• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Drinking and eating across the pond in Austria  

Tonight it was multiple cheeses and crusty bread followed by grilled chicken thighs, legs, grilled vegetables and dal in the comfort of the home of a gracious friend, in the company of many friends.  Simple food done well.  The whiskey and wine selections were fantastic.  The food wonderful and satisfying. 

This is what my life is currently about.  Will be back to reality too soon  enough

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 23
  • Delicious 1

Linguini with clam sauce and a Greek salad. We are headed to a wedding in MSP, and these clams, the last of my most recent harvest,  have to get used up. I have a feeling that my breakfast tomorrow, will be leftover Greek salad, which is fine with me.

HC

IMG_0730.thumb.JPG.b9e3eab8fb74e22118daf14efe3e50e2.JPGIMG_0731.thumb.JPG.b5d8028045fcc44bfd936ae820350de9.JPGIMG_0733.thumb.JPG.25f7f9a1ba50637039303088194c6e7c.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

10 hours ago, chefmd said:

Pan seared wild salmon and roasted cauliflower.  So good.  It is not immediately clear to me why I do not make roasted cauliflower more often.

It's a staple here at the Home of Chrome. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Inspiration comes from various places and tonight I was inspired by two methods. For the peppers, onions and mushrooms I followed David Tanis'  method of dry frying them until they were about halfway done before adding salt and a little oil. 

For the sausages, Johnsonville brats, I followed this method of sous viding and then finishing in a hot oven. 

IMG_2183.thumb.JPG.66833871227670d696e60992fac5f8da.JPGIMG_2193.thumb.JPG.f2a6dede3a22e6c7a8b28cf790197ec6.JPG

The mustard is a German medium hot from a tube. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

What did you think?  I'm a ground beef/bean girl myself but yours looks good.

It was a change.  I cut it smaller than the recipe said to but if I make it again, I'll chop it even smaller.  I am tempted to add some beans too. (ducking)  It was very spicy and I cut back on the heat at that. I wanted to try a different recipe because the last time I made my recipe, I felt it was not as good as I used to think it was.

11 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

It was a change.  I cut it smaller than the recipe said to but if I make it again, I'll chop it even smaller.  I am tempted to add some beans too. (ducking)  It was very spicy and I cut back on the heat at that. I wanted to try a different recipe because the last time I made my recipe, I felt it was not as good as I used to think it was.

I would have made it smaller cuts, too.  And when I said ground beef, I meant venison.  I'm so used to venison that it's the same as beef to me.

I might try the same as you did with venison chunks using the pressure cooker...but it has to have beans.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

but it has to have beans.

No it doesn't. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Forgot to take pics before I put the leftovers away....but I fixed HOMEGROWN chicken-BBQ'd;  HOMEGROWN Sweet corn; and HOMEGROWN potatoes.   Today was one of two chicken killing' days here, so I did up a whole chicken for dinner. =)

• Like 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Badly plated SV duck breast over maple/mustard sauce and fried polenta;  with roasted beets over beet greens

064.thumb.jpg.6608d00bdca4ccb8a705942ba4dda52c.jpg

Lasagna and salad with pickled cauliflower

035.thumb.jpg.fca5e144f3863ba6bc294b1b250280f8.jpg

Pork tenderloin with apple/mustard sauce and rosemary sweet potatoes

003.thumb.jpg.f7e01b12f7048dbb98c7cf85e0a202b3.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 18

I, too, forgot to take pics, but dinner was beef curry, from Instant Pot Indian (or something to that effect) by Urvashi Pitre. I used tenderized round steak, cut in small chunks, vs. the called-for chuck roast, because I had it.

Good. Like most of her recipes, I used probably 30 percent more of all spices except the red pepper, and used maybe half of that. Word of caution: If you like the sweet tinge that take-out Indian so often has, add a tablespoon of honey to her sauces. And most of her recipes create a surplus of sauce, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Cooked it PIP in the stackable tiffin tins in the IP. 20 minutes, 20 minute NPR.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com