• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

9 minutes ago, weedy said:

ALV??

A la Voltaggio. See here.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday Dinner out at a local Malaysian restaurant called Malay Malay in League City. This was our first visit and we really enjoyed everything we tasted.

IMG_0720.thumb.JPG.5eea989f27d06a5675b1402dac65f869.JPG

The view of the bar area from our table.

IMG_0717.thumb.JPG.53273eb34409abd51bfcb1382198312c.JPG

Appetizers: Roti Canai (Indian Style Pancake) with a Curry Chicken and Potato Dipping Sauce and Mixed Satay (Chicken and Beef) with a Peanut Dipping Sauce

IMG_0718.thumb.JPG.c3b05684ab19a4aa484ab916a9f3cb7b.JPG

Sizzling Black Pepper Shrimp and Vegetables (came with white rice)

IMG_0719.thumb.JPG.e097f457d0079071d5c7db166c214661.JPG

Beef Rendang with Green Beans and Cucumber (came with Coconut Rice)

• Like 14

2 hours ago, weedy said:

the microwave technique?

I think I was the one to mention that here first!!

but I guess I missed seeing it referred to as the acronym

Yes you were!  I got tired of typing tehewhole thing so I started the acronym.  Hope it catches on!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Usually I use this recipe: Creamed Corn  - however, this time I made what I call "Winter Creamed Corn".  When I'm in NC (haven't found it anywhere else), I buy this product: Corn in a tube.  I mix it with a bag of good frozen corn and it makes surprisingly good creamed corn.  I just happened to have a tube in my freezer and decided to use it for a quick meal.

@Kim Shook I found that very same tube of cream corn at my new local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store. It's in the frozen veggies section of the store. They had the regular and the white corn. Good to know it's an edible product! You might look for it in your local Super Walmart that has groceries.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I had plans (and thawed brats, "Southern Whiskey" flavor from the new smoked meats store down the road) for brats, new sauerkraut, and home fries tonight. I was at a client's office all day, and an unexpected errand that kept me out until well after 6 kicked those plans in the head. So far, I have had a baked sweet potato (new crop, from the farmers' market) with a copious quantity of butter, and I think I'm still hungry, so I'll probably grab some cheese and crackers and call it done. Tomorrow it is supposed to pour all day, there's nothing for which I have to leave my home/office, and I'm here by myself (the kid is in Alaska chasing moose and bears and such), so I'll do the brats and kraut and potatoes then. 

Meanwhile, another glass of wine...

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We chose to celebrate St. September's Day last night, and a fine meal it was. Ninety minutes in the IP for the corned beef flat cut, but I have learned that the IP cannot be trusted to do the vegetables in the corned beef liquor, when restarted while still hot. I have found that it is much easier and less problematic to simply have the cabbage, potatoes and carrots in a pot on the stove and transfer the corned beef cooking liquid to that pot and simmer to the desired doneness.

HC

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.8b762d5eeaec5b24d76a092dcdbd835c.JPGIMG_0621.thumb.JPG.eaa1ed317b502cc3fa44f39e3d2f1360.JPG

• Like 8

On 9/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, Toliver said:

@Kim Shook I found that very same tube of cream corn at my new local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store. It's in the frozen veggies section of the store. They had the regular and the white corn. Good to know it's an edible product! You might look for it in your local Super Walmart that has groceries.

Thank you!  I'll be checking.  I used to be able to find it at Richmond VA area Food Lions, but no more.  

Dinner last night was a layered salad, consisting of lettuce, cauliflower, mayo, sweet onion, bacon, hard boiled eggs and cheese:

DSCN7494.thumb.JPG.ca7b79bdac6afe37eb3e6c566625f38d.JPG

I made one for a church potluck on Sunday and neither of us got a single bite (I was counting the collection and Mr. Kim was grilling hamburgers).  At least 3 people wanted the recipe, though.  I had all of the ingredients and made a small one for us.  It WAS good!

• Like 6

#1 dog had to go in to the vet's today for cold laser therapy on her recent ACL repair so I stopped in at Pap Murphy's for my favorite Hawaiian pizza along with their chicken Caesar salad...both favorites I've ordered many times.

No-fuss dinner, just the ticket!

• Like 4

FINALLY!!!   By the end of the week we'll be in the 50‘s instead of the 90‘s, with RAIN!!!

I already bought the Italian sausage and the kale so I can make some oh-so-comforting sausage potato soup with kale.

I can hardly wait!

• Like 4

Leftover (and over and over) Sardinian chickpea and celery soup for me tonight.  Pot is heating while I enjoy my peanuts and Mississippi punch.  So good, but it never ever ends.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou