• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

11 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Inspired by @Raamo ‘s Sloppy Joes...

DDF6DBC8-EF21-4534-A355-586B00F2CB4A.thumb.jpeg.937882cc54599510c524fd27890227bf.jpeg

...tonight, we had Sloppy Joes on Toasted Ciabatta Buns with Red Skin Potato Salad

We had sloppy joes made with bison on whole wheat buns and a green salad last night....

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

27 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Wild Florida shrimp in a garlic butter lemon sauce on pasta

scampi.thumb.jpg.e6a3c00ec1ae1e4b996fe1cb5d29b277.jpg

This is going to be John's dinner tonight....I'll have another sloppy joe and salad.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Arrived home at 9 pm after a two day trip, tired and hungry, but was able to pick up the makings of a meal and put it together.

I did a sort of 青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn) which is stir fried pork slices with green chilli peppers. Also has the usual suspects: garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, and scallions. A very common fast food type dish around these parts. It is normally served with rice, but I'm not normal so I served it with 刀削面 (dāo xiāo miàn) or "knife cut noodles". I'd like to claim that I made the noodles myself, but it would be an outrageous lie. I bought them dried from the local store.

20171128_215411.thumb.jpg.717e5acd88c0ff0f93516425eb52b375.jpg

20171128_215416.thumb.jpg.bd3549fc95f6bd4215bd4cf69573f602.jpg

Tomorrow morning, I have to leave again for a three day trip into rural ethnic minority territory.  Hope to have some interesting food to report at the weekend.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 22

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I did a sort of 青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn) which is stir fried pork slices with green chilli peppers. Also has the usual suspects: garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, and scallions. A very common fast food type dish around these parts. It is normally served with rice, but I'm not normal so I served it with 刀削面 (dāo xiāo miàn) or "knife cut noodles". I'd like to claim that I made the noodles myself, but it would be an outrageous lie. I bought them dried from the local store.

It is when I see things like this, apparently simply thrown together because the technique is so familiar and ingredients readily available, that I think I really need to work harder at learning to stir-fry and stocking the proper ingredients.  I always like the results when I do it, but haven't managed to incorporate the knowledge into my cookery the way you (and @Dejah , and many others here) have.  Thank you for the inspiration.  I look forward to the rural interesting food report!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

35 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Arrived home at 9 pm after a two day trip, tired and hungry, but was able to pick up the makings of a meal and put it together.

This looks so good. Makes my mouth water.   I need to make more dishes like this.  You always make it look so easy.

5a1d883b76ae2_RoastChickenNovember27th2017.thumb.jpg.096635e3632f5b6a06682a2a0e39aabe.jpg

Roasted a chicken in my new steam oven last night.  Moe ate the legs last night for dinner.

5a1d883469e30_HotChickenSandwichNovember28th2017.thumb.jpg.70ab87da53c0d860dfaa62f69f686e34.jpg

This morning I made hot chicken sandwiches with double fried fries.  

• Like 15

Had a couple of hunks of shoulder roast that I didn't sous vide the other day.   Sliced it very thin and did a velveting technique and hot water blanch with the meat.  Had one stalk of broccoli and some mini red peppers.  All this came together  as a beef stir fry with some peanuts for crunch

image.jpeg

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Four (4) French fries

Self-restraint after the Thanksgiving excesses? :

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The last of the leftover turkey made into hash with potato, onion and BBQ sauce, served with snap peas.  Headed out on the road again for 12 days so I won't be cooking but I'll be lurking!

turkey-hash.jpg.cf750693efa57a55d7ef394779263f8d.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Last night I tested a parsnip mash and roasted brussel sprout recipe in the latest Food and Wine magazine, thinking it might be a nice addition to Christmas dinner.  It was tasty and might make the cut.  Topped with U10 scallops.

5a1f5648eb052_scallops.thumb.jpg.f10c4e7e2dd82273d60cbaaef376a1bb.jpg

• Like 16