• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Does anyone have experience with freezing feta? Would it still be suitable for salads?

It won't be good for salad, but should be fine for cooking. There are endless casseroles and quiches where feta will do good. It can also be blended to a paste, or used in panini. And you should also be fine storing it refrigerated for quite a while, I never had a feta go bad. Actually, a good feta can develop more flavor as it ages. 

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, shain said:

Actually, a good feta can develop more flavor as it ages. 

Thanks shain,

Actually more flavor I don't need. I'm not a stinky cheese kinda gal. :) I have had my Valbreso grow visible mold after I'd removed it from the can to avoid "tinny" flavor and placed it in an airtight plastic container with its brine. Maybe it would have been better off in the can, but my container was scrupulously clean. It's a lot of cheese to go through, even for two people, unless I want to make spanakoptia.

Thank you so much for your info about freezing feta.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Serious Eats has a bit to say about Greek salads: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/the-best-greek-salad-tomato-feta-summer-recipe.html

Daniel Gritzer is my favorite writer on Serious Eats. I always try to read his stuff, even if I have no intention, or ability, of making the recipe. (But this one I can deal with.)

I like the idea of using sumac noted in the comments section.

• Like 2

It cooled off a bit yesterday, only got up to 104F (as opposed to the day before when we hit 107F), so we felt like something light and cold for dinner.  So shrimp with avocado, carrots, celery, red bell pepper and snap peas.

shrimp-veg2.jpg.14707710484a4ff75e7969899a121f78.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight's dinner will be Cajun red beans and rice in my Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker; small quantity so I'll skip the IP this time.

It feels like a good day for something substantial and spicy despite the relentless hot weather and smoke.

• Like 4

Having some friends over for dinner tonight - wanted to put together something that required very little last-minute work and ended up with a wonderful summery spread.

Dessert is on the left - Dorie Greenspan's salted butter breakup, with fresh fruit, lemon curd and chocolate ganache for embellishing. Dinner will be an orzo salad with tomatoes, arugula and feta; hummus; tzatziki; kasseri, which will be fried up for saganaki; and @ElainaA's slow roasted cherry tomatoes. My original plan was to make pita to accompany, but neither time nor energy was on my side, so I picked up some excellent pita and markouk from a local Lebanese bakery.

IMG_2477.thumb.JPG.3617556654a4a8939f55b23828e9aab9.JPG

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Patty

Dinner tonight was linguini in white clam sauce, made from clams I harvested myself.  I learned today that EG rules (which I find stupid and counterproductive) do not allow me to tell you where that story is, but if you search, you may find it here on EG. Until that policy changes, which it must, we all have to pretend the off topic thread doesn't exist.

HC

IMG_0544.thumb.JPG.8eea8aea83b96729748abf08aaca3c5c.JPGIMG_0545.thumb.JPG.fa87107b611e4effefbb22d3640d3e59.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Tonight's dinner will be Cajun red beans and rice in my Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker; small quantity so I'll skip the IP this time.

It feels like a good day for something substantial and spicy despite the relentless hot weather and smoke.

A coincidence.  I am also making red beans and rice.  After consulting all my Southern cookbooks I winged it.  The Holly Trinity sautéed in bacon fat. Added dried thyme and oregano, powdered garlic and onion.  White and black pepper with a couple of tablespoons of Tabasco.  Bay leaves, shredded smoked pork hock meat and some cooked sliced hot Italian sausage from the freezer.  Lastly a cup of reduced pork stock made from our pig roast this year.  That sent it over the top.  Added the beans and cooking water then simmered for about an hour.  Hopefully I will remember to take a picture befor devouring.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Exceptionally good-looking food and photography as usual, liamsaunt. But who hates lobster; are you an alien? xD If you are an alien, you must be a kind one to indulge us humans by cooking up such a delicious creation as those little lobster rolls.

When I was a wee one, lobster and steamer clams were my favorite foods.  An unsupervised all you can eat clambake at my aunt's house at age 7 resulted in  my consumption of three lobsters and four full bowls of steamer clams and I also drank the broth, sand and all.  As you can imagine, I got terribly sick thanks to my gluttony.  I have had lobster only once since then, in 1997 at Biba restaurant in Boston. I ate one bite of their then famous lobster pizza.  I still have not had another steamer clam dunked in broth than butter.

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Dinner tonight was linguini in white clam sauce, made from clams I harvested myself.  I learned today that EG rules (which I find stupid and counterproductive) do not allow me to tell you where that story is, but if you search, you may find it here on EG. Until that policy changes, which it must, we all have to pretend the off topic thread doesn't exist.

HC

IMG_0544.thumb.JPG.8eea8aea83b96729748abf08aaca3c5c.JPGIMG_0545.thumb.JPG.fa87107b611e4effefbb22d3640d3e59.JPG

Yum! That's my kind of dinner.

