• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

I baked some bread in the steam oven this morning. For dinner we had Chicken Parmigiana, 5 minute Instant Pot green beans and some carrots. I got all the stuff out for some cream and cheese sauce for some pasta when I discovered I had no cream.  While looking for evaporated milk, I spotted that blue box of macaroni and thought, what the heck, Charlie likes it and I don't care right now.  He said the green beans tasted a lot like what grandma used to make and hers took half a day.  For the chicken, I used the same seasoning for the coating that I used a few days ago for the pork chops,  but added some garlic powder and rosemary.

20171020_161953-1.jpg

20171020_162323.jpg

• Like 12

Deb is off babysitting her grandson tonight. I will not say I took advantage of the situation, but I did make the most of it. I spent most of the day processing firewood, so it was nice to chill out with a couple of favorites. I picked through the clams I harvested recently and selected the smallest to have on the half shell with  little cocktail sauce and lemon, made a Greek salad which included tomatoes from the garden,  picked while still green, but ripened in the house. Instead of an Aleve, I chose a Frank & Berry, a local craft beer I enjoy. I apologize for the blurry clams, but found a little smear on my camera lens, which I have corrected.

HC

IMG_0958.thumb.JPG.ad911d466c82690fd734e2feb2412a2f.JPGIMG_0959.thumb.JPG.8b690a2a1d8e830c14f04381b279e6c3.JPGIMG_0965.thumb.JPG.00fd5908b4e8533d7b932e6046537199.JPG

• Like 12

On 8/29/2017 at 2:00 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thanks shain,

Actually more flavor I don't need. I'm not a stinky cheese kinda gal. :) I have had my Valbreso grow visible mold after I'd removed it from the can to avoid "tinny" flavor and placed it in an airtight plastic container with its brine. Maybe it would have been better off in the can, but my container was scrupulously clean. It's a lot of cheese to go through, even for two people, unless I want to make spanakoptia.

Thank you so much for your info about freezing feta.

No fingers anywhere around that Valbreso can. and your container might not have been as clean as you thought.

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I baked some bread in the steam oven this morning. For dinner we had Chicken Parmigiana, 5 minute Instant Pot green beans and some carrots. I got all the stuff out for some cream and cheese sauce for some pasta when I discovered I had no cream.  While looking for evaporated milk, I spotted that blue box of macaroni and thought, what the heck, Charlie likes it and I don't care right now.  He said the green beans tasted a lot like what grandma used to make and hers took half a day.  For the chicken, I used the same seasoning for the coating that I used a few days ago for the pork chops,  but added some garlic powder and rosemary.

20171020_161953-1.jpg

20171020_162323.jpg

Doesn't parmigiana, by definition, require melted cheese and Marinara sauce?

i would think that looks like Milanese or Francese. 

• Like 1

ARRRGGG! I need to retire from teaching so I can hang out here more!
Enjoying everyone's dishes!
A few dishes to fill our needs lately:
Stuffed Bell Peppers with ground pork, shrimp, and waterchestnut. Had some deep-fried tofu cubes in the fridge, so stuffed them All fried in the wok then drizzled with oyster sauce gravy.

59eabb74e15af_StuffedPeppersandtofu1266.jpg.f661bb2a74dd2181f52e07ab40a6f805.jpg
Had a very windy day yesterday - worst at 65 km/hr. Needed comfort food, so we had steamed pork with salty fish (traditional Cantonese dish I grew up with). I also love soy bean sprouts stir-fried with ginger and green onions. Lots of rice was needed, and we especially enjoyed the soften "burnt rice" on the bottom of the pot with some of the juice from the steamed pork and fish.
                                              59eabbd55b569_SaltyFish0002.jpg.ed15c1ef3340ba873053145ed7101f04.jpg
                                             59eabbd5e9324_SoyBeanSprouts1250.jpg.eac3d6f1d0847e4c506a5b1f35084230.jpg
Tonight was a quick supper after doing a bunch of clean-up in the yard after the wind storm. A small roast pork, sticky rice (joongzi) steamed in the Instant Pot from frozen state. Steamed frozen mixed veg, and cole slaw.
                                          59eabc409c8fe_RoastporkJoongzi1268.jpg.0056dc96668eeeb35d59038c76bdc7ba.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Saturday night is family pizza night: Today a variation of the popular mushroom and salami theme with Alaskan hunter sticks with reindeer meat filling in for the cured meat role (not pictured, because family was starving). Then the equally popular (at least with out four year old) pizza Hawaii with lardons and pineapple. Plus the usual crumb shot ...

