• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Busy time of the term...soon...only 12 more days and 64 essays between me and freedom!:$

Quick suppers then...

Roast chicken with berbere spices. Mucked together carrots and mashed cauliflower leftover from previous night.

5a0aee574ee6e_BerbereChicken1555.jpg.c6e63b820d47347123ff838b83d233c9.jpg                                 

Picked up a bone-in pork shoulder on sale at local store. Cut into 3 hunks and used one last night for Curry Pork Stew in the Instant Pot. Threw in chunks of onion, chayote, mushrooms.

5a0aef2b5678c_PorkCurry1558.jpg.ca95e55fc1e01c340091db440758faa5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

41 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Curry Pork Stew in the Instant Pot. Threw in chunks of onion, chayote, mushrooms

This looks delicious. I have the pork, chayote, and mushrooms in the fridge and I have an instant pot. Is there any chance that you would share the recipe to go with them? It would sure be appreciated.

8 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This looks delicious. I have the pork, chayote, and mushrooms in the fridge and I have an instant pot. Is there any chance that you would share the recipe to go with them? It would sure be appreciated.

No real recipe. I was trying to stay low-carb, thus the chayote and mushrooms.
I browned the seasoned cubed pork, add chunks of onion and chayote. Added Patak curry paste AND dry Indian curry powder. Added half a container of chicken broth and set the IP for 30 minutes. I used the quick release, added the mushrooms and set it on sautee to cook the mushrooms. Thicken with a bit of cornstarch slurry.

It turned out delicious.

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I worked one summer in a fish market and learned a whole bunch of things about fish. I learned how to recognize truly fresh fillets from the also ran, by the look and smell of them. I also learned that the biggest fish have had time to accumulate parasitic worms. We called these "pickers" because we had to hold them up to a bright light and pick out the parasitic worms. As a result, I like the smaller fillets and today, I found some  small haddock fillets about the size I like <.5 LBs each from Point Judith, Ma. Fish and chips and fresh cole slaw were suddenly put on the menu.

HC

IMG_1231.thumb.JPG.cabb4092287c3e8c0e2099ed89e6eacb.JPGIMG_1234.thumb.JPG.b4addb2777cfef4e95a2fc3c6cab1954.JPG

• Like 15

roasted salmon and broccoli with a chili-garlic-soy glaze.  Served with rice.  Next time I will roast the salmon and the broccoli on separate pans as too much of the glaze ran off the salmon and onto the broccoli for my liking. 

salmon.thumb.jpg.97130e4c0f4e8c968661820f42900e1e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

roasted salmon and broccoli with a chili-garlic-soy glaze.  Served with rice.  Next time I will roast the salmon and the broccoli on separate pans as too much of the glaze ran off the salmon and onto the broccoli for my liking. 

salmon.thumb.jpg.97130e4c0f4e8c968661820f42900e1e.jpg

I'd have guessed that the salmon and broccoli needed different times and/or temperatures.  What did you use? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'd have guessed that the salmon and broccoli needed different times and/or temperatures.  What did you use? 

I started the broccoli first, and added the salmon to the baking sheet after 10 minutes. Total baking time was 20 minutes at 400 degrees. The salmon was medium rare which is my preference. 

• Like 2

I've been super busy lately with family obligations and overseeing the bake sale for the Holiday Market at our church.  So meals have been pick-up at best.  A couple of recent ones - 

Easy dinner of tuna salad sandwiches and tomato soup:

DSCN7632.JPG.f2921c31416b91b8a7a962af5b21b225.JPG

DSCN7633.thumb.JPG.8cf32a47af8eff8eaaa02f29dab149f9.JPG

I was in the middle of a baking marathon for Saturday’s bake sale, so that was good ole Campbells’!

