• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

19 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

My husband hated stroganoff so for years I fed him beef with mushroom sauce and sour cream. He loved it.

My son decided one day that parsnips were definitely inedible if not actually poisonous, so for years after that I only ever served him "Chinese white carrots", which he loved. They were, of course, the same parsnips.

In a similar vein, one of my younger brothers decided as a pre-teenager that he hated onions. One day, we were eating dinner as a family and said brother exclaimed "What is this soup! It is wonderful. Can I have more, please?"  The rest of the family, me included, fell about laughing, to his utter confusion. Yes, it was onion soup. He is now head chef of a large New York restaurant (I won't say which but there can't be too many with British head chefs) and hates anyone telling that story.

Sorry, bruv!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

My son decided one day that parsnips were definitely inedible if not actually poisonous, so for years after that I only ever served him "Chinese white carrots", which he loved. They were, of course, the same parsnips.

In a similar vein, one of my younger brothers decided as a pre-teenager that he hated onions. One day, we were eating dinner as a family and said brother exclaimed "What is this soup! It is wonderful. Can I have more, please?"  The rest of the family, me included, fell about laughing, to his utter confusion. Yes, it was onion soup. He is now head chef of a large New York restaurant (I won't say which but there can't be too many with British head chefs) and hates anyone telling that story.

Sorry, bruv!

All his life, my father had a "delicate" stomach. He only ate meat and potatoes, salt no pepper, "it would have killed him". Butter only on his sandwiches, " condiments would have killed him". After my sister married and left home, she used to bake a chocolate cake for him and loved watching him eat every bite. It was a mayonnaise cake. She was a mean woman! but oh how he love that cake and not even a twinge in the stomach.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, kayb said:

So...how was it? Your verdict? Is the watermelon, in fact, indistinguishable from tomatoes?

(Have a watermelon sitting in the dining room floor and pork steaks in the freezer...)

Clickity on the link--I gave the verdict on the cookbook thread :) 

On 8/17/2017 at 1:29 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,

My copy of Joy is copyright dated many times, but the last date is 1997. I mean there are about 20 copyright dates. I've had good luck with many of their microwave reccos. In fact it became a habit to nuke corn on the cob when I started cooking for fewer people just because of their advice. I was trying to save a dirty pot washup, but I'm going back to my boil or steam method from now on. My version of Joy has microwave directions for many vegetables, and I've never gone wrong with it before. I don't like broccoli nuked, and always do it in plenty of boiling water as per Marcella. I don't blame Joy for my asparagus fail. It's possible I set the lid of the casserole dish slightly askew, which would have allowed the steam to escape. I can't recall microwave instructions for anything else but veggies in my book.

It was sad to see that much asparagus ruined. It's also sad to me to see a couple or three spears served at obscenely expensive restaurants as a garnish. I would want more. Much more.

That asparagus was not your fault. I have been cooking with a microwave for many years. Yes, cooking with one. I learn to use them many years ago when I was working in restaurants, and I love mine, especially for vegetables. But, saying that, I have found out that there are two vegetables that you cannot cook in a microwave. Asparagus and green beans. For asparagus, I put them in a shallow skillet with a little bit of water for about 3 minutes until the water evaporates then put in butter and lemon juice for about 2 minutes and they are done. I do cover them with a lid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's dinner could have gone in Freezer Challenge, Instant Pot, or here...so here it be.
Marinated baby back ribs (purchased "a while back" at 50% off) in an experiment concoction of fresh lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves, ginger, garlic, Ponzu, and coconut oil in the afternoon.
                                                            59acd69d59412_Lemongrassmarinadeforbackribs0924.jpg.7eaf2721b6d43104515f0780b1da4887.jpg

Supper time, ribs were cooked in Instant Pot, high pressure for 30 minutes with chicken stock and all the bits from the marinade.
Quick release, brushed the ribs with a Keto-friendly spicy BBQ sauce and charred under the broiler.

Eaten with roasted cauliflower and bell peppers (sprinkled with Chakalaka seasoning), and steamed green beans with cracked black pepper butter.
All tasted pretty fine!
                                                    59acd6b2461da_LemongrassInstantPotBackRibs0925.jpg.270b0032089cbb3148347c5fc912b9cc.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ronnie smoked a domestic turkey breast and I finished by SV'ing.  Just the best, most juicy meat.

IMG_3649.JPG.749a6406b61403fb37ec266d86ac7e11.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG.3214b0995f53909f111462fb530ec567.JPG

Made some white bread in the CSO so put that all together and you get turkey sandwiches :)

IMG_3648.JPG.01db2805e061ac32fa0ff2149378877b.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG.6a2fbb17fcf16ee5ce6ebfeb5a48808f.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Indian meal for houseguests. This was my leftover plate for breakfast. Clockwise from front right:

Pork vindaloo

Parsi green chutney

Cucumber raita

Butternut squash with curry leaves

Green chicken korma

Onion kachumbar

Turmeric rice in the middle

VindalooFuji_2017-09-1.thumb.jpg.9f0f7bbcaa51cc799c730211556e89aa.jpg
  • Like 10

Labor Day dinner a day early yesterday was, for whatever reason, Mexican themed:

59ad737eae5c5_tacodayplate0903.jpg.486b11f2af54349c7be67daa6ac85410.jpg

Tacos al pastor from carnitas; tomato and street corn pie, refried beans, rice. Washed down with a (not shown) Negra Modelo and a wedge of lime. Followed by abject misery of having eaten too much, and a nap. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

Tacos al pastor from carnitas; tomato and street corn pie, refried beans, rice. Washed down with a (not shown) Negra Modelo and a wedge of lime. Followed by abject misery of having eaten too much, and a nap. 

Whatever street corn pie is I want some. Por favor, tell me how to make it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Whatever street corn pie is I want some. Por favor, tell me how to make it!

Oh, my God. I perfected this thing this summer. It's habit-forming

• four ears of corn, kernels cut off and cobs scraped
  • Assortment of tomatoes, sliced if regular tomatoes, cut in half if cherries or grapes; about 2-3 pounds' worth
  • Olive oil and sea salt
  • A cup of plain greek yogurt
  • about 1 tsp. smoked paprika
  • about 1/2 tsp cumin
  • about 1 cup grated cotija cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellman's, unless you're one of those Miracle Whip peeps)
  • 1/2 cup grated co-jack cheese
  • Your favorite pie crust

Sliced or half the tomatoes (I generally use a combo), drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and roast at 325F for an hour or so, until a lot of the moisture is gone.

Stir together the corn and milk scraped from cobs, yogurt, spices and cotija cheese. Set aside.

Stir together the mayo and grated co-jack. Set aside.

Par-bake pie crust, using weights, for 10 minutes, or just don't use one (I generally don't). In a nine-inch deep dish pie pan, or in crust, layer corn/yogurt mixture with tomatoes, winding up with tomatoes. Top tomatoes with mayo-cheese mixture. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or so, or until topping is browned. Let cool a bit before eating. Serve warm or at room temp. Good the next day, but needs to be warmed to take the chill off.

Roasting the tomatoes is the key. Whole thing gets too soggy, otherwise.

59ada14e30e2a_tomatocornpie0903.jpg.999221296ee70c3fc3325024a299514a.jpg

This was yesterday's. It's gone now.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Maybe they need to change the retail name back to Patagonian toothfish so it won't get fished out or existence

Name aside, and endangered status aside, I've never LIKED Patagonian Toothfish. 

It always seems nearly flavour-free to me.