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

• Like 12

Went to a funeral today, only the second I have ever been too, couldn't spend too much time at the wake as I have a young child to look after. Asked my husband to bring me dinner home from the Pub the wake was hosted at. My husband knows that when I am sad/angry/moody/itstuesday/he'smassivelylatehomefromsaidpub etc I revert to being an angry child xD And thus.. my dinner. 

nugsaredrugs.thumb.jpg.b5465fd3142c3e53f0075d894cc339a9.jpg

Now. I hesitated posting this with you guys and your amazing meals. I mean. It's Dino Nugs and Chips. 

But this thread is specifically about what you ate for dinner and this is my reality! (with wine - because I'm classy). Plus the Chef even garnished it. It's gourmet now. :P

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, weedy said:

Doesn't parmigiana, by definition, require melted cheese and Marinara sauce?

i would think that looks like Milanese or Francese. 

You may be right. I am not familiar enough with the finer points of Italian cooking to know the difference.  This recipe started out in my kitchen ten years ago as Breast of Chicken, Martini Style which has Parmigiana cheese as the coating and served with a wine reduction.  Over time, I added bread crumbs with the cheese and so I thought about calling it after the cheese in the recipe, not realizing that the name was reserved to a special kind of dish.  Recently I have served this over linguini and Alfredo sauce so I doubt it very much still resembles the original Martini chicken either.  I should probably just stop calling it anything other than breaded chicken breast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A young friend I know from elsewhere was visiting the city today and, purely by chance, I met her. She was lost. I was able to take her where she wanted to go (well-known park in the city and then to a Buddhist temple she had heard of) and then we went for an early meal before she had to catch her train home. I asked her what she wanted to eat and she requested "something I've never eaten before". She is very open in her thinking and attitude for a Chinese girl from the countryside. She likes all sorts of music that 99.99% of Chinese people have never heard, for example. Her favourite movie is Pulp Fiction. I've never met anyone else who even knows it.

Anyway, I took her for something she had never eaten. In a Chinese restaurant.  As I've mentioned here on eG before, Chinese cuisine is incredibly regional so she had never eaten food from Shaanxi province far to the north of here. The capital is Xi'an, home to the Terracotta Warriors and it has one of my favourite Chinese cuisines. Luckily, there are a couple of Xi'an restaurants in town, so that is where she found herself. She looked at the menu, didn't recognise anything and left the ordering to  me. I always find that amusing. Chinese people asking this foreigner from the other side of the planet to help them with their food!

Anyway, I ordered some of my old favourites.

59eb317d32269_20171021_132301(Large).thumb.jpg.0ecda6061aea0005dc7311a0ed351424.jpg

手工凉皮 (shǒu gōng liáng pí - literally 'hand made cold skin') are rice noodles served cold in a sauce. More on them here.

20171021_132403-1024.thumb.jpg.39f8d21adca45f15da40ff5b71547720.jpg

肉夹馍 (ròu jiá mò - Chinese Hamburger). There is an eG topic here.  The picture above shows two; one on top of the other.

59eb317fc6c29_20171021_132306(Large).thumb.jpg.3f4d7ae338ac8f5458ea118cd3abc82a.jpg

老虎菜 (lǎo hǔ cài - literally "tiger vegetables)  is one of China's rare salads. 

