• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

On 11/9/2017 at 6:30 PM, Ann_T said:

Last night's dinner.

Grilled a Porterhouse steak to share with Moe. I got the tenderloin portion. 

Served with roasted potatoes with mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic. Seasoned with salt, pepper and basil.

The side looks very nice. How did you cook that? Thanks

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Coconutty, fish curry (cod) and rice. There was a side of greenery which didn't get photographed.

Nice!

But mostly felt compelled to share this:

Every time I walk past the stall, which is most days, there is a sad selection of veg wilting in the sun, My pet rabbit would probably turn it down, if I hadn’t stir-fried her.

Coffee came out my nose when I came to the end of that sentence.  It's from ...your dancing child with his Chinese suit., the blog linked at the bottom of liuzhou's posts. If you're not reading it, you're missing out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Is cod local (or relatively so) to China?

It's certainly common. All my local supermarkets have it, both fresh and frozen. I only buy the fresh. I guess it's Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus).

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pizzas, "nona style" this time.

First one with motz, cheddar, a little smoked motz, mushrooms.

IMG_20171104_192204_1.thumb.jpg.6a61b89f452bd322a958b334c269a9b2.jpgIMG_20171104_192215.thumb.jpg.cbbac14b291d57bd3c99a0d5c0ebf74a.jpg

Second without sauce, with motz, caramelized onions, and post bake application of danish blue.

IMG_20171104_200443.thumb.jpg.27d9f1124b6f80e5c199ddbfedb5b923.jpgIMG_20171104_200728.thumb.jpg.fa653673782cfbaa5066b96766e03c5f.jpg

• Like 15

~ Shai N.

B492845A-9C08-4969-A44C-E72DF2A95035.thumb.jpeg.a1acce17cb4ff68c333053b903c52359.jpeg

My take on James Beard’s iconic onion sandwich here.  No parsley. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My take on James Beard’s iconic onion sandwich here.  No parsley.

And which delightful Modernist Bread do we have here? 

ETA - sorry, just went back and saw from your post in the Modernist Bread thread that it's the sandwich bread - looks good!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

A few recent meals. I’ve branched out (only slightly) from our all Indian diet, to include Sri Lankan food. 

Chicken wing curry, dal parripu, stir fried snow peas, potato curry with yellow rice and paratha. On the side, coconut sambal and homemade mango chutney.

D70D9ED6-8883-43A4-8044-FEE26E257FD5.thumb.jpeg.3d6e4b966925787ea83ab963767d55fd.jpeg

A different chicken curry, green beans curry, coconut sambal, potatoes with dill, dal, served with rice and pappads.

B7D570E1-E09A-4B2B-B0AB-6E077CFD92C4.thumb.jpeg.8d5cc350747fd7caa10f2bf611c44463.jpeg

Yet another chicken curry, mixed veggie curry, stir fried asparagus, dal, served with rice and homemade coconut roti, plus coconut sambal and mango chutney on the side.

D96CA003-0A59-4162-A920-947FDCC680BA.thumb.jpeg.76f7474f623c5732b41db94e5c17dc3d.jpeg

Here’s a shameless plug for my mini foodblog “Tasting Sri Lanka” which can be found on the Elsewhere in Asia/Pacific dining forum. This link might work.

• Like 18

More fish

Pan sautéed red snapper at med low heat in butter.   Much better texture than last nights snapper. Soft and moist.   Unlike the grouper we had the other night the lower fat snapper got a little dry when cooked at a high temp.  

Side is shredded brussel sprouts

0BC33275-5DD0-447F-A5F7-501154829B3F.jpeg

• Like 15

Another late dinner. As soon as the SIL texted that he was leaving work, the baked potatoes went in the oven. His half hour drive home and Deb's half hour drive home meant they would be ready just about the time she got home, and her well done, and my very rare T-bone could be coordinated. Mine takes 6 minutes, Deb's takes 18.

HC

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.331e22b7784cee4ed5ea831c893e58c9.JPGIMG_1212.thumb.JPG.b94c2e971c45cd196af4b6606af0fc40.JPG

• Like 12

Steak, kidney and mushroom pie without the pie, because of the much mourned decease of my oven. Still, an OK dinner. Added chilli and Thai fish sauce.

Once again, I neglected to photograph the side dish - cauliflower. I was too hungry to hang around taking pictures for your gratification while everything got cold!

sk.thumb.jpg.5370493dcc22a32a3471a5dc9bbde82a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So ... been a long day. I have my parents  visiting which makes me really happy. Took them out for excellent sushi dinner, put my son in the bath and did all my household duties. Now, with two Old Fashioned's done and a potential one accompanying me for the latest episode of "Discovery" on Netflix I have to admit I get the munchies ...

"Emergency Reuben": Modernist Bread's Lean French bread, pastrami, Hengstenberg's mild Sauerkraut and Tete de Moine filling in for the Swiss. Mix of Kewpie mayo, Heinz ketchup and Löwensenf hot mustard instead for moistening.

Served on the ever so popular IKEA blue plastic plate (as it one the only clean dish in the house) ...

IMG_0284.JPG

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

On 11/11/2017 at 8:22 PM, HungryChris said:

Deb had to babysit until past eight pm last night. Dinner was a Greek salad and Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits. They bake in about 15 minutes and I put them in the oven as soon as I heard her pull into the garage.

HC

IMG_1184.thumb.JPG.1f6b0afd04be889d65974ddba80a768b.JPGIMG_1185.thumb.JPG.b20492d55fca7aec7f63c2edf18bcdd5.JPGIMG_1187.thumb.JPG.9f4ec320efe18b5a6cd2562c147c4d99.JPG

I really, really need to make those biscuits !!!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I really, really need to make those biscuits !!!

Yeah me too but when I look on Amazon the quantities are such that I would have to eat biscuits every day and for every meal for the rest of my natural life to even come close to justifying such purchase. I did see the mix in a supermarket so I may be lucky enough to get back there and buy a single box. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yeah me too but when I look on Amazon the quantities are such that I would have to eat biscuits every day and for every meal for the rest of my natural life to even come close to justifying such purchase. I did see the mix in a supermarket so I may be lucky enough to get back there and buy a single box. 

Actually ... 

I'll be on business trip to the States next month for the first time in years. I have that mix on my shopping list. PM me your address and I'll send you one pack :)

11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Actually ... 

I'll be on business trip to the States next month for the first time in years. I have that mix on my shopping list. PM me your address and I'll send you one pack :)

Thank you so much. Yours is the second offer. The other one is much much closer to me and she won’t even have to mail it! And, I’m not in the States, I’m in Canada and who knows if it would ever get through customs. White powder and all you know. xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you so much. Yours is the second offer. The other one is much much closer to me and she won’t even have to mail it! And, I’m not in the States, I’m in Canada and who knows if it would ever get through customs. White powder and all you know. xD

Well noted and of course I am aware where you live ... Though shipping white powders from Hong Kong is not that unusual, I see the potential issues. You still have about four weeks to think it through :raz:

• Like 1

Duvel,

I lingered over that biscuit mix when I was in the grocery store earlier in the week.  I've been told before that it's really good though I've never tried it.  I think I will now, having seen yours!  There's no Red Lobster within several hours drive from here.