• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Last weekend I ended a 20-year search to find some decent Chinese food in Spokane.  I knew it all along, but finally came to the conclusion I can cook better, authentic, Chinese at home.  I didn't get a photo of the true Kung Pao Chicken, but these are Chinese Barbecue Ribs.  Instead of cutting them into single ribs I cut double ribs.  Photos are blurry, but the ribs were quite good.  Next one of my favorites, (nothing even close on a menu up here), Scallops with Wood Ear Fungus.

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

73A33335-9F48-48D5-A23F-6616A1B836A6.thumb.jpeg.bde4e6a0ee4a7d8574db2070c06b457f.jpeg

Simple but oh so good. A friend dropped by this afternoon  carrying gifts of foodstuffs. Too many choices faced me but it seemed only right to attack each one according to its likely longevity.  The green beans won.  I sliced up a shallot and made some crispy shallot rings.  I steamed some of the green beans, crisped up two slices of prosciutto, sauteed some mushrooms in garlic oil  and then tossed everything together and sprinkled the crispy shallots on the top. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Something may be said for cooking bare out of the shower.  Not only are you clean, but when you slop tomato paste down your front you don't have to change your clothes.

Anyhow, last night was Le Bernardin Fish Soup.

Mise210222017.png

Some of the mise.  Often I wish I had a sous chef.  Particularly when a recipe calls for "2 large heads of garlic, cloves smashed and peeled". 

Cooked10222017.png

After a couple hours, cooked soup, Alaskan halibut in this case, ready to be passed though Mouli.

LeBernardinFishSoup10222017.png

Le Bernardin Fish Soup, finished with white pepper and cayenne.  (Though I cheated and used Piment d'Espelette because I can.)  Served with toasted, garlic rubbed baguette.  Gruyere and Ruhlman spoon.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Something may be said for cooking bare out of the shower.  Not only are you clean, but when you slop tomato paste down your front you don't have to change your cloths.

But it might perhaps be a bit challenging for a sous chef.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Roast chicken thighs and legs - stuffed with fresh Kaffir lime leaves and sprinkled with salt. The skin turned out nice and crispy! 

59edf87dd3a78_KaffirLimeChicken1257.jpg.a6d363a7b676262a073613d6ad058992.jpg

Made up the Chinese Dim Sum style Beef Meatballs yesterday morning. Marinated in the fridge until we got home from the farm house at supper time. Steamed them with a drizzle of oyster sayce in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes. Juicy and light - can bounce off the plate! Wondered why I haven't made them for a long time!
                                              59edf99b4e518_DimSumBeefBalls1292.jpg.187f0cf65308c49b4ef6372a2edee59c.jpg

59edf99bd0ca2_DimSumBeefBalls1293.jpg.9aaecc90b48baa5a6890349160b80908.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

But it might perhaps be a bit challenging for a sous chef.  

Depends entirely on your sous chef's relationship to you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 10/22/2017 at 7:09 PM, chefmd said:

Inspired by Le Bernardin tuna and foie gras dish.  Thin crouton, liver pate, tuna, Maldon salt.

IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.59fa04d41a52628724ce22596b1dbd8a.JPG

how did that work for you, as a crostini like that?

It's one of my favorite starters at Le Bernardin, but part of its charm is in its super thin layers and that perfect bread layer (whatever it is... does the cookbook tell you how to bake it???)

I wouldn't want to be responsible for trying to pound tuna that perfectly thin, like they do, either.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:55 AM, liuzhou said:

A young friend I know from elsewhere was visiting the city today and, purely by chance, I met her. She was lost. I was able to take her where she wanted to go (well-known park in the city and then to a Buddhist temple she had heard of) and then we went for an early meal before she had to catch her train home. I asked her what she wanted to eat and she requested "something I've never eaten before". She is very open in her thinking and attitude for a Chinese girl from the countryside. She likes all sorts of music that 99.99% of Chinese people have never heard, for example. Her favourite movie is Pulp Fiction. I've never met anyone else who even knows it.

Anyway, I took her for something she had never eaten. In a Chinese restaurant.  As I've mentioned here on eG before, Chinese cuisine is incredibly regional so she had never eaten food from Shaanxi province far to the north of here. The capital is Xi'an, home to the Terracotta Warriors and it has one of my favourite Chinese cuisines. Luckily, there are a couple of Xi'an restaurants in town, so that is where she found herself. She looked at the menu, didn't recognise anything and left the ordering to  me. I always find that amusing. Chinese people asking this foreigner from the other side of the planet to help them with their food!

Anyway, I ordered some of my old favourites.

59eb317d32269_20171021_132301(Large).thumb.jpg.0ecda6061aea0005dc7311a0ed351424.jpg

手工凉皮 (shǒu gōng liáng pí - literally 'hand made cold skin') are rice noodles served cold in a sauce. More on them here.

肉夹馍 (ròu jiá mò - Chinese Hamburger). There is an eG topic here.  The picture above shows two; one on top of the other.

59eb317fc6c29_20171021_132306(Large).thumb.jpg.3f4d7ae338ac8f5458ea118cd3abc82a.jpg

These two dishes...:wub:

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 hours ago, weedy said:

It's one of my favorite starters at Le Bernardin, but part of its charm is in its super thin layers and that perfect bread layer (whatever it is... does the cookbook tell you how to bake it???)

I wouldn't want to be responsible for trying to pound tuna that perfectly thin, like they do, either.

I cannot speak for @chefmd but I could not find the recipe in the book.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had lunch today with a visiting friend from childhood. He, and his wife, and I, ate at  the restaurant I spent years managing and learned so many skills at. Nostalgia in the extreme! His fish and chips looked so good, and the fact that not a single scrap escaped his fork, made me crave fish and chips, so my next stop was the fish market, where I found some extremely fresh cod.  The rest is history.

HC

IMG_0979.thumb.JPG.913e07310aa5c18dd316e66bc3025929.JPGIMG_0981.thumb.JPG.65c8f792b4c7061143dafea6ca2e1afa.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Tonight we had Jerk rubbed steak and Slaw-lad. Started out as Coleslaw then I found things I needed to use that I would never usually put in my Coleslaw. 

steakslaw.thumb.jpg.d697ba2d3d4b64e7d3dd062fc31fc938.jpg

(Holy sheetpan did I just dare post a picture of actual cut meat on a forum filled with the darlings of home sous-vide and meat masters?! Panic) 

I am afraid the close up is not because I am proud of my steak, or because I am trying to improve my food photography (I am but its an uphill battle with this old phone). Tonight's close up is due to the fact that if I were to pan out just a little, you'd all see the kid covered in spaghetti sauce, the table covered in spaghetti sauce and the rest of my clutter! 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Right now I am on diet (at least during non-travelling days). Which does not contribute to my general well-being. Luckily though, tonight I tried "cauliflower pizza"; and while clearly not a pizza it does hit a couple of spots and loaded with tons of chicken breast gyros and some garlic yoghurt was actually quite yummy. My son got salami and bacon and was happy, too ...

(Typical crumb shots included, though actually there was no such thing)

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

12 hours ago, weedy said:

It is one of my favorite dishes of all time!  I used it as inspiration.  The pieces that I made are small, 1-2 bites.  Bread was cut very thin and toasted in CSO.  Crunchy bread, luxurious pate, very fresh tuna make an amazing explosion of flavor and texture in your mouth.  Of course it is not as refined as Le Bernardin version. 

@JoNorvelleWalker I did not use the book for this one (although I bought Kindle version for 1.99).  Sorry to hear that recipe is not in the book but it is more of a genius combination of the fine ingredients than an actual recipe.

• Like 2