The day of the bake sale dinner was Short Sugar’s BBQ (Reidsville NC) from the freezer and fixed up Kraft:

DSCN7638.JPG.017232869a327c168e48e814a82e05cc.JPG

and, The Salad:

DSCN7637.JPG.630af492dd7f99dd6a047ac5d714b469.JPG

:D

• Like 18

Pizza Margherita for dinner three of the last four nights.  Two, including tonight's, were excellent, one was not that great.  I think I now have the parameters dialed in.  Of course I am certain I can still do better.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We had Risotto (?) for Dinner. 

If I could get a do-over I'd probably rename myself "ITryReallyHardToCookButIhaveNeverEatenTheseThingsBeforeSoIDon'tKnowIfI'mDoingItRight' - Catchy no? My food experience is extremely limited restaurant wise, all I have to go on are my beloved cook books and the Internet. So I don't know if this is Risotto, I don't know if I got the "slow wave" texture the recipe required (I've lived in the UK and Australia and only know 'No Waves' and 'Frick thats a big Wave'). 

I used Arborio Rice, Homemade chicken stock (thank you freezer clearing post), white wine, enough butter to make James Martin proud and a (un)Healthy amount of Parmesan. Then I put in some peas because it looked like my Nannys rice pudding. I liked it, my carnivores said they did... have a feeling they were looking for the main course though.

Edited to add: I don't think It's 'Gooey' enough... I know it's not quite runny enough.. it was gooey to me but, I'm ooze phobic. 

risotto.thumb.jpg.b43b86c5b5a876c24384aa1e5aef59e5.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

It's always hard to judge from a photo, but I'd say your assessment is probably correct (and yeah, being "ooze-phobic" won't help). :)

The other thing is that it thickens further as it sits, so can be absolutely just-so but then become drier again if you don't plate it immediately. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Braised lamb shanks with fresh rosemary in the Instant Pot. Could have done with an extra 10 minutes, or allowing for natural release for fall-off-the-bone tenderness. But then I like a bit of chew.:$

Threw in chopped onion, garlic, potato, daikon, celery, canned diced tomato, and red wine. Supper was ready in an hour - including prep.

Lots of delicious gravy left. so might throw in ground lamb for a shepherd's pie later on.

5a0d868e8e496_BraisedRosemaryLambShanks1564.jpg.d8aad4016e37f02e91611297d009e73d.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Braised lamb shanks with fresh rosemary in the Instant Pot.

Why don’t we have any Emoji of green with envy?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a fairly substantial, if uninteresting lunch today, so this evening a spinach omelette (duck eggs) and chips sufficed. With a beer, so all four food groups are covered. Protein, carbs, veg and alcohol.

om.thumb.jpg.f0f8e60cd7e34328ee2ade0fadedb851.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

We had Risotto (?) for Dinner. 

If I could get a do-over I'd probably rename myself "ITryReallyHardToCookButIhaveNeverEatenTheseThingsBeforeSoIDon'tKnowIfI'mDoingItRight' - Catchy no? My food experience is extremely limited restaurant wise, all I have to go on are my beloved cook books and the Internet. So I don't know if this is Risotto, I don't know if I got the "slow wave" texture the recipe required (I've lived in the UK and Australia and only know 'No Waves' and 'Frick thats a big Wave'). 

I used Arborio Rice, Homemade chicken stock (thank you freezer clearing post), white wine, enough butter to make James Martin proud and a (un)Healthy amount of Parmesan. Then I put in some peas because it looked like my Nannys rice pudding. I liked it, my carnivores said they did... have a feeling they were looking for the main course though.

Edited to add: I don't think It's 'Gooey' enough... I know it's not quite runny enough.. it was gooey to me but, I'm ooze phobic. 

risotto.thumb.jpg.b43b86c5b5a876c24384aa1e5aef59e5.jpg

Risotto is one thing I can say I have dialed in over the last 25 years.

I would suggest saving the butter/cheese for the end (after the heat is off) and ensuring that not long after you add the last ladle of liquid, you also remove it from the heat, stir - and let rest for a few minutes, covered.

You should be able to spread the risotto over a flat plate and see moisture/sauce binding it all.  It should not however, be soupy.

• Like 4