• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

B86206EC-D29A-47AA-AEFD-B7D866891DC1.thumb.jpeg.465ff81bf44b7943e9f4a95011b32fc9.jpeg

Lettuce and tomato sandwich with Hellmann’s mayonnaise on homemade potato bread.  Bread made using a recipe from the new Modernist Bread. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, kayb said:

I lust after these onion rings.

Yep! After @robirdstx's post, I was compelled, compelled, I tell you, to go and look at the menu and every single photo on Yelp for Floyd's. :D Some raw oysters and fried shrimp with fried okra for me, please.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Last night I made the "broccoli classic" from A Super Upsetting Book About Sandwiches.  Roasted broccoli, spicy pickled lychees, toasted pine nuts, ricotta salata, fried shallots and mayo on a sub roll.  It was probably the strangest sandwich I have ever eaten, but the flavors worked together.  I won't be rushing to make it again anytime soon, but I am glad I tried it.  Husband liked it enough to take the leftover sandwich with him to work today.

5a0448d37e0c1_broccoliclassic.thumb.jpg.c2f8201182cc063ba815f66e3aa0cdfb.jpg

• Like 12

@Anna N – lettuce, tomato and mayo has been one of my favorite sandwiches my whole life.  It looks so good that I think I have to add Camparis (thank you, Canada) to my shopping list!

@mm84321 – gorgeous dessert and I love your plates!

Ubiquitous salad:

DSCN7618.JPG.7dc69ef2c8cfd55d7fbbeec2e9756a07.JPG

Last go at the Shake and Bake plus some really good home fries made with leftover baked potatoes:

DSCN7619.JPG.9419b7917e5216202374e10493004c1a.JPG

Makes for a rather beige plate, but it was all good after a mammoth day of baking!

• Like 17

A27FF149-A26B-444F-BE1F-2298F5C8EA94.thumb.jpeg.ef5541e8d250561bedb19decd2ea740a.jpeg

A little of this and a little of that.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, TicTac said:

St. Agur by the looks? ;)

Budget didn’t stretch quite that far this time. Danish blue. :D

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Budget didn’t stretch quite that far this time. Danish blue. :D

Still tasty!  I made (one of my favourite's) a Balsamic caramelized onion pizza with rosemary and Danish Blue last week.

• Like 1

itsnotramen.thumb.jpg.3333a0d9edfbd6d56297fb306323b9ee.jpg

To the casual observer, it may seem like I tried to make one of those dishes that's really popular on blogs, in restaurants, amongst general people that have taste buds.  

Disclaimer: I have never had the opportunity to eat unsaid dish, there are certainly no local restaurants, although I have lusted over probably a hundred blog posts and recipes. However, as I have never actually eaten the unsaid dish, tonight we had spicy noodle soup with bits piled up on the top because I forgot to stir. :P xD

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

did you make that Lasagna in the CSB(O) ?

what size glass pan did you use ?

thanks

looks delicious !

Thank you !!!!

Yes, I did it in the CSO.

The glass pan used to be my Grammy's.  It's the perfect size to make a lasagna and not have leftovers for days.  It's 5" wide, 8" long and 3 1/2" tall.

• Like 2

The new cast iron griddle arrived broken. GE overnighted a new one double boxed with bubble wrap and stamped GLASS FRAGILE.  I seasoned it yesterday and took it for a test drive today with some steak.  The New York Times called the potatoes Mock Frites but the last time I made them from a different recipe, they were called Smashed Potatoes. What was different was a compound butter with these. Either way they were good.  At a restaurant a couple years ago, Cassie ordered a Bourbon Steak.  The first thing that came to mind was heresy but she gave me a bite and it was good.  I made the recipe at home a month or so later and decided to do it again today. The steak was marinated in bourbon, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.  The green beans were left overs.

20171110_175600.jpg

20171110_180008.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

IMG_6339.thumb.jpg.b8f593083640e5dc1589f0721ace43e7.jpg

Super-Crisp Roasted Potatoes from The Food Lab with chicken fat & some sort of little potatoes instead of russets & duck fat.

Pork Chop with Tuna-Sando Sauce from Lady & Pups - that title cracks me up every time I read it!

Cryo-Blanched Green Beans from The Food Lab with haricot vert and shallots instead of regular green beans and garlic.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2