• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

is that a Loin or a tenderloin ?

looks delicious

what were your Sv parameters ?

i like Loin rare , but w enough time in the bath to get tender.

your top pic looks perfect

then did you torch the meat for pic II ?

Thank you!

It was a loin--not the smaller that usually comes 2 to a bag.  This was big--I cut it into 4 sections and froze the other 3.  It was in the water bath for about 3 hours at 135F.  Then I  seared the slices in my cast iron skillet.

• Like 5

was it "" fork-tender "" after 3 H's ?

I know you can get it that way if you are careful.

as zoo as i get 2 - 3 shelves   " free "  on FA  

Ill look into some loins  for the winter.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

was it "" fork-tender "" after 3 H's ?

I know you can get it that way if you are careful.

as zoo as i get 2 - 3 shelves   " free "  on FA  

Ill look into some loins  for the winter.

Yes, very very tender :) 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 2:42 AM, HungryChris said:

Maine lobsters were $4.99 pp this week and we were all in.

HC

IMG_0432.thumb.JPG.3e65e8c50d62c5c7c41c9cbdd43e650e.JPG

Just kill...me...now.

On 8/20/2017 at 6:36 AM, Shelby said:

Venison meatloaf sandwiches...homemade bread, homemade mayo....the tomatoes....I wished I had another stomach so I could eat another half.

599974250b12a_photo309.JPG.82db696fd94f5353b732d369261f3895.JPG

Dang it. I have been jonesing for meatloaf, mostly so I can have a meatloaf sandwich. Very possibly tomorrow.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:57 AM, robirdstx said:

A gift from a friend.

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.64f529a14bbc3cce283659842735a95e.JPG

Sous Vide Beef Ribeye, finished on the grill...

...and served with a stir fry of Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Onion.

I've been jonesing for steak, too. But I don't want to cook it. I want someone to cook it for me. Perfectly. Going to a conference next week; may have to make that happen.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:34 AM, dcarch said:

The Eclipse!

A quick side for the highly promoted eclipse.

Salad, Black Krim on Dad's Sunset tomatoes from the garden.

Yeah, I am not going to run out of tomatoes for this year. :P

dcarch

Eclipse.thumb.JPG.69afd9969c15d92069bc1051c8d6ff9f.JPG

Love-love-love the tomato eclipses. 

No cooking here of late. Tons of work stuff, and then to just make it interesting, I took a long weekend and went eclipse-chasing, an outing that included a pot-luck dinner on a houseboat in the middle of the Tennessee River shortly before 99.4 percent totality.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I was shopping for things I needed and looking for an idea for dinner when I saw two steaks with $2.00 off coupons attached so they came home and that was our dinner. Neither of us could finish it so it will be something with eggs in the morning or a sandwich at lunch time.  Charlie said he was getting tired of baked potatoes so made potato pancakes and mac and cheese topped with buttered bread crumbs. I thought I had panko but didn't so used Italian instead.

20170822_183335.jpg

20170822_183442.jpg

• Like 18

Spaghetti with almond pesto, roasted asparagus & red bell peppers. 

Yesterday, I made an almond pesto for another dish.  Tonight, I put it on pasta with some vegetables.

IMG_5969.thumb.jpg.b5c3ec94b19a1a0221890f19c4cdaa83.jpg

The pesto has almonds, olive oil, Parmigiano-Reggiano, orange juice and zest, nutmeg, chili flakes, honey and lemon juice.  It worked well here.  I think I'll freeze the rest in ice cube trays while I think of other uses.

• Like 11

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:48 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I have been eating well. Recently, a little rack of five pork spare ribs cooked in my Rival Crock Pot with a sweet potato nuked in it's skin. The sweet potato was cut in half and mashed with a fork in its skin and I ate it with just butter and salt. Brussel sprouts accompanied this meal very well.

Tonight and last night was pastrami sandwiches with Pane di Casa Bread from Band of Bakers and Boars Head Round Pastrami bought at Harris Teeter. Sometimes with mustard, sometimes with smoked provolone also from HT. Many times, I want mayo and lettuce and tomato on a sandwich. When I have really good pastrami and cheese, not so much, or sometimes not even any condiments. This bread cheese and a little of the very flavorful pastrami is all I want. It is unbelievable to me that there can be this much fat in round. I would put that down the miracles of sou vide. The tender texture and pull-apart grain of the thin slices is also very much appreciated. Pastrami seems to be the meat that grocery delis run out of most often around here. Also I found the Pane di Casa offered in a sliced half loaf this time! Perfect for me on my own, since this delicious, but lean bread doesn't freeze well at all. Also, even with a good serrated knife, this crusty bread is difficult to slice evenly and thinly at home. The sliced bread is much more uniform and thin than I can do justice to. 

I also found the first offering of purple muscadines from Cottle Farms in Faison, NC, about 70 mile mostly south of here and a bit east. I even found some New Mexican Hatch peppers at Harris Teeter! The muscadines are good, but I don't know yet about the Hatch. They were on sale for $1.29 a pound and it will be the first time for me to taste them fresh. No indication of mild/medium/hot was made, so they are mystery peppers.

I did not expect to find the promised Hatch peppers, so that was a pleasant surprise after last week's disappointment. They promised fresh figs in their sale flyer, but when I looked everywhere, and finally engaged an employee, they had none. No apology or promise of them later or give a flip, either. It would have been the first time I'd tasted fresh figs, so this was such a big let down.

I had a sliced banana and muscadines for dessert after my pastrami and smoked provolone sandwich. Life is good, and I have enough pastrami left for another sandwich.

Thank you.  You motivated me to bring home some pastrami.  Nothing fancy, this was from the local Shoprite.  Very tasty for my dinner at work tonight...though dinner at work is not my real dinner.  Which is more around the time of some folk's breakfast.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had big plans for dinner tonight, but had also promised myself to clean out the stale stuff from my fridge freezers so they could be ready for our garbage pick up tomorrow. Amazingly, I kept that promise and the stale stuff is at the curb waiting to be picked up on schedule. Yah!

I went ahead and made the Sichuan/Szechuan (whateves :)) dry fried beans with pork dish, but abandoned the shrimp fried rice I was going to make to accompany it. It took longer to do the freezer cleanout than I had anticipated. It wasn't just a dump into the garbage operation, because I was trying to salvage freezer bags, rubber bands used to close bags of freezer burnt and desiccated veggies and even twist ties in some cases.

Before you think I'm crazy or spreading disease, I wrap all frozen stuff very carefully and then put it into the thick and expensive freezer bags. This way the bags can be reused after drying/airing out. My long sectional sofa is full of freezer bags airing out. Yes, I am a thrifty (cheap) B. The bags can last for years this way, while also better protecting your food with a double wrap. I'm very careful not to cross contaminate. I wash my hands many time while packaging meats, most especially attentive to chicken.

When was doing the freezer cleanout and found the last of the very thin pork chops that I knew I had somewhere in these tombs for dead food, I took it out of the freezer bag and placed it in the fridge to come down from solidly frozen to a point where it could be minced easily. I had bought some beautiful green beans the other day and had been anticipating making this dish that I haven't even experienced in a restaurant until today. I knew I had that chop and it was perfect for the dish once it was minced into tiny pieces. I used both this very helpful eG pictorial from member @hzrt8w and this recipe as guides.

I had neither "olive vegetable" nor "preserved vegetable" and have zero chance of finding either within walking distance with the lamented demise of S-Mart. I soldiered on bravely. I liked the idea of ginger in the dish, so grated some of my frozen stash for it and used green onion toward the end instead of shallot. I also deviated with a whole New Mexican Hatch chili that was probably nine inches long instead of the called for peppers in either of my guides. I sliced off a couple of pieces from the tip of mine because I'd never tasted these fresh and while the online experience I've had with them classifies them into mild/medium/hot, there was no indication of heat level at Harris Teeter where I picked these up for $1.29 a pound on sale. Score!! Mine had some heat, but not as much as a typical jalapeno. I figured if I put the whole long pepper in with all of it's seeds and membranes, it would bring plenty of heat to the party, and it did. My husband would have refused to eat this finished dish, but it had a very pleasant heat level to me, and he wasn't here. Chopping this pepper also left my non-knife left and ungloved hand tingling with capsaicin for hours, so mine definitely have some heat to them. That heat is just now calming down in my hand.

I used the one very thin pork chop with a nice little rim of fat around the outer edge and a little more fat near the bone. This was very easy to mince while still mostly frozen and yielded, I reckon, about 3 ounces of usable meat and fat. I had .37 pounds green beans, and this proportion was pleasing to me with all the aromatics and seasonings. 

I did not deep fry the green beans either, but stir fried in only a small amount of oil and drained them on paper when I removed them from the skillet I was cooking in. There was enough oil left to finish cooking the peppers, garlic, ginger and pork. The final dish was not very greasy at all, and I very much liked this. I will be making this again.

