• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Rosh Hashana eve.

Challah, since I don't keep kosher, I always make it with butter, which I think makes it taste much better than the ubiquitous oil based challahs.

Ricotta with pomegranate and thyme (it's the first year I get to enjoy pomegranates from my own garden).

IMG_20170920_182837_1.thumb.jpg.6f3f25e45bd197d3a5941f5e5b94a4cd.jpgIMG_20170920_195433.thumb.jpg.6e030ecea65fe92ddcc70fcf7259f17c.jpg

Meatballs in tanjia (also made a vegetarian version). Served with allspice flavored rice.

Mushrooms in butter, garlic, lemon thyme and honey.

IMG_20170920_193332.thumb.jpg.061572ff5a8572743987ac562656f19d.jpgIMG_20170920_195628.thumb.jpg.8af5ef02bcda195ce76ab84223fa1816.jpg

Eggplants in matbucha style tomato and pepper sauce. Plus black eyed peas. Works well with the challah to mop up sauce.

Quick pickle salad using apple cider vinegar.

IMG_20170920_195815.thumb.jpg.2f751207d336a17c6086192b0d1dfadf.jpgIMG_20170920_194131.thumb.jpg.181d0848151a3a4ce3782a96f912a317.jpg

Apple strudel, with raisins, nutmeg and only a little cinnamon.

IMG_20170920_183304.thumb.jpg.5e8720011504a3c73ea46efaaa08d4fd.jpgIMG_20170920_212724.thumb.jpg.4da03e465ca588fd14a6b7bed7d72036.jpg

And obviously plenty of wine :)

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 22
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

HungryChris,

Frank Pepe would be proud, and your clam pizza looks so good!

Deb and I have waited outside quite a few times on Wooster St. in New Haven for a seat at Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana. Also, more than once, we have been crestfallen, after the hour drive, by a little sign in the window that read "No Clam Pies Today". Every time we succeeded, however, I would lust for the day that I could make that pie at home. Having recently taken up clamming, it's a natural fit. I do appreciate your comment!!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

Taco night. Deb does not like shredded lettuce on hers, but I do, so I have my little bag of shredded lettuce at the ready (top right of the last pic). Deb's condiment of choice is pico de gallo, mine is habanero salsa

HC.

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.62c2f735a37195d414dd0ffe5513d658.JPGIMG_0680.thumb.JPG.eb7b27e2e7e581d8579a1607619e8677.JPGIMG_0681.thumb.JPG.bcf890353662665f74c325bac3a13692.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, shain said:

And obviously plenty of wine :)

Wish I had been there.   I would not have refused the wine but I'm sure I would've devoured the food. Can you tell us more about the meatballs and sauce, please. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

Please stop it.  I haven't even had breakfast yet and I want that plate of food now!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, robirdstx said:

IMG_0742.thumb.JPG.8c500010395f52028adb25ce3cc03c9d.JPG

Pot Roast and Vegetables with Gravy - made in my Instant Pot

Do you cook the vegetables and the meat separately?  I have seen recipes for beef stew that looked good but everything was cooked at the same time which made me think of mushy veggies.  Yours looks delicious.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Do you cook the vegetables and the meat separately?  I have seen recipes for beef stew that looked good but everything was cooked at the same time which made me think of mushy veggies.  Yours looks delicious.

Thank you! I cook the meat first, then add the vegetables. Here is what I did this time:

I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, then browned it in the pot. Then I added beef broth, sweet vermouth, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, a bay leaf and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 15 minutes with Natural Release. Added the potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms and more broth and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 6 minutes and Quick Release. Thickened the gravy with xanthum gum, added frozen peas, covered and left on Keep Warm for about 20 minutes.

Edited by robirdstx
Added mushrooms. (log)
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Thank you! I cook the meat first, then add the vegetables. Here is what I did this time:

I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, then browned it in the pot. Then I added beef broth, sweet vermouth, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, a bay leaf and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 15 minutes with Natural Release. Added the potatoes, carrots, onion and more broth and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 6 minutes and Quick Release. Thickened the gravy with xanthum gum, added frozen peas, covered and left on Keep Warm for about 20 minutes.

Thank you.  This I could go for.  Is there a recipe you can link to detailing amounts?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  This I could go for.  Is there a recipe you can link to detailing amounts?

