• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

A good if not great dinner, but immensely informative.  Broccolini was impeccably blanched as always.  Baguette was merely OK but Boursin helped.  Béarnaise was properly emulsified but thinner than I might like.  What was interesting was the steak.

The steak was one of two USDA choice rib eyes, the previous one I had the other night.  That one was nothing to write home about.  Worse I splattered myself with smoking fat.  Thankfully for LL Bean flannel insulated jeans I have nothing worse to show for the experience than grease stains.

The first of the two steaks I had cooked sous vide, wiped dry, then immediately seared in a Cuisinart stainless steel pan.  It got a little over done.  Tonight I removed the steak from the 56 deg. C. bath, dried it with paper towels, and threw it in the CSO on convection bake 125 deg. F. for about an hour to dry out.

I also seared the second steak in copper which made much less of a mess*.  The steak was much improved.  Before the sear the temperature measured 55 deg. C. and it was not much different afterwards.  While the meat was most enjoyable, what is interesting is the color.  The spinalis dorsi was bright red.  The longissimus dorsi was dull pink.  I never noticed anything quite like this before.  The effect persisted a couple hours after cooking.  Both muscles were delectable but spinalis is my favorite.

*I can't believe I dirtied three copper pans in one meal, but that is what they're there for.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker Vetri's books are great. Have you seen Rustic Italian Cooking?

I have not.  I had to laugh at one of the amazon reviews:  "...usually one ingredient in the recipe that the book calls for way too much of."  "...WAY too much salt."

Reminds me sadly of the parmesan in my garganelli.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

44 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Not at all. They are rather bitter, with a sharp, almond flavor, but, used in the right proportion, can add a pleasantly distinct flavor. 

Along the lines of using some crushedd amaretti cookies - Amaretto containing the apricot kernel oil

On 10/29/2017 at 11:22 PM, Anna N said:

Fried haloumi and a few slices of prosciutto filled in the gaps

That's a funny coincidence, I also had haloumi this weekend. Had mine pan-grilled with cherry tomato jam and toasts. IMG_20171028_201144.thumb.jpg.f570e0aab071263e6489f3e82adcc207.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

2 minutes ago, shain said:

That's a funny coincidence, I also had haloumi this weekend. Had mine pan-grilled with cherry tomato jam and toasts. 

That cherry tomato jam looks lovely. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N Thanks. It was my first time making tomato jam and it's only OK. I think I over cooked it which resulted in it being more savory and as fresh as I'd wanted. 

Also had a strange musky flavor when it was fresh, but it was gone after a few weeks in the fridge. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

when Johnnybird is gone it becomes a mainly vegetarian area around here.   Dinner tonight  was tomato basil soup with some croutons and a salad and some black krim tomatoes with olives and grated cheddar cheese.

Last night was hot and sour soup with some vegetarian summer rolls.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

With DH out of town and its Halloween it becomes a mainly chocolatarian area around here:P

I did have a Wasa cracker with cheese for some nutrition, or just for some salt after all the sugar is more like it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I made Mrs. Mary Lloyd Young's yeast rolls for dinner tonight. Thanks to@kaybfor this recipe. I baked a few in the CSO on the bread cycle at 350 F for 25 minutes. Next time will go about 22 minutes, I think, and made a note of this on my paper copy of the recipe. A few too many of these lovely rolls and a mess of butterbeans made a very fine dinner.

The rest of the dough is freezing on a cookie sheet to be bagged and stored to bake up later. Thanks again for the freezer clean out thread, or I would not have had room to individually freeze the rest of the rolls.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

This is my second dinner so I'm not going to try and pretty it up for you! (If so inclined, you can find my first comedy of errors on the 'Cook your way through the freezer challenge' ) 

My first attempt just didn't come together for my personal tastes, but luckily I was also roasting a chicken for the boys lunches/ pickings during the day. 

What happened was an accident / great sacrifice, on my part, for the health of my family, depending on who I'm talking too. 

It Wasn't Me.

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I made Mrs. Mary Lloyd Young's yeast rolls for dinner tonight. Thanks to@kaybfor this recipe. I baked a few in the CSO on the bread cycle at 350 F for 25 minutes. Next time will go about 22 minutes, I think, and made a note of this on my paper copy of the recipe. A few too many of these lovely rolls and a mess of butterbeans made a very fine dinner.

The rest of the dough is freezing on a cookie sheet to be bagged and stored to bake up later. Thanks again for the freezer clean out thread, or I would not have had room to individually freeze the rest of the rolls.

Glad you enjoyed. I'm about to be jonesing for some ham and cheese rolls with that recipe. Been thinking about them of late.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I usually use my white plates for dinner, but I saw these online and thought they were so pretty.  I know they are a little "busy" but I like 'em.

Weekly roast chicken

59f9d6d908884_IMG_36292.jpg.7448f6e5ce64e863e65b4106f572def0.jpg

Frog legs 

59f9d6db6be64_IMG_36312.JPG.9617b4cc7c38dab1d993ee93a621979d.JPG

Steak night

59f9d6dd926f6_IMG_36322.JPG.81c26a05a9564f367d48a548f5f3fd71.JPG

IMG_3630.jpg

• Like 12