• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Great looking meals all.  Potato pizza is so underrated!  A staple with my family.  We often will pan roast them with garlic and onions.  Occasionally a smoked Scamorza will join in the usual Mozz.  Great looking crust, BTW.

Last night - Cumbrae's 6 week aged Rib Eye - Deckle end cut.  Served with crispy roasted potatoes and freshly picked sauteed spinach.

Williams Selyem '09 Pinot to accompany.

Cheeses in lieu of dessert (I will take cheese any day over sweets!)

• Like 4

Charmaine Solomon's Thai Stir Fried Cabbage, Pork & Shrimp.  Sounds like a weird combo but tasted good.  Flavoured with coriander root/black pepper seasoning, fish sauce, sugar and chilli with extra chilli in oil added on the side.  Fresh salad on the side with Viet kinda dressing.  

DSC02253.thumb.JPG.86e55406f2e9bfd8358fc0b5448d9214.JPG

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Shelby said:

I hear ya, but I had to be ahead of the decorating game this year due to the hunter coming in.  If I waited until after he left, I'd be too far behind. 

more on the hunting season blog I hope?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Non-traditional, kitchen sink "chili" with chicken. Frankly it's pretty far-fetched to call it chili, it has beans and many of the spices you'd associate with chili, but I also include diced yam (I like the sweet offsetting the spicy), lentils, and brown rice. Served with some avocado and pickled jalapenos on the side for DH.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Photograph belongs in the gallery of regrettable food. But it was tasty. Tagliatelle topped with some butter chicken I found in the freezer. Nothing like mixing up the cuisines. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@suzilightning – I’ve been dying for a turkey sandwich w/ cranberries for a week!  Since we are going to my MIL, I sure hope she makes enough for leftovers and I don’t have to roast a turkey breast in the middle of everything I have to do next week! :)

@Anna N – I think the chopsticks make perfect sense – that is, of course, assuming some good bread (God knows you should have enough of that around your house lately;)) to scoop up any missed sauce!

Last night - salad:

DSCN7641.JPG.62684af6146073953c827e5dd0a9d651.JPG

Roasted garlic shrimp, rice and green beans:

DSCN7643.JPG.83c0616179c74e20b90245faa5383ab3.JPG

This shrimp was especially good – Mr. Kim wanted shrimp and we looked in every one of our usual grocery stores and didn’t really care for any that we saw.  Happened to see an automatic billboard at just the right moment: “Jumbo Gulf shrimp $7.99/LB.”!  This was from Tom Leonard and it was perfect – sweet and firm and tasting of shrimp instead of chlorine!  I just roasted it – the easiest way I’ve found to cook shrimp and have it stay moist and not overcooked.  I rarely cook it any other way.

Wegman’s cheddar bread:

DSCN7642.JPG.16ffa7f8b49a7aa17cb05cae7a914c97.JPG

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Anna N – I think the chopsticks make perfect sense – that is, of course, assuming some good bread (God knows you should have enough of that around your house lately;)) to scoop up any missed sauce!

They are also almost the perfect utensils for eating many, many salads!

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7347755C-E0A5-4429-986C-29EAC694A5CB.thumb.jpeg.8795e956f19e9de5d1d8bbedc0557d97.jpeg

4129D04D-8A99-4AE8-A614-8F5910BC2031.thumb.jpeg.3bd0b242ca75b8adcd17a17eb6e66c11.jpeg

I was given two of these little honey nut squash and some tomatoes. I roasted the squash and then brushed it with miso and butter. Tomatoes I roasted with some garlic, some herbes de Provence and some parmesan cheese.  I smeared the tomatoes on some bread. (And largely ruined the whole thing by drinking one of the beers that the (adult) kids keep in my fridge.)  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Made pasties tonight with a mix of venison and beef, and the usual veggies of rutabega, potato, carrot and onion.  They were delish! 

Dessert was pumpkin pie made with the pumpkins from the garden. Also made pumpkin whip-dip for my grandson who is allergic to eggs.  Graham crackers are the perfect tool for transferring the dip to his adorable little face. =) 

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

This morning's dinner:

Dinner11202017.png

Black Bean Cassoulet, at least cassoulet is what the recipe calls it.  Good stuff.  I try to make it once or twice a year as it's the only action my second largest Le Creuset ever gets to see.

Boule11202017.png

Served with boule and Boursin.

• Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou