• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Haven't posted in a while.  But I always come to this thread for inspiration.  

A few of our recent meals.

59bd1ad3d236e_StuffedBabyBackRibsSeptember6th2017.thumb.jpg.a3ba07d7e6491c4bc150c8b0234580ef.jpg

Last week I made Stuffed Baby Back Ribs.   Picture of the ribs ready for the oven.  

59bd1ac6c80cf_SpaghettiandmeatallswitholivesSeptember13th2017.thumb.jpg.7909feb25b45a42fbfd20a46f7ca0556.jpg

Spaghetti and my favourite meatballs. Pork, Garlic and Fresh Basil.

59bd1abbe91bb_GrilledNewYorkStripSeptember15th2017.thumb.jpg.37a365447ac3ceab585b2138686656aa.jpg 

Last night's dinner.   Grilled NY Strip with baked potato.

59bd1aafb5441_ChickenCurryandAlooGobiSeptember13th2017.thumb.jpg.e076c1214f509afd09aac28afefb863e.jpg

Chicken Curry and Aloo Gobi.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

9 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I've missed your amazing dishes Ann_T.  They always look spectacular 

Yes. I was getting worried about you and logged onto your website and determined that you were probably still in the land of the living. xD

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, weedy said:

Monterey Seafood Watch (perhaps the most reliable source for sustainable seafood info)

How did you form that conclusion?  What makes them (a west coast based organization) more reliable than say the East coast, aforementioned organization which liam linked to?

Grilled corn in Thai red curry and coconut sauce, with chopped peanuts and aniseed.

Noodle salad with pepper, chili and cucumber in savoury peanut sauce, basil, scallion, lemon, palm sugar, toasted cashew. 

IMG_20170915_140530.thumb.jpg.6d3fe876d7dd03ea290dfae2d25b67d6.jpgIMG_20170915_135421.thumb.jpg.bde66a170c35fcad5bb69c31d682e3c2.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 9

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

How did you form that conclusion?  What makes them (a west coast based organization) more reliable than say the East coast, aforementioned organization which liam linked to?

One of the reasons the Seafood Watch program of the Monterey Bay Aquarium is so well regarded is that it has no ties to fishing management organizations; it does not determine catch quota or issue licenses. The news piece below about bluefin tuna prices speaks for itself. It is a no-brainer that the threatened extinction of certain species is affected by human greed. Elephant tusks, tiger penises and shark fins are some of the animal parts some people find valuable enough to be worth decimating their numbers. 

Paul Greenberg's  "Four Fish" is one of the most well written and insightful books about our ocean ecology and politics. He is a long time fisherman whose thoughtfulness makes it a surprising page-turner. Highly recommended reading!

I am in no way an expert on any of this. There is lots of information out there about the endangered bluefin tuna. We should all try to be informed and decide for ourselves what makes the most sense. 

"On Monday, a single 380-pound bluefin tuna sold for about $37,500 in the first auction of the year at the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. That's far below the peak price of $1.76 million that a bluefin went for at the same market in 2013, and this year's price isn't a good indicator of the supply, or population status. But it is a reminder of the unrelenting hunger and willingness to pay top dollar for the fatty pink flesh of this swiftly disappearing wild fish."—NPR “The Salt” 2014

"Tuna then are both a real thing and a metaphor. Literally they are one of the last big public supplies of wild fish left in the world. Metaphorically they are the terminus of an idea: that the ocean is an endless resource where new fish can always be found. In the years to come we can treat tuna as a mile marker to zoom past on our way toward annihilating the wild ocean or as a stop sign that compels us to turn back and radically reconsider.
     Today, high-seas and highly migratory fish are overseen by 18 regional fisheries-management organizations. These “consensus-oriented” institutions, in which each member nation has equal status, can be guided more by political horse-trading than by sound science. A former chairman of the scientific committee of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (or Iccat), the body responsible for Atlantic bluefin, told me, “Even though scientific advice says you should stick to a specific catch number, in order to negotiate a deal they tend to nudge that number over a little bit.” That little nudge can be enough to put a population of tuna in jeopardy.
     In 2008 Iccat set Atlantic bluefin catch limits that were nearly double what its own scientists recommended. Conservationists howled, and the quotas were reduced sharply. But by the time Iccat met again, in November 2009, environmentalists had come to home in on the historic mismanagement of Atlantic bluefin, many of them arguing that a simple reduction in catch quotas for the coming fishing season was not enough — that in fact a zero-catch quota was the only thing that would stave off the fish’s extinction. Iccat rejected the zero-quota idea. This in turn forced a much more high-pitched confrontation this spring between parties like Japan, which seems to feel that fishery-management problems can be resolved within the status quo, and those who are looking to take the high seas in a profoundly different direction."—Paul Greenberg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A nice BBQ with family for Saturday lunch/Dinner

Cheese stuffed Rissoles & Sausages in the Kettle.  Chicken on the Spit and Zucchini, Tomatoes, Onions with thyme on the gas BBQ.

