• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Did me a slow-cooked chicken and eggplant (but I call them aubergines) curry  with coconut milk for tonight. I had intended also doing a dahl, but in the end it didn't happen. You can't really see the eggplant well as it half melted into the sauce.

curry.thumb.jpg.0935d5ac320900a2631d772fb362fe53.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/8/2017 at 9:41 AM, Anna N said:

IMG_1618.thumb.JPG.c2b6aa259458733e187741159b753f3e.JPG

Sous vide lamb shoulder chops and broccoli cooked in the Thermomix.  Still not happy with the lamb chops and next time will go for 24 hours. The broccoli however is extremely good. This is the second time I have cooked it in the Thermomix. 

What are you unhappy about with the lamb?

it's interesting because, for example, if one typically brooks a lamb chop to med-rare, the inside is pink but not in any way "tenderized" while the outside is browned. 

The usual reason to SV it instead is to avoid too big a gradient difference from crust to center. (As you obviously know). 

So if someone is "happy" with the CENTER of a broiled chip, cooking it SV (for moderate times) only extends that center 'doneness' to the edges. 

I guess I don't expect or want a stew texture on a chop. 

But I don't see why a SV chop isn't a more evenly done version of a broiled one. 

Am i missing something?

are you hoping for a unique texture?

inquiring, Sous viding, minds want to know!

• Thanks 1

@Anna N

may I ask the times and temps for those shoulder chops ?

i love lamb  not so much its fat

but Im thinking of moving back to L from time to time

zillions of years gone by

I made , on occasion , TJ's Fz rack of lamb

from Canada , eh ?

and it was a very special treat

granted Rack is not Shoulder , nor Leg

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Am i missing something?

are you hoping for a unique texture?

inquiring, Sous viding, minds want to know!

I don't think you're really missing anything. These were shoulder chops and I have often cooked them in the past on the grill or on the stove top and found them to be adequately tender. My last two times doing them sous vide, I've had less success. I've gone anywhere now from 1 1/2 to about six hours at a temperature of anywhere from 54.5° to, I think,  58°C.  I suspect they need closer to 24 hours.  But I also think it must have a great deal to do with the age of the lamb!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

may I ask the times and temps for those shoulder chops ?

i love lamb  not so much its fat

but Im thinking of moving back to L from time to time

zillions of years gone by

I made , on occasion , TJ's Fz rack of lamb

from Canada , eh ?

and it was a very special treat

granted Rack is not Shoulder , nor Leg

These were cooked from frozen at 56°C for between five and six hours and were quite tough and lacking in flavour too. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

We are staying put but boy things are deterating  fast as the storm is tracking west instead of east.  Interstate is a road block and gas is in short supply .  Cars are on the side of the road on Interstate 75 having run out of gas.  Hunkering down and hoping for the best 

Prayers for your safety and minimal damage. Stay dry and safe!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

BEAUTIFUL. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1677.thumb.JPG.01cbfe5f3ba2c8d82ed39833c017e054.JPG

Had to be something simple tonight. Just-baked bread spread with Hellmann's mayonnaise mixed with taco sauce and some rotisserie chicken from Costco.   Pickled green beans on the side. I might give my eyeteeth for a glass of wine but the "wine cellar" is bare. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Jacksoup said:

@Anna Nlove the plating/dishing of the green beans.  I'd send you wine from CA if I could, my daughter works in Napa, I have access to lots and lots

How nice of you!  Mind you it would probably be wasted on this peasant who drinks Peller Estates dry white table wine from a box.  xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

I watched a documentary today on the Mandelbrot set and fractals. Helped me better understand what I am doing here. 

Well I know the Mandelbrot set is not even distantly related to Mangle-wurzel  so you'll have to enlighten me as to what comprises your beautiful dish. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

I watched a documentary today on the Mandelbrot set and fractals. Helped me better understand what I am doing here.

Here's the only Mandelbrot set I can relate to:

Mandel-Brot.jpg.d95999972e0377464d85c0677c190e32.jpg

I looked up the Mandelbrot set to see if it had anything to do with the pastry.  It doesn't.  It was named to honor mathematician Benoit Madelbrot.   It was based on the Julia set.  Now here's the only Julia set I can relate to:

Julia_Child_French_Chef.jpg.fa6d62efc60ab87fdfe477b894157f50.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Recently purchased a small raclette grill -- gave it trial run for dinner tonight. Served raclette cheese, grilled onions, tiny potatoes, and cornichons. Enjoyed with a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc. For dessert Instant Pot cheesecake and homemade raspberry sauce. I think I am good on a calcium for a few days!  :laugh:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

@scubadoo97 I will be thinking of you.  I am watching the weather channel non-stop.  I really like how your governor is handling this.

@rotuts  Do not look at the following meal.....it will upset you greatly 

Venison stuffed bell peppers and porcupine balls done in the Instant Pot

IMG_3718.JPG.7d10c200c62f6f708ac95d70a86b2bc8.JPG

@rotuts isn't up to that photo

• Haha 1

After my evening bacon fest I was not expecting to actually have dinner.  How'ere long about midnight I confess I became a wee bit peckish.  Two hours later I was sitting down to Gamberi con Piselli (p161):

Dinner09102017.png

Rinsing parsley at the sink I had a sneezing fit and while trying not to contaminate the food I aspirated my own hair.  That was a new experience.

Like many of Bugialli's recipes I could never have envisioned the dish before I made it.  Leap of faith.  Bread and torn parsley not shown.*  I can only believe that for a poor island some folks on Sardinia eat very well indeed.

*nor, for that matter, the bottle of Soave.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I wanted something simple tonight with a minimum of preparation and cleaning up as I'm leaving early tomorrow (5:30 am) for a short trip into the countryside and want to sleep early. So,

duck.thumb.jpg.a6ac9b8f1379814bb42f3ab2ae71dfdb.jpg

Pan fried duck breast, potatoes and okra  (fried in the rendered duck fat). Spicy mango relish.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/9/2017 at 3:46 AM, MetsFan5 said:

@Kim Shook can you share your creamed corn recipe? I've only had it at Lawry's Prime Rib and it was amazing! 

Usually I use this recipe: Creamed Corn  - however, this time I made what I call "Winter Creamed Corn".  When I'm in NC (haven't found it anywhere else), I buy this product: Corn in a tube.  I mix it with a bag of good frozen corn and it makes surprisingly good creamed corn.  I just happened to have a tube in my freezer and decided to use it for a quick meal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1