I have seen yard long beans on both my visits to the Indian grocer, Patel Brothers, and some of the discussion I have read on this dish turns up a lot of people who prefer it prepared with the long instead of green beans. This will happen at Chez TftC.

I could easily have nuked a portion of frozen prepared rice I had planned to make the shrimp fried rice with, but chose to use my carbs judiciously and opted for a cute, delicious little individual cherry pie I bought at Food Lion. I heated this until very hot in my Dutch oven.

Edit: does anyone here know what the preserved "vegetable" actually is before it is preserved. It seems to be a common nomenclature, but very mysterious?

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Not sure what to call this. I had half a small pork tenderloin left over from a few nights ago, which I sliced into quarter inch thick slices, pounded out into 1/8 inch thick medallions. I stir fried some peppers and onions and minced garlic in the wok until almost tender, added some sliced Shang high bok choy and stir fried a bit longer, transferred them to a bowl, quickly mixed the pork medallions up with some  Korean BBQ sauce and stir fried that up, added back vegetables, Hoisin sauce, chopped green onions and served the lot over jasmine rice. In retrospect, it was delicious, but could have used a bit more heat. If I had it to do again, I would have finely sliced half a jalapeno and added it when I first introduced the pork medallions to the heat. 

HC

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.e1db0ce01ed02f0636bcc7a41992450e.JPGIMG_0479.thumb.JPG.1ca1a8cc64214d081352f62dcf89f4ff.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

We had mustard seeds come in some topsoil we bought and they were really hard to eradicate, which we tried to do by pulling them up by the roots, cleaning, cooking and eating them. The topsoil was very good, but I just don't like mustard greens even fresh and lovely like these were. YMMV

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

A line of thunderstorms blew through last night and dropped both the temperature and humidity here so cooking is bearable.

Making polpette to serve with a marinara sauce and pasta(gluten free for John) and a salad of local products.

Also baking off a half dozen chicken drumsticks for snacking.

Still thinking about what to do for dessert...I do have some nice local white peaches so perhaps a fruit crisp.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ronnie and Chum went bullfrog hunting yesterday.  And, they were successful!  Although, I'm told that Chum is not the best frog hunter....they make her a little jumpy.  Pun intended.

IMG_3596.JPG.99d0776b563413bf059eb7d897d0f2c8.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg.eca5c6e20de0975a79b89d7464463e4d.jpg

IMG_3600.JPG.a49299e85cde6c69952905441b8b486d.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG.80baa2dda59a3ab73bc4f8576fa70bc0.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG.fa9961860492c076d8b97435af95ea2b.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

I was on my own last night. Deb was covering babysitting for a schedule conflict between her daughter and SIL. What started out as an intention to stuff a large zucchini, ended up as a meatloaf dinner, meatloaf sandwiches, meatloaf lunches for Deb to bring to work and the last of it morphed into pasta sauce for me, with the addition of a few Cubanelle peppers from the garden, and yes, it was a box white wine. I wasn't going to open a bottle of red for a solo dinner.

HC

IMG_0487.thumb.JPG.e083b56b6348e29605cfe909a1f547b1.JPGIMG_0489.thumb.JPG.1d3f285fc1cead5692b07d4d83c08a99.JPG

• Like 9

I do like frog, too. The best bullfrog I ever had was at a private buffet lunch in a hotel restaurant here in town some years ago.  It was bullfrog with tick-trefoil (desmodium). I enjoyed iit so much I nearly ate it all before remembering to take a picture.

599edb4791654_bullfrogwithtick-trefoil.thumb.jpg.6bd2f0cd999bcb327b07a3aae0914e47.jpg

Dinner tonight was much more mundane.

Spicy slow-cooked chicken legs and fresh shiitake mushrooms with garlic and whole shallots and two types of chilli, one green, one red.

Served with rice and wilted Shanghai bok choy.

dinner.thumb.jpg.b11fac922a2634017d51f6fbb47d7278.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A friend of my mom's from Wisconsin would come visit us in San Diego once a year. She enjoyed frog's legs and we would go to one of the local Anthony's Seafood restaurants (usually the one on the Embarcadero with a great view of San Diego Harbor. Sadly, this location was put out of business by the Port of San Diego recently). Anthony's was one of the few places that still served frog's legs. We kids were aghast at her choice for a main. :o But she loved them. xD

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver