• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

On 28/08/2017 at 11:23 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Does anyone have experience with freezing feta? Would it still be suitable for salads?

@Thanks for the Crepes I freeze feta because I buy it in bigger quantities than I can use up within a reasonable time frame.  I made a salad the other day and crumbled feta on top that had been frozen.  This is how it crumbled.

20170829_194753.jpg

• Like 5

John is feeling "under the weather" ... too much alcohol and staying up all night will do that to you.......

had bought some precooked frozen chicken breast strips...thawed. sautéed some onion, added carrots and a bay leaf....chicken broth and water....precooked gluten free noodles and the thawed chicken for soup.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Looking back on recent dishes, I noticed I'd made a lot of pasta dishes so I thought I'd do a sour cream and ranch seasoning mix potato salad with Chicken Stroganoff instead.  There is a good reason you don't see that combination anywhere else.  Egg noodles would have been a better idea. Both were good though. I also made an Amish Cake. It was pretty simple and good too.

20170831_175012.jpg

20170831_180720.jpg

• Like 9

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.a16db0afd0030dad3bdc985cc0bc87b9.JPG

Cheese and bacon toasty with a spoonful of Major Grey's. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.a16db0afd0030dad3bdc985cc0bc87b9.JPG

Cheese and bacon toasty with a spoonful of Major Grey's. 

Where is that freaking DROOL icon?!

Can I come live with you?  I do have two older black cats.........

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Bugialli's Pollo al Guazzetto, p108.  Bugialli notes that on Sardinia guazzetto means something entirely different than elsewhere.  Sorry, no picture, it has been a trying day.

Excellent, excellent recipe.  How could anything with eight tablespoons of capers go wrong?  Seriously, this is most like my recipe for chicken Cacciatore but better.  Served with Soave and good bread that almost didn't happen.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Can I come live with you?  I do have two older black cats.........

The cats would not be a problem but do you say "please" and "thank you" to your digital assistant?  This is Canada you know, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

BEAUTIFUL!  (Except for the eggplant.)xD

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

A few recent dinners:

By myself, so ribeye, cooked SV and white corn on the cob.  The corn this year has been pretty disappointing, but this one was the best so far.

ribeye-corn3.jpg.87a7dc571cb63512f2349c6ad71a44a2.jpg

That was the last of the steaks in the freezer, so a trip to the Business Costco for more steak (whole primal).  The local Costco also has them, but they are cheaper than the regular Costco.  Was looking for top sirloin, but they didn't have any I liked the look of, so for fifty cents more per pound I got New York.  Trimmed and cut into steaks yielded some smaller pieces, so I sliced them thin and made a stir-fry with cauliflower, green onions, snap peas, carrots, celery and mushrooms.

beef-stri-fry.jpg.259a100eb57aa54f3dccff308420e9eb.jpg

Had to try one of New Yorks, so last night I cooked one SV, served with peas cooked ALV, and mashed potatoes:

steak-peas-mash.jpg.b5d04012c50262ee474b3b90219ca4c1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Fish tacos from Melissa Clark's Dinner. 

IMG_6054.thumb.jpg.0b814c332d03c68fe81cbfc0985a45bb.jpg 
I used Trader Joe's kohlrabi & kale salad mix for the lime & jalapeño slaw.  I thought the olive oil dressing made the slaw seem heavy and greasy. 

The fish was local rock cod caught by friends of mine.  It was cooked in the CSO on steam-bake and came out perfectly. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Blue_Dolphin- so the dressing was Melissa's? I saw the advert for that mix and it intrigued me as I cook for one and buying the various ingredients makes little sense. Looks like a crema on there. Was there also a salsa? Seems like that would have obviated need for the heavy dressing.

In an earlier thread I tried RedBoat40 , via SV , on a sirloin steak

I liked the result.

sometimes , I get fresh burger from a local family chain that have very good meat.

by the lbs and not in the pre-packed meat case.

I did it yesterday  "

59a9ac2e64495_BN1.thumb.jpg.92a6cabf803236792e3d66c7b0159367.jpg

1/2 lbs split w the last of the TJ's S.African Smoke

good stuff , but idiotic plastic  ' grinder ' you then throw away.

idiots.

but now I add several drops of RB40 to each side and let it sit for a bit to absorb.

59a9acaedebbb_BN2.thumb.jpg.3744adf26f10a7e051d9c578243d9a86.jpg

oooking in my T-Fal non-stick  pan , which I oddly learned about on America Test Kichen

go figure.  I still like it in-spite of that.

finished dish :

59a9ad28436d3_BN3.thumb.jpg.4782049b8376eb1f416583c3bad66ee0.jpg

the cheese was form TJ's , 

st illtyd cheese

and was =it good.   so i called them to remember the name

and indeed its an august featured cheese.

they find a cheese they like from a small producer and buy it all up.

this is terrific melted.

that means their won't be any tomorrow.  it says pull by sept 2

but they are holding 4 for me.  Rats again.

anyway

RB40 is terrific on a burger and you get no fishy flavor at all

P.S.:  I called TJ's about this cheese.

they and 12 and what is not sold today is tossed and No More

so they are holding 6 for me for tomorrow and I vac-seal each and freeze

bet cheese Ive ever had for CheezeBurgers

second only to HomeAged Tj's runny Brie/camenbert

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9