• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

I have mentioned I bought a small Masterbilt electric smoker. Its maiden voyage was steelhead trout filets, with which I was underwhelmed; they were just too...fishy. But last night, I took the plunge with a sirloin tip roast. Coated it in Santa Maria rub on Thursday night, wrapped in plastic and stashed it in the fridge. Put it on to smoke about 4 pm.

Other than the fact dinner was an hour later than I'd planned, it was excellent. Took significantly longer to get to 130 than I had planned. But it sliced up nice and tender, and I didn't get it too done, and I think it will make fine sandwiches next week.

59cfa09350f46_sirlointip.jpg.6565d6112e2952d56d22828ce4dd589c.jpg

59cfa0a4819a6_beefplate.jpg.63bb00aabeafb2f19452fa51f9126b0d.jpg 

The potatoes were Yukon Gold fingerlings, tossed in olive oil, seasoned salt and black pepper and steam-baked in the CSO for 30 minutes, then fninished for 10 minutes on convection at 450. Perfect.

The Brussels sprouts were a riff on several recipes. I cooked 3/4 cup farro, toasting it a skillet and then boiling until tender. I drained it and spread it out on a dinner plate to cool. I sliced the Brussels sprouts thin, then tossed them in a hot skillet with olive oil, salt and pepper; sauteed until they were nicely caramelized, added the farro and some sliced almonds in, and finished off with balsamic vinegar and honey. Got a bit too much honey; I'll hold it to 1 tbsp next time. But these were quite excellent.

Sliced tomatoes finished off the plate. Dessert was a slice of chess pie, which was remarkably good considering after I cut it, I found the half-cup of melted butter I'd forgotten to put in it.

59cfa1dabab37_chesspie0930.jpg.5bcc10c4e74b5792c03b928d84be0602.jpg

I slept well.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Since the weather here has changed dramatically, from the high 80ºsF (31ºC) to 50ºF (10ºC) with rain, I'll be making a big pot of 

Vegetable-Beef Soup
3 lbs beef shank cross cuts (or beef soup bones)
8 cups water (use canned beef broth, too)
2 bay leaves
4 tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano (or use Italian seasoning)
¼ tsp marjoram
5 whole peppercorns
corn (fresh or frozen)
green beans
leeks (2-inch long strips)
kale
cabbage
fennel bulb
16 oz canned tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 medium Turnip
1 medium Rutabaga
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced ½"
In a large kettle or Dutch oven combine (browned) beef cross cuts, water, salt, oregano, marjoram, peppercorns and bay leaves.
Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove the beef.
Cut meat from bones; chop meat. Strain broth, if necessary, skim off excess fat. Return broth to kettle. Add corn, chopped meat, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, carrots, celery and onion.
Simmer, covered for 1 hour. (Add cabbage/zucchini (soft veg) last.)
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I can already almost smell it.  Yum.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Well, unless it was a seal my guess is dog meat.....

Yup!

I didn't eat any, not because of any scruples other than I don't find it to be very good meat. There were tastier things on offer. I've only ever eaten it and found it worth the eating one time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Norm Matthews: Inspired by your Mexican Chicken, I pulled out Rick Bayless cookbook and made the Road Side Chicken for supper! Thanks!

Cooked up some Mexican Rice and grilled bell peppers with the chicken. I can see where BIG bulb green onions would be needed for the grill. I only had small ones and even then, the bulbs were lovely.

59cfc4b77f4b7_MexicanRoadSideChicken1139.jpg.bc6963361dd0cde96d1e7ebf590c19f6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is my haul from the Farmers Market this morning that will become dinner tonight, somehow or another. The broccoli and the celery are fresh from the farmer's field. The egg vendor assured me that the eggs were still, as he put it, the property of the chicken two days ago. The shrimp are oh so fresh. I would say they are about 16 to 20s and they cost me $5.70 a pound, about half what I would pay in the supermarket and they wouldn't be nearly so fresh. I'm vacillating between a stir fry and a nice fettuccine dish.

20170930_102919(1).thumb.jpg.92bd5da393848cdc5386eca7290c46ce.jpg
In an earlier post, I mentioned turtle eggs. These were for sale there but I didn't buy them. Both on principle and the fact that I don't like them.

20170930_100901.thumb.jpg.184e96c4d76d1bb95f653ce73b785fd7.jpg

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Spelling error (log)
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id personally consider a fettuccine dish.

I just found out that my housemate will be out for the evening so I'm going make a very garlicky shrimp and spaghetti for myself. He can't eat garlic or even stand the smell of it and sometimes I do so crave it. I'm going to take advantage of the chance that I've got.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Self editing (log)
  • Like 8

That halibut looks so good! One of my favorite fish.

From dinner last night, carbonara with home-cured guanciale (from a pig I've butchered myself in a butchery class). Bliss.

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/spaghetti-alla-carbonara/

Carbonara with home-cured guanciale

Carbonara with home-cured guanciale

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

16 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'm always startled when I see the price of halibut here in the stores.  It varies some but often at $17.99 per pound.

Ha ha!   I just looked up the price of halibut in my local grocery store and it is $66 a kilo or $33 a pound give or take.  

• Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'm always startled when I see the price of halibut here in the stores.  It varies some but often at $17.99 per pound.

More expensive here although it's a local catch, but totally worth it!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kayb said:

Other than the fact dinner was an hour later than I'd planned, it was excellent. Took significantly longer to get to 130 than I had planned. But it sliced up nice and tender, and I didn't get it too done, and I think it will make fine sandwiches next week.

It all looks delicious. Barbecue cooks on it's own time. It's done when it wants to be done. 

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

There was a steak in the freezer that was too big for either one of us so I grilled and split it. I still could not eat all of mine. The thought of it sitting there defrosting made us hungry and so we ate early.   We had it with grilled corn, salad and mashed Yukon gold potatoes.

20171001_152707.jpg

20171001_153923.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

For the duck: I cooked it in a pan on the stovetop, entirely. I use a very low heat, as to aid the total rendering of the fat from the skin without burning, while basting the flesh side, turning once to briefly finish the cooking (85% is cooked skin side). Additionally, while resting, I turn the breast over multiple times to redistribute the juices more evenly

• Like 7