You are welcome. Sorry no, I just used my own pot roast recipe which uses a 2 to 2.5 lb chuck roast, 3 cups of broth (divided use), 1/4 cup sweet vermouth, a couple teaspoons or more of worcesterhire sauce, garlic to taste. I used 3 large red potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks), four large carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks), 1/2 large white onion (cut into wedges), several button mushrooms (sliced thick), 1/2 cup frozen peas, and several sprinkles of xanthum gum.

Edited by robirdstx
Added the mushrooms! (log)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lindag said:

Ditto for W. Montana.  It's been a very long, hot and dry summer and I'm done with it.

I can't wait to cook soups, stews and braises and roasts!!!!

It's my favorite time for cooking and I'm ready!

We've all been thinking about you in Western Montana all summer long and wishing the best.  It's been a terrible wildfire season.  I don't think a lot of people realize that we really don't get full relief until the first heavy snows!  As far as cooking, I'm doing my first of the year Apple Tarte Tatin today, and I'm already doing planning for Fall dishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can you tell us more about the meatballs and sauce, please. 

Sure, the tanjia is made by thinly slicing and deeply caramelizing a couple of onions. Then you add a couple of handful of dried fruits - apricots are a must, I also included prunes, figs and a few raisins (date syrup (silan) is also a very good and common addition, but I opted to make it less sweet this time). Add a handful of almonds and walnuts. Add turmeric (1/2 tbspn), 2 cinnamon sticks (or powder), chili and salt to taste. Add water (about a cup) and cook gently, covered.

Follow your favorite meatballs recipe, using about 2-2.5 pounds of ground meat. Use cinnamon, chili and cumin as spices in the meatballs mix. Shape the meatballs small and with an elongated or flat shape (for greater surface area). Pan fry. them and add to the sauce. Simmer gently until it is thickened, the dried fruits are soft (but not falling apart) and the meatballs soaked the flavors. Serve on top of couscous or long grain rice.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

@shain

Many thanks.  It is certainly a very different way to make a meal of meatballs.  I am not much of a fan of the usual North American ways (spaghetti and meatballs, Swedish meatballs, meat ball subs etc.) so I might give this a try. 

Wow!   I just looked up 

tanjia

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

You are welcome. Sorry no, I just used my own pot roast recipe which uses a 2 to 2.5 lb chuck roast, 3 cups of broth (divided use), 1/4 cup sweet vermouth, a couple teaspoons or more of worcesterhire sauce, garlic to taste. I used 3 large red potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks), four large carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks), 1/2 large white onion (cut into wedges), several button mushrooms (sliced thick), 1/2 cup frozen peas, and several sprinkles of xanthum gum.

I just saw a recipe this morning for a similar bu Italian style pot roast.  It was served over packaged (the kind sold in rolls) polenta that had bee sliced and broiled in the oven for about six to 8 minutes.  Do you think that would work with your recipe?  I haven't a lot of experience with polenta and thought this might be a good way to use it.

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

I just saw a recipe this morning for a similar bu Italian style pot roast.  It was served over packaged (the kind sold in rolls) polenta that had bee sliced and broiled in the oven for about six to 8 minutes.  Do you think that would work with your recipe?  I haven't a lot of experience with polenta and thought this might be a good way to use it.

Sorry, but I am the wrong one to ask, as I have never made polenta. My husband likes his stew served on bread, so maybe.

Chilean sea bass and flageolet beans.  Very beige but very tasty dinner.  Fish was cooked in CSO, beans in instant pot.  On the table in less than 30 minutes (not counting soaking time).

IMG_0152.thumb.JPG.8f0c31d19b4425f3e316eee37b0f3607.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

John got back Tuesday and is leaving today but we had two dinners together...

coq au vin with boiled potatoes(John's request) on wednesday

baked pork chops with sautéed zucchini and mashed sweet potatoes last night

The pork chops were a revelation.  Found them in a local farmers market the other day.  They are pasture raised from a local farm and were some of the best I have had in a while.  I will be buying them again.

Forgot to add that I used the pan juices from the pork chops with a bit of water and several tiny forelle pears to make a sauce.  Chops were great without the sauce but the sauce was sublime.  I kept the leftovers for me....I'm going to top the last of the mashed sweets with the pan sauce.:x

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites