• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

On 30/09/2017 at 4:30 PM, lindag said:

I'm always startled when I see the price of halibut here in the stores.  It varies some but often at $17.99 per pound.

Lindag, I live on the west coast of Canada and I wish I could get it for $17.99 per pound.   Last time I bought it was the same prices as what Anna posted. 

Moe's Dinner.
I wasn't hungry and he said he would be happy with just something to pick at.

59d188b3b9e67_SalsaandChipsSeptember30th2017.thumb.jpg.c5494a2b8711379dbc50006985a61c66.jpg

So I made  salsa and guacamole and gave him is own tray.

• Like 15

42 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That looks really good. You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for that good looking guaniale, would you?

The recipe was from Babbo. It's pretty easy. Founding the pork jowls is the difficult part, at least for me!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

The recipe was from Babbo. It's pretty easy. Finding the pork jowls is the difficult part, at least for me!

Thank you so much for going back and getting me the link but I hope you have it written down somewhere. The link goes to 'page not found' and when I put it in their search engine all they did was tell me what it was. But thanks for the try.

Babysat most of the day, so Instant Pot came to the rescue - steamed pork ribs in "meen see" - brown soy bean paste - a family favourite (15 minutes followed by 10 min. natural release. Eaten with MY favourite - stir-fried green beans and Jasmin rice.

59d1ad78d5555_BrownBeanSauceRibs1159.jpg.ddac98ce6b57e68603662960d40f87e8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you so much for going back and getting me the link but I hope you have it written down somewhere. The link goes to 'page not found' and when I put it in their search engine all they did was tell me what it was. But thanks for the try.

I linked to my pictures with step by step instructions which still work.

Here is the full recipe from Babbo. It's well worth buying the book!

Babbo's guanciale

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am loathe to post after so many photogenic meals, but I am determined to participate. Do you ever have those days when you open the fridge, stare at the crisper and realise you have a wealth of market produce you've just about let expire? I have those days more often than I'd like to admit and thus dinner becomes a mass of vegetables that have no apparent link to one another, an afterthought protein to keep the carnivore happy - meat and three (thousand) veg. 

lambveges.thumb.png.895973add12b69aab3878893a9f48fdf.png

The Roasties at least were very good and the lamb much nicer than my aged phone camera and hack carving skills would lead you to believe ;)

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I am loathe to post after so many photogenic meals, but I am determined to participate.

Good. It isn't a competition. Your picture is fine. I'm sure all of us make things like that more often than we might care to admit. Fridge clearance meals.

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I am loathe to post after so many photogenic meals, but I am determined to participate. Do you ever have those days when you open the fridge, stare at the crisper and realise you have a wealth of market produce you've just about let expire? I have those days more often than I'd like to admit and thus dinner becomes a mass of vegetables that have no apparent link to one another, an afterthought protein to keep the carnivore happy - meat and three (thousand) veg. 

A meme went by on my Facebook feed a few weeks ago that defined one's vegetable crisper as "The place where good intentions go to die..."

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

57 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@mm84321  Can you give details on that beautiful lobster dish?

Surely. I briefly blanched the tail, just long enough to remove it from the shell, then wrapped in plastic, and stuck in the freezer briefly to facilitate slicing into thin medallions. These were scaled along a fillet of halibut, which had been spread with a farce made from the claws and tail trimming, mixed with some halibut, egg white, cream and cayenne. This was wrapped in buttered plastic wrap and cooked skis vide. Served with a bisque sauce made from the lobster head, and crushed potato mixed with the lobster knuckles, tomalley, marinated tomato, lemon zest and chives. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Do you ever have those days when you open the fridge, stare at the crisper and realise you have a wealth of market produce you've just about let expire?

Been there, done that. The farmers markets are my downfall. Your plate looks fine. I wouldn't turn it away. Just remember, all of us have been where you are. You've come to the right place to learn. I've never seen such a helpful, encouraging group of people.

I've been following your posts and with your enthusiasm you're going to do great.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:
10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I linked to my pictures with step by step instructions which still work.

Here is the full recipe from Babbo. It's well worth buying the book!

Thank you so much for the recipe and the quick reply. It may take me a little while to find the meat, but this is the first thing on my list to make.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Stuffed Poblano's

Pinto Beans,pomegranate seeds, wild rice, cilantro

topped with ABQ chilies and garden tomato sauce --all fresh from garden and ABQ NM

37183283580_62fdd2b155_o.thumb.jpg.775e9be647e0f6c8caa6bc3ec64d058f.jpg

I stared at this for a good two minutes wishing that it was sitting in front of me.

Had some leftover ribs and scalloped potatoes and beans from when our hunter was here.   @suzilightning and I suffer from the same thing sometimes which is after cooking all afternoon we sometimes don't want what we cooked--which sounds incredibly weird but it's true.  That happened to me on rib night.  They tasted really good last night :) .

Also had some broccoli that, as @chromedome said, was very well intentioned, but was getting ready to die.

59d248cdc6683_FullSizeRender49.jpg.50632f227eb8724f1ab0e031b6ad5506.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Roasted a chicken and made garlic mashed potatoes.  Unfortunately John came home from (Rock) Climbing Instructor training late and wasn't hungry....

Found out why when I got home ... he's coming down with some sort of creeping crud.  Have a pot of chicken noodle soup on the stove and just gave him some scrambled eggs.

DAMNED GOOD MASHED POTATOES.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

20 hours ago, mm84321 said:

For the duck: I cooked it in a pan on the stovetop, entirely. I use a very low heat, as to aid the total rendering of the fat from the skin without burning, while basting the flesh side, turning once to briefly finish the cooking (85% is cooked skin side). Additionally, while resting, I turn the breast over multiple times to redistribute the juices more evenly

Interesting - would you say medium - medium low - low?  Also curious as to the timing.

Lovely technique.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Interesting - would you say medium - medium low - low?  Also curious as to the timing.

Lovely technique.

I would say medium-low/low, just so the fat will render and slightly murmur in the pan as it cooks. You might even start the breast in a cold pan and then slowly bring up the heat. I never go by time, always by touch, as the size of breasts tend to vary ;)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Surely. I briefly blanched the tail, just long enough to remove it from the shell, then wrapped in plastic, and stuck in the freezer briefly to facilitate slicing into thin medallions. These were scaled along a fillet of halibut, which had been spread with a farce made from the claws and tail trimming, mixed with some halibut, egg white, cream and cayenne. This was wrapped in buttered plastic wrap and cooked skis vide. Served with a bisque sauce made from the lobster head, and crushed potato mixed with the lobster knuckles, tomalley, marinated tomato, lemon zest and chives. 

What temp and how long for sous vide if you don't min sharing.  Halibut is so delicate that I often worry about over cooking it with stove top method.