Husband's plate of cockles in wine broth with lobster over garlic toast with fennel.  Adapted from a recipe in this month's Bon Appetit.  Mine had no lobster, obviously :-)

fish.thumb.jpg.cb8dc1810e33a7356f12bada946468f5.jpg

• Like 10

Chicken place in Asakasa, Tokyo. Basic, but very good. Freshly made, only lightly set tofu, various starters, rice & Zaru soba. Yakitori (liver, cartilage, wings, thigh, ...) - all very good. Pick of the evening was chicken tataki (basically briefly seared sashimi) of breast & thigh. And then the chicken meatballs: A work of art, so light and juice. I picked with pickled plum and shiso - it was hands down the best grilled chicken I ever had ...

WP_20170829_22_45_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_20_38_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_21_00_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_21_11_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_21_53_35_Pro.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

A coincidence.  I am also making red beans and rice.  After consulting all my Southern cookbooks I winged it.  The Holly Trinity sautéed in bacon fat. Added dried thyme and oregano, powdered garlic and onion.  White and black pepper with a couple of tablespoons of Tabasco.  Bay leaves, shredded smoked pork hock meat and some cooked sliced hot Italian sausage from the freezer.  Lastly a cup of reduced pork stock made from our pig roast this year.  That sent it over the top.  Added the beans and cooking water then simmered for about an hour.  Hopefully I will remember to take a picture befor devouring.

Unlike you, I am not an intuitive cook; I nearly always work from a recipe unless it's a dish I've made often enough that I can remember it (which becomes more difficult with time!)

However my Red Beans and rice recipe sounds very much like yours without the pork stock; it's a recipe I've used many times and is fast and easy in the PC.

• Like 2

I had a busy day and got home very tired, so just a quick chicken stir fry for dinner.

Thinly sliced a boneless chicken breast and marinated it in Shaoxing wine with garlic, green (fiery) and red chillies (not hot at all) and salt. Fried then added yellow garlic chives and soy sauce. Finished with sesame oil. Served with rice as ever.

20170830_210713.thumb.jpg.7fdf906d6fd5991e314c0c4ca98af474.jpg

20170830_210723.thumb.jpg.f23d5bf08b483ee113b7f7efe3b48abe.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_1402.thumb.JPG.758b0903f17399ee2d0483d36daf8430.JPG

I was given one of those  gigantic tomatoes  that could never win a beauty contest.  It  was gnarled and mishapen  and not quite ripe. I gave it a couple of days to see if it might ripen up evenly but knew that it would soon rot before it reached the peak of ripeness.  So this afternoon I cut it up discarding  some of its gnarliest pieces and tossed it into a pan with some olive oil and some garlic cloves. I added a walnut sized piece of butter and some salt and pretty much forgot it for a couple of hours. 

I was not sure what I might do with it. I had weighed up various additions but when it came time to taste it I realized it needed absolutely nothing.  It was just the essence of tomatoes. 

So a very simple dinner of pasta, fresh tomato sauce and some grated  parmesan. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A one person-sized lasagna

013.thumb.jpg.06c3f10a7050db98f89e0f54e0888090.jpg

SV pork loin (135F x 3 hrs) with maple-mustard sauce and mashed pots cooked just in the cream they'd be mashed in (as suggested on another thread). They were much creamier and rich even though no more cream than usual was used.

015.thumb.jpg.3e7e2d44e34151a873c7e9f023bb0799.jpg

SV flank steak (135 x 24 hrs) over tomato jam

023.thumb.jpg.2ffeec66b8dc3be9f6f4cb31a4d024b6.jpg

Italian sausage

026.thumb.jpg.efef1d1e4cc59bd601d0523564b5f127.jpg

• Like 11

On 2017-08-28 at 7:42 PM, Katie Meadow said:

I'm still making my Greeks the way I remember them in Greece. Since that was more than thirty years ago I don't know if my salads have morphed or not, but they are pretty basic. I cut up cukes and tomatoes (bite size wedges, not little dice) and mix them into individual bowls. I sprinkle on some salt, toss gently, and let sit fifteen minutes or so. This starts a nice puddle of juice at the bottom. Of course it is predicated on having nice ripe summer tomatoes. Then I add a bit of very finely shaved red onion. Radishes, maybe, if I have them. Sometimes I add a dusting of dry oregano, sometimes not. I spritz on just a wee bit of lemon juice and a good drizzle of olive oil. Then I add French Feta, which I find to be creamier than most others, and less salty. The salad gets topped with Kalamatas or some other good quality black olives. That's it. Eat with fresh baguette and sop of every drop of juice.

Green bell pepper? That's just wrong.

Well, green pepper makes an appearance in many Greek Salad recipes.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_salad

• Like 1