My friend enjoyed the noodles and "hamburger" but claimed to be less sure about the salad. Many (most) Chinese people are wary of anything uncooked. That said, I noticed she kept eating more and more of it after declaring her disinterest.

Being a bit of a rebel, she asked for a beer to wash it all down. Few Chinese women drink beer. Of course, I was happy to join her.

59eb317982d92_20171021_133128(Large).thumb.jpg.d6b2553c2d889fc923dd0275fb3b2dfb.jpg

A pleasant, unexpected afternoon/early evening.

But now it's 8pm and I'm hungry again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

You may be right. I am not familiar enough with the finer points of Italian cooking to know the difference.  This recipe started out in my kitchen ten years ago as Breast of Chicken, Martini Style which has Parmigiana cheese as the coating and served with a wine reduction.  Over time, I added bread crumbs with the cheese and so I thought about calling it after the cheese in the recipe, not realizing that the name was reserved to a special kind of dish.  Recently I have served this over linguini and Alfredo sauce so I doubt it very much still resembles the original Martini chicken either.  I should probably just stop calling it anything other than breaded chicken breast.

Chicken a la Norm works 9_9

• Like 7

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

(ròu jiá mò - Chinese Hamburger). There is an eG topic here

I made these from your recipe and served them as part of a Chinese luncheon that I had this week. They were a big hit. One of the nibbles that I served beforehand was the sweet potato candy cut into strips. They ate it all.

• Like 2

Home made pappardelle with mushroom and cream sauce (on the light and mushroomy side of things, I'm not a fan of heavy cream sauces). Garlic, thyme, nutmeg and loads of pepper. Topped with crisp buttery breadcrumbs.

IMG_20171020_145103.thumb.jpg.c0fda788ab8577afb65bcc99bdda4958.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

750F7488-8F9C-4D5A-92EE-98C88BE71307.thumb.jpeg.48aad11cdb879d9d9fb15fbd78f4d081.jpeg

Chicken breast  (bone-in, skin-on)  mushrooms.  There might have been more mushrooms if I had not stood at the stove, chopsticks at the ready, doing quality-control. 

Click.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

An English muffin "pizza". English muffins drizzled with olive oil and garlic salt, with cheap Classico pizza sauce and Galbini mozzarella in my Breville toaster oven. I love that toaster oven. 

In my defense we had nothing in the house after being away for two weeks and I hate seeing any NY team down except when those teams are playing my teams. 

It was quick and dirty and worked. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I made these from your recipe and served them as part of a Chinese luncheon that I had this week. They were a big hit. One of the nibbles that I served beforehand was the sweet potato candy cut into strips. They ate it all.

I'm glad they worked out and were popular. I've never encountered anyone who disliked Rou Jia Mo, apart from a couple of vegetarians but what do they know about food!

Eating them yesterday prompted me to do a bunch of the buns this morning for the freezer. They do freeze well. And I use them for all sorts of things.

20171022_161535.thumb.jpg.93b5da58461d2c8bf1bb0d7da4205fec.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Nothing very creative happening around here in the kitchen.  But, we are not starving or anything lol.

The usual roasted chicken

59eccbcd25a55_IMG_36022.JPG.ce4d179ad40706ba883378b2a528ebbc.JPG

Fried catfish and shrimp

IMG_3603.jpg.ac50ef11ba262a423233b9d579d0a36e.jpg

Venison chili with cornbread and tamales--tamales from a can.  Sometimes I just crave those things.

59eccbddb1018_IMG_36042.jpg.5e0cea40a1c05aba848bbbdff0d528c3.jpg
59eccbdfd8189_IMG_36052.JPG.ccc4a3c622a341184e1142d0537dda93.JPG

59eccbe204559_IMG_36062.jpg.8821baa67f29125d399119bd412d962c.jpg

• Like 13