Cesar and Potato salad.

IMG_20170916_141822.thumb.jpg.affdee4ab6c63a02ecf612659d8bd7c1.jpg

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 10

I am sorry that my dinner choice sort of derailed this topic.  I can tell you that bluefin tuna is only available directly from Massachusetts fishermen for a brief time and we are told it is sustainable.  That said, in the interest of eGullet I will ask both of the purveyors of the bluefin that I have access to about the issue. One is at my farmer's market (Red's Best) and the other is on Cape Cod (Mac's Seafood).  I am not sure how much information I will get from Red's but I know Mac's will be forthcoming.  I will see Red's on Tuesday and Mac's the first week of October.  After I talk to both of them I will start a new topic (unless one already exists, I'll look) where we can debate the merits of eating various controversial foodstuffs.

I'm having fish for dinner tomorrow night.  What kind, I don't know, but it won't be tuna.  I'm in a fish share and we eat what they give us--usually a lesser known local white fish (please no pollock)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I am sorry that my dinner choice sort of derailed this topic.  I can tell you that bluefin tuna is only available directly from Massachusetts fishermen for a brief time and we are told it is sustainable.  That said, in the interest of eGullet I will ask both of the purveyors of the bluefin that I have access to about the issue. One is at my farmer's market (Red's Best) and the other is on Cape Cod (Mac's Seafood).  I am not sure how much information I will get from Red's but I know Mac's will be forthcoming.  I will see Red's on Tuesday and Mac's the first week of October.  After I talk to both of them I will start a new topic (unless one already exists, I'll look) where we can debate the merits of eating various controversial foodstuffs

That will be interesting to hear what both of them say. Thanks! Oh, and I agree this belongs in a new thread.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

The clam beds I just bought a permit for have been closed for about 2 weeks because of recent heavy rain. Friday morning, I called the number for the recorded status and was pleased to hear they were open again. Low tide was at 11:45 am so I got there at 11am. It took me about a half hour to find a productive area and by 1 pm I was pretty worn out. The daily limit is 1 peck. Who has a 1 peck measuring cup? Here is what I came home with, and I think it is pretty close to a peck.

IMG_0649.thumb.JPG.9381713cda587d130de50597497cdaaa.JPG

My hands and wrists were pretty worn out from powering the rake through the sand, so I waited until Sat night to break out the clam knife. We had chourico stuffed clams and a Greek salad, which we were both quite happy with. Sunday will be linguini with white clam sauce.

HC

IMG_0657.thumb.JPG.7171988fdbfa9c590b3cc78bf5e0941f.JPGIMG_0654.thumb.JPG.81b446289ae326fcea32592e3a255934.JPG

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.e0730e75a982a851e5eb842253db936e.JPG

• Like 17

On 9/16/2017 at 8:40 AM, Ann_T said:

Haven't posted in a while.  But I always come to this thread for inspiration.  

A few of our recent meals.

59bd1ad3d236e_StuffedBabyBackRibsSeptember6th2017.thumb.jpg.a3ba07d7e6491c4bc150c8b0234580ef.jpg

@Ann_T

Missed you , @Ann_T

Don't think I've ever seen plastic fishing worms as a garnish.  De-Barbed?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 5

On 9/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, Anna N said:

Yes. I was getting worried about you and logged onto your website and determined that you were probably still in the land of the living. xD

I did the same. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had friends over last night and dinner somehow ended up with orange theme.  

Campary and and pink sparkling wine cocktail.

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.d0f72c1e47ef947b39686ebf182cc380.JPG

Orange cheese: gouda aged for 3 years, mimolette.

IMG_0144.thumb.JPG.2b6f179cca32af7bdf841bf1e607229e.JPG

Cherry tomatoes and burrata salad.

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.ecc9aa7e09f12ddb2cd1de7ecd78350a.JPG

roasted butternut squash soup with feta cream

IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.462e7277b905ca6fb3254ab3c7fdbddf.JPG

shrimp with red red lentils and cornIMG_0148.thumb.JPG.7940d42a7973fa4fe27f8b22edab75f5.JPG

pistachios gelato with cantaloupe purée and shaved extra dark chocolate 

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.d99fb449a106501d9d93566e40f950fe.JPG

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3