397b30c4026.JPG 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

6D4FD227-0288-4800-8AE7-7E901EC1D3F8.thumb.jpeg.f0780115e7956a3419898e7538ba2a37.jpeg

Sous Vide and then Grill Seared Beef Rib Eye

598F5890-D5FA-4989-964B-0FFB3CD56D5D.thumb.jpeg.192cafd8fd287f16768a77e4153c3c0d.jpeg

Rice Cooker Risotto

4721C940-8EAB-47BA-B491-D78194E69CF5.thumb.jpeg.17a4bea08d5c37135a623a961a19df1e.jpeg

Beef Rib Eye, Risotto and Steamed Broccoli

I'm not promising to try it myself but how do you make risotto in a rice cooker?  A Zojirushi by the looks of it.

Edit:  nice steak by the way.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not promising to try it myself but how do you make risotto in a rice cooker?  A Zojirushi by the looks of it.

Edit:  nice steak by the way.

Thank you! Yes, a Zojirushi Cooker. I basically use the technique used in this recipe:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-risotto-in-the-rice-cooker-909024

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 1:54 AM, liamsaunt said:

Last night I tested a parsnip mash and roasted brussel sprout recipe in the latest Food and Wine magazine, thinking it might be a nice addition to Christmas dinner.  It was tasty and might make the cut.  Topped with U10 scallops.

5a1f5648eb052_scallops.thumb.jpg.f10c4e7e2dd82273d60cbaaef376a1bb.jpg

Scallops? - anytime, and almost any style @liamsaunt:) - the problem in Warsaw is that they are not always to buy as a fresh product

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 1

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram