• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

What I am thankful for is that we didn’t end up in the ER.  We didn’t find out until after we ate that her stuffed turkey sat on the counter STILL STUFFED for almost 5 hours. 

@Kim, reminds me of my mother.  I think because of her I'm immuned to food poisoning.     I grew up with gas stoves.  The kind with pilot lights.  We usually had holiday turkey dinners around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  For space purposes, Mom would put the turkey back in the turned off oven for a few hours.  Incubating from the heat from the pilot light.  And there was often still stuffing in the bird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Ye gods, those wings look good.  What's in the sauce?

They are good.  I was sad that I only made a few.  I could have eaten like twelve of them lol.

I used this recipe

@gfweb, what a lovely Thanksgiving spread, with the formal dining setting.  I miss that.

Please tell more about the jalapeño cornbread madeleines.  That looks like something I'd like to try.  If I can get it right, it might go well at our family Christmas dinner. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

Sorry, but I can't fully get the issue (maybe cultural and /or language): your MILs turkey was cooked and then left to cool for 5 hours ? And usually to do that you have to remove the stuffing (bread ?) ? Why does that mean it is unsafe to eat ?

I don't think it is a cultural thing, but a science thing.  Stuffing left in a bird that long at room temperature is an invitation to food poisoning.  

• Like 1

@Smithy  Thanks!  We use the dining room a lot...few times a week. It cleans up as easily as anywhere else LOL and it keeps Henry from begging for food

The cornbread recipe (which isn't critical I guess) is

3/4 cup flour

1 1/4 cup corn meal

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1/2 cup peanut oil

1 beaten egg

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

I mix in the jarred diced jalapeno and pour into the oiled madaleine pan and bake about 13 min at 400 F.

To allow for non-jalapeno eaters I usually have the jalapeno pieces in the basket with the dark side up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Smithy  Thanks!  We use the dining room a lot...few times a week. It cleans up as easily as anywhere else LOL and it keeps Henry from begging for food

The cornbread recipe (which isn't critical I guess) is

3/4 cup flour

1 1/4 cup corn meal

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1/2 cup peanut oil

1 beaten egg

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

I mix in the jarred diced jalapeno and pour into the oiled madaleine pan and bake about 13 min at 400 F.

To allow for non-jalapeno eaters I usually have the jalapeno pieces in the basket with the dark side up.

There are, I believe, two schools of cornbread thought:

1. Sugar in cornbread.

2. No sugar in cornbread.

I am of the latter school.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

There are, I believe, two schools of cornbread thought:

1. Sugar in cornbread.

2. No sugar in cornbread.

I am of the latter school.

Knew somebody would object :D

Where's @Jaymes?

There is another division as well.  Cakey vs non-cakey corn bread.

I'm ambivalent about the sugar; to me, CB is good either way depending on the application.

But cakey CB is an abomination.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

It seems non-cakey cornbread would be an absolute requirement for madeleines anyway, but I appreciate the assurance that these aren't cakey. If I leave out the sugar that will make them edible to the diabetic in our family. Now, if I can work out a way to omit the egg another member of the family will be able to enjoy them.  (Our lot has quite a collection of food problems nowadays.) OTOH I don't want to wreck the recipe. Experiments are in order. :-)

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tonight I made my homemade sloppy joe - start with onions and oil, add beef, then crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bunch of spices, even a touch of sherry vinegar. 

Here's the pot with our e pig - lets it boil with the lid just ajar - found these in Vancouver and I love this pig.

20171125_175351.thumb.jpg.8e45a0f42a9acbdb0dafaba4e5cdca98.jpg

And here it is on MB Hamburger Buns - toasted - I managed to polish off two of these.  One at a time - since soggy bread is bad bread.

20171125_173700.thumb.jpg.c3c88e7036e0cd9a37d4bcad36a0815c.jpg

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Raamo said:

Tonight I made my homemade sloppy joe - start with onions and oil, add beef, then crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bunch of spices, even a touch of sherry vinegar. 

Here's the pot with our e pig - lets it boil with the lid just ajar - found these in Vancouver and I love this pig.

20171125_175351.thumb.jpg.8e45a0f42a9acbdb0dafaba4e5cdca98.jpg

And here it is on MB Hamburger Buns - toasted - I managed to polish off two of these.  One at a time - since soggy bread is bad bread.

20171125_173700.thumb.jpg.c3c88e7036e0cd9a37d4bcad36a0815c.jpg

Buns look great.  I love sloppy joes.  Need to make them soon.  

• Like 1

I brought home some turkey breast that my MIL had cooked Wednesday in case the whole turkey wasn't enough.  To me, the real reason to roast a turkey is sandwiches – hot and cold.  And since I didn’t bring any gravy home from her house, this was dinner tonight:

DSCN7645.JPG.e0294f88a59fbf546f8a133aff7cdad8.JPG

White bread, cranberry sauce, turkey, lettuce and mayo.  And Utz potato chips, of course. 

And some of my favorite pasta salad, Wegman’s capellini w/ mozzarella and tomatoes:

DSCN7646.JPG.b557383ed4948f5742a7ea9c7066cb42.JPG

• Like 15

Every year that it is not my turn to do the whole family Thanksgiving meal, I make a mini meal the next day so we can have "leftovers"  This is it minus the cranberry chutney.  I made the cornbread with a little chicken stock and water.  When it came out of the oven, I didn't like how it tasted an didn't plan to serve it but Charlie had a piece after it cooled and I was setting the table. He said it was really good so I served it too.  The turkey recipe had seasoned butter added under the skin.  I expected it to melt, baste and flavor the whole bird but it came out with dark brown splotches on the skin where I put it, so I left out that picture.  I couldn't tell that it added much flavor either so I made a note to not try that one again.  I asked Charlie if he wanted rice or mashed potatoes, thinking he'd say rice.  (I only had one potato). He said mashed so I mashed a potato. It was  enough for both of us luckily.  

20171124_134723.jpg

• Like 16

This wasn't my dinner but I thought some of you might be interested. The 20-year-old daughter of a friend is studying in university in China. Like almost all college students here, she lives in a dormitory about 30 feet by 12 feet - with 7 other students. They have a bed (bunks), a small space for their belongings and a table for study. There are lavatorial and shower facilities, but there are no cooking facilities. Institutional food in canteens.

Last night, she sent me a picture of an illicit hotpot dinner they prepared in their dormitory (one of them having smuggled in a portable induction cooker and an electric pan for rice). I have sent her a message asking her what everything is in those containers, but it is the weekend and she has a part-time job. I'll edit if and when she gets back to me.

5a1a68f05d4fe_tiffshotpot.jpg.45a624cf58e6237c9798251789ec388c.jpg

Edit:

I have now been duly informed that the front left bowl, marked below, is chicken and coriander/cilantro.

mmexport1511759180210.jpg.84c006bfafeff559e03b648f0298333e.jpg

The two bowls top right are various metballs (pork, beef, shrimp,  fish).

mmexport1511759186498.jpg.a15e908036566b112e6172e411663ded.jpg

Everything else is vegetables.

This is neither meat or vegetable, but looks like fun.

mmexport1511600189675.thumb.jpg.279e0fde92aee5dfc8dadb6d9930da66.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 20
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Last night, she sent me a picture of an illicit hotpot dinner they prepared in their dormitory (one of them having smuggled in a portable induction cooker and an electric pan for rice). 

That's quite the feast! Better looking than what we did in our illicit dorm cookery. It looks like they put their electric kettles to good use, as well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That's quite the feast! Better looking than what we did in our illicit dorm cookery. It looks like they put their electric kettles to good use, as well.

Yes. Nothing if not resourceful. The joys of youth!

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A31ED2D1-5126-4167-B5CE-603A5E069651.thumb.jpeg.212b59a58c84426e1fcbed29666771c3.jpeg

Sous vide pork chop, sugar snaps sautéed and then drizzled with a little sesame oil and a homemade bun. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog