• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Unsure whether I broke any cardinal rules in the canons of orthodox chili making, but this came out pretty damn tasty. Using the last of my green peppers, the largest shallot I've ever seen, and a proprietary spice blend including caraway, cumin, coriander and the seductive, smokey, black cardamom.

IMG_9558.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9567.JPG

IMG_9572.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9600.JPG

• Like 14

21 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Thanks! Those are in fact apricot kernels! I processed them in a spice grinder. The filling is comprised of the pumpkin lightly roasted/dried, mixed with an egg, the kernels, diced mostarda fruit (apricot/orange) and a ton of parmesan!

Silly question but don't apricot kernels contain a toxin that our bodies convert to cyanide? I had always heard warnings about the center pits, but Googling the kernels I get the same warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

21 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Silly question but don't apricot kernels contain a toxin that our bodies convert to cyanide? I had always heard warnings about the center pits, but Googling the kernels I get the same warning.

From what I understand, the kernels contain amygdalin, a compound comprised of cyanide bound with 2 other molecules that I currently do not recall. One certainly wouldn't want to consume those seeds in high doses, but they are great for amaretti! 

5 hours ago, mm84321 said:

From what I understand, the kernels contain amygdalin, a compound comprised of cyanide bound with 2 other molecules that I currently do not recall. One certainly wouldn't want to consume those seeds in high doses, but they are great for amaretti! 

I did a quick search, and found a site that seems reputable.  I was thinking that you were right about a dangerous dose working out to be a lot of apricot pits, but I got curious about the exact numbers and wanted to double check.  The actual recommended max dose was a lot lower than I thought it would be.  3 pits for an adult as a one time exposure. 

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/160427

Now that I think about it, I was confusing apricot and apple seeds.  You would have to eat around 200 apple seeds to get a dangerous dose. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

977E145C-1490-43EB-A278-4666BB98FAF1.thumb.jpeg.f98339d9191619682c0c688d53d98827.jpeg

Garlic shrimp. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Stuffed chicken thighs (used some bread/sausage stuffing from the freezer) which were roasted in the Cadco convection oven; rice pilau with garden peas from the freezer; some lovely oyster mushrooms scored at the last Farmer's Markets in Penticton last weekend simply fried in butter and a little gravy.

DSC02207.thumb.jpg.8ca52fb1f0ec883b6a9c2846b39c2be5.jpg

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Beautiful meals everyone.

Honey Garlic chicken sounds right up my alley - would love to hear more about the recipe!

It is sooooooo gooooooooooood.  It's @Ann_T's recipe and you can find it HERE

• Like 1

No pics but had roasted red, pink and yellow beets the other day

diced them cold and served with French feta, olive oil and a dash of salt 

Made fish sandwiches of  seared mahi on toasted Cuban bread 

it was a 3 star yum

• Like 6

I often refrain from contributing to this thread as I simply neglect (not due to desire, but rather 3 hungry kids!) to take any pics...

But I will follow Scuba's lead and share the following tasty meal; Indian tofu and zuccini patties with a coconut cilantro chutney and seared red cabbage.

• Like 2

DD11BDC9-8952-44A2-8D11-50021B68097D.thumb.jpeg.61f81771ab25f577931274bb5a72b8b2.jpeg

Comfort food. Orzo with ground beef and mushrooms. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Charred broccoli reubens.  The recipe was in my local paper on Wednesday and I figured "why not?"  We really liked them and I would make them again.  I have a cookbook with some broccoli sandwich recipes in it that I have been meaning to try (A Super Upsetting Book About Sandwiches) and now I am going to cook those too.

59fc50e7cb59e_broccolireuben.thumb.jpg.3d9fb3e04537980f24f1f5133548e7fa.jpg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Charred broccoli reubens.

I could definitely get behind that sandwich.

Edited to add that I also have that book. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

E82903CF-439A-40D8-BD9F-DA926BA9F624.jpeg

Planned over orzo with beef and mushrooms and a tomato salad. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog