• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Leftover (and over and over) Sardinian chickpea and celery soup for me tonight.  Pot is heating while I enjoy my peanuts and Mississippi punch.  So good, but it never ever ends.

Any reason you can't freeze it for later on?

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Any reason you can't freeze it for later on?

Forgive me, I misspoke.  It was chickpea and fennel soup.  The fregola with potato and celery is still taking up much of my refrigerator.

With some effort I finished the chickpea and fennel soup.  What was good, wonderful even, a few nights in a row becomes a duty and a burden after a couple weeks.  But I have a plan in place to repurpose the potato and celery fregola.

And, yes, there is a reason.  There is no room in my freezer for anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

26 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What was good, wonderful even, a few nights in a row becomes a duty and a burden after a couple weeks.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My dinner was a taco salad with leftovers from last night because I'd planned for three tacos with refried bean with cheese and Mexican red rice from the freezer. I could only finish two tacos with the sides, but the leftover taco filling was good over a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and the reheated ground chuck, Hatch chili and onion taco filling. The hot filling melted a lot of the cheese, and this was very satisfying with a few white corn tortilla chips heated a bit in the Ducth oven. Then I had about a half cup of baby butter beans leftover from the night before and a fried egg sandwich on some very good bread. This is the way a lot of my dinners go. Weird combinations to use up leftovers. Many of them are good anyway, and I enjoyed this one very much.

I am very happy to have cleaned out my freezer to a reasonable level and will be trying very hard to use ingredients before I buy more.

The only time I make big batches of soups or stuff like vegetable curry is when I know I can stow all but one portion I consume that night in the freezer. I get so sick of leftovers that it begins to be very demoralizing if I let it. Used judiciously, the freezer is the single person's friend though. I know I have a delicious serving of veg curry in there for an easy dinner and just need to make a pot of rice or pasta to have a quickly prepared dinner. I'm actually looking forward to it and I can wait until I get in the mood to enjoy it. I just need to remember that everything in there needs to be used within three months or inedible stuff will just keep piling up until the freezer isn't very useful anymore and only holds old, inedible stuff, and a huge pile of food waste guilt. :)

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Not sure if it will be lunch, dinner or something in between...

I have some cooked chicken breasts, a couple of mushrooms, some broccoli and some vegetable stock.  Looks like a chicken and broccoli tetrazzini.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.8a270d79ba7c60e4632f5f9ddfaf5c94.JPG

Bacon, egg (double yolker), mushrooms, tomatoes  and fried bread.  

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ham steak on the grill w/ an orange marmalade, ginger and teriyaki sauce:

DSCN7497.JPG.69bbc648ca4a14c141170ddd73cc97d9.JPG

Mr. Kim’s plate w/ kale and a sweet potato:

DSCN7498.thumb.JPG.df125b717d5e44d80d8ead92a262ae0a.JPG

My plate w/ creamed corn and ATK method baked potato:

DSCN7499.JPG.80b2474dd6d39802529d034b7a8659e5.JPG

The ‘method’ involves a quick ‘brine’ (literally just dipping the potato in salted water) and rubbing with oil 10 minutes before removing from the oven.  It did result in a much crisper skin than my usual method of rubbing with oil and salting before cooking – and was certainly no more difficult than that method. 

• Like 13

I had a Romaine and Campari tomato salad with a fresh lemon juice vinaigrette dressing. I topped it with the last of the feta, but wound up picking it out. Guess I wasn't in the mood for feta.

This was followed by a lovely thin-skinned almost perfect white potato purchased at Patel Brothers cut into thin french fries and fried in a twelve inch skillet in about half an inch of oil. When done, I fished them out into a paper towel lined glass petal bowl and immediately refilled the skillet with flour dusted medium peeled tail-on shrimps, about twenty or so. Enough to make the food cost bean counter at any restaurant cry, I assure you. This was served with fresh lemon wedges and homemade tartar sauce with minced white onion, dill gherkin, capers and flatleaf parsley in Duke's mayonnaise. So good and you can't buy a meal like this for any amount of money around here anymore.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

Steelhead trout in foil, with lemongrass, cilantro, green onion, ginger, Kaffir lime leaves, lemon slices in place of absent lime. A colleague gave me his lime tree, and I am SO pleased to have access to fresh leaves whenever! The tree will be moving inside for the winter.

59ba86eccd161_KaffirLimeTree0761.thumb.jpg.cd949d331350a694672073ce75b4c420.jpg                         

59ba87005d6b6_SteelheadTroutSlaw1026.jpg.d7013400006f2ad82b4183fb56ef73f1.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

IMG_1782.thumb.JPG.2f2a009e1c667633b1bbccaaa50404f2.JPG

A friend brought me two field tomatoes today. I would've liked to just inhale them but that didn't seem such a good idea given my physical limitations.  I opted to slice one of them, arrange it on a piece of toast, season it well with salt and pepper, garnish it with a few basil leaves and savour every mouthful. Mmmmmmmmm. 

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_1782.thumb.JPG.2f2a009e1c667633b1bbccaaa50404f2.JPG

A friend brought me two field tomatoes today. I would've liked to just inhale them but that didn't seem such a good idea given my physical limitations.  I opted to slice one of them, arrange it on a piece of toast, season it well with salt and pepper, garnish it with a few basil leaves and savour every mouthful. Mmmmmmmmm. 

Oh ....yeah.....THOSE are nice looking.  I can almost taste them.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, suzilightning said:

Not sure if it will be lunch, dinner or something in between...

I have some cooked chicken breasts, a couple of mushrooms, some broccoli and some vegetable stock.  Looks like a chicken and broccoli tetrazzini.

ended up being linner and dinner and dinner again. 

I asked John if he wanted to take the leftovers for dinner tonight before he heads up into the 'dacks tomorrow.  He said "No thank you...."   he felt the broccoli had him expressing himself like a motorcycle and didn't want to annoy his fellow campers(course it's OK to annoy your wife, I guess).

I don't think the cats will be annoyed if the broccoli bothers me over the weekend....9_9

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites