• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

After a long and tiring hike across Ko Phi Phi to reach the closest ATM (5.5 miles through the jungle and across slippery costal rocks) I was up for some comfort food: Pad Thai, Squid Wun Sen and Yellow Curry Crab. All for about 12 bucks with a soda water ...

(sorry for the dark picture - really need a better phone)

WP_20171005_15_27_49_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171005_19_36_16_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171005_19_40_33_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171005_19_47_27_Pro.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dinner10032017.png

Please pardon previous pasta alla norma picture.  As a pasta sauce I found this a little heavy.  As a tomato eggplant jam at room temperature with baguette it was fabulous.  Ripe tomatoes and avocado not shown.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you for the recipe. I have read your blog for years and it is one of the most beautiful blogs on the web. Great recipes and magnificent photography. Nice to meet you and thank you for many hours of enjoyable reading.

Thank you Tropicalsenior, you made my day.

Robirdstx, you are very welcome. 

Tonight's dinner

59d6efef3e1ac_HalibutwithlemonbuttersauceOctober5th20171.thumb.jpg.b42c020295ba614fa67d8e87ac18ac61.jpg

Fresh Halibut finished off in the oven.

59d6eff9c556f_HalibutwithlemonbuttersauceOctober5th2017.thumb.jpg.6a49fb801fec6fdff1b77e884d4ae87e.jpg

In a lemon butter sauce. 

• Like 18

After an unusual lunch, I went to meet an old friend at the city's main train station. I knew she was just passing through, but persuaded her that she didn't really have to be back at the station three hours before her train home left.

(She was nervous. She had been to a wedding of an old university classmate who lives in yet another city, but had left behind her 8-month year old daughter for the first time. It was so kind of her to come by to see me in the light of that, but we have been very close for a long time, although we hadn't seen each other for five years.)

Before she arrived she sent me a message telling me what she would like to do while she was here for 6 hours.

a) Visit an ancient part of the city she had recently heard of. She lived here for five years but had never been there. I explained that she hadn't heard of it before because the "Ancient Town" as they bill it, was only built four years ago." It is a total fake, like the parts of The Great Wall most tourists visit in China.

b) Visit a recently opened Industrial Museum.

c) Take a trip on one of the "water buses" which go up and down the river which loops through the city.

I put on my thinking head and suggested we visit the museum first. I'd never been before, but they once tried to get me to do some translation for them and when I suggested a price, they said "No, we want you to do it for free". I think that was when I perfected my Chinese cursing and told them where they could insert their translation work.  Anyway, the museum was much more interesting than I ever imagined, chronicling the development of the city's industry since almost prehistoric times up until now.

From there, about 90 minutes later, we proceeded to the "ancient town" which is really just a mall full of restaurants and bars, but built in a faux-ancient Chinese style.. I took her to the only restaurant I had visited before and we ate a light early dinner of:

dinner.thumb.jpg.9df8a08d335d95f75494b02696553fc4.jpg

What we have here is chicken wings. I'm not a big wing fan, but these were good.

wings.thumb.jpg.a7648e86756dee160c3d74b3bfcb5be6.jpg

Then our old favourite - vinegared potato slivers. The Chinese eat potato as just another vegetable, rather than as a staple and this is the most popular preparation. Slivers of potato and maybe carrot stir-fried then dressed with mild wine vinegar.

potato.thumb.jpg.e0cd719ea650b3692fadc28d61b1658f.jpg

but the centrepiece was this dish, especially requested by my friend. Although she only lives in a neighbouring city an hour away, this dish is unavailable there, just as her home city dishes aren't available here. Chinese cuisine is intensely regional.

snails.thumb.jpg.9df177d317556e121275b8e49ee77290.jpg

This is duck's feet and snail stew. The red colour is chilli. Really hot, but utterly delicious. Also contained ginger and tofu.

After dinner we took the river bus back to the centre of the city and then a taxi to the station. She is home safely and reunited with her daughter.

I had a very happy, but busy day..

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Salad Night!

B2E4DCF3-3D27-42DF-ABD8-A3564E8ED1D1.thumb.jpeg.b75677fd00ac472e5dcdca6f54dd84e7.jpeg

We started with Romaine, White Onion, English Cucumber, Button Mushrooms and Grape Tomatoes.

15B1856B-87F8-4058-862D-27C52CD87154.thumb.jpeg.81e25a080e249d1943b9755607181a0d.jpeg

Added Crumbled Crispy Bacon, Hard Cooked Egg, Shredded Cheese and Panko & Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast.

455C518E-9488-4C06-80FE-4A588D1B51F7.thumb.jpeg.2266b476f5faaf4c0be34002b587ae03.jpeg

Topped with Fresh Ground Black Pepper and Ranch Dressing!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

In the  Chili post earlier this week, I think,  @lindag mentioned some Worcestershire sauce made in Kentucky and aged in whiskey barrels.  I ordered some as well as from the same company, some soy sauce and Kentuckyaki sauce.  I marinated some chicken wings in the teriyaki sauce with some honey and brown sugar added and baked them in the new oven. Earlier I made some sourdough.  We had the wings with rice. I didn't make any vegetables. 

20171006_153311.jpg

20171006_170634.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, jvalentino said:

Pan roasted pork chop with caramelized fennel and green beans. Tasty.

86F5AD06-61DE-4C59-A5B3-680572B83BDB.jpeg

Lovely photograph!  Sometimes I roast quartered fennel but I've never tried a dice.  I particularly admire your green beans.  How are they prepared?

Grilled pork chop is on the menu* here tonight as well, and while I have little doubt that it will be quite enjoyable I fear it will not be as photogenic.

*blanched Brussels sprouts, traditionally harvested wild rice, applesauce with mace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Lovely photograph!  Sometimes I roast quartered fennel but I've never tried a dice.  I particularly admire your green beans.  How are they prepared?

Thanks!

It was my first time doing the fennel diced since I wanted to do everything in one pan. The green beans were simply sautéed while the chops rested with some olive oil and salt. They're cooked about 80% so still pretty crisp.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jvalentino said:

Thanks!

It was my first time doing the fennel diced since I wanted to do everything in one pan. The green beans were simply sautéed while the chops rested with some olive oil and salt. They're cooked about 80% so still pretty crisp.

Your green beans look a lot like my 30 second green beans prepared in the pressure cooker.  As much as I love some of our posters from southish of the Mason-Dixon Line, gray-green green beans have a negative effect on me.

• Like 3

Because I am a food whore:

Dinner10072017.png

For the grilled up-market pork (on sale) I aimed for and achieved 58 degrees*.  Applesauce and freshly pounded mace, not shown.  Nor the Luxardo cherries.

*Celsius.

• Like 9