• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

We had the A/C running full blast all day today. I made a small batch of potato salad while Deb had her grandson at the beach, down the street. Dinner was of the cicchetti variety, in keeping with such a hot day, starting off with a plate of seasoned tomatoes, fresh chopped basil, garlic powder, sea salt and a favorite olive oil.

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.f42f918bdd2e39c6608e53e72a1e92fa.JPG

I could have simply had another plate of those and gone to bed happy, but laid out the potato salad, cucumber salad, Korean BBQ wings (cooked outside on the grill) and we both were pretty happy with dinner.

HC

IMG_0444.thumb.JPG.a02e8b32ae7bcaff55487fe5c8ec60a1.JPGIMG_0446.thumb.JPG.68ea39dbe78b6366e24bf91be121532f.JPGIMG_0445.thumb.JPG.f90e55f2517da666073f2fcbfb41955c.JPGIMG_0447.thumb.JPG.a664fb0f375924399f02daa7394ad4b0.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 21

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

DB's w Pots looks fantastic

very Cheffy

xDxD  but thank you.  I try never to turn away a compliment. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I could have simply had another plate of those and gone to bed happy, but laid out the potato salad, cucumber salad, Korean BBQ wings (cooked outside on the grill) and we both were pretty happy with dinner.

HC

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.f90e55f2517da666073f2fcbfb41955c.JPG

Those wings sound awesome. Do you have a recipe/technique you could share?

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Those wings sound awesome. Do you have a recipe/technique you could share?

It is something I picked up from watching Korean Food made Simple with Judy Joo. She whipped this mixture up for any number of things.

I will usually make a big batch when I do whole rotisserie chicken and use the extra sauce to freeze wings. I will put 6 cut up wings in a freezer bag with 1/4 cup of this sauce and they are ready to go in just a few minutes under running water. 

These amounts are my approximation based on what I saw Judy do. I had trouble identifying gochujang in markets, as the labels vary. Now, I order a few tubs at a time from Amazon Smile and always have some on hand. As the wings finish (I find 50 minutes @ 400 F works well), brush them with a mixture of soy and gochujang, to moisten.

Korean BBQ Sauce

1 cup soy sauce

4 heaping TBS gochujang

3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated

1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and shredded

1 heaping TBS brown sugar

¼ cup bourbon or dry sherry

1 TBS toasted sesame oil

Zip this up ( I use an immersion blender)

Add 3 chopped green onions

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

IMG_1116.thumb.JPG.00ad5ce5c0ce1dcc69789d4ab74a4f00.JPG

Duck club. 

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/17/2017 at 9:52 PM, Dejah said:

@Mmmpomps: More info' on the IP Pork Belly, Please! I have a piece in the freezer (maybe should be in Freezer Challenge!:P) I've been thinking about doing siu yook in the Big Easy, but now I'd love to try in the IP.

Had plans to buy yet more plants at a lily nursery (1 hr. drive) with friends today. In the morning, I made the filling for a steak and kidney pie in the IP. It turned out beautifully.

When I got back close to supper time, I put the pie together with pie shell and puff pastry from the store. Sauteed mixed vegetables, and hubby was so happy he didn't even ask how much $ I spent!

599664399d427_SKInnerds0784.jpg.c2164b2becab443473cf9eeb4f9bc89c.jpg

5996643a79c88_SKPiePlated0783.jpg.1ad3cf76c33bca03c2c8b827c099f134.jpg

OH its very easy! I just cut it in half, popped it in the IP with Pork Belly in the pot tonite~~~
 1/2 cup apple juice or beer
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
Manual High Pressure for 1 hour

Remove and pat dry then crisp the skin in a dry cast iron pan on medium high heat.

I have been eating well. Recently, a little rack of five pork spare ribs cooked in my Rival Crock Pot with a sweet potato nuked in it's skin. The sweet potato was cut in half and mashed with a fork in its skin and I ate it with just butter and salt. Brussel sprouts accompanied this meal very well.

Tonight and last night was pastrami sandwiches with Pane di Casa Bread from Band of Bakers and Boars Head Round Pastrami bought at Harris Teeter. Sometimes with mustard, sometimes with smoked provolone also from HT. Many times, I want mayo and lettuce and tomato on a sandwich. When I have really good pastrami and cheese, not so much, or sometimes not even any condiments. This bread cheese and a little of the very flavorful pastrami is all I want. It is unbelievable to me that there can be this much fat in round. I would put that down the miracles of sou vide. The tender texture and pull-apart grain of the thin slices is also very much appreciated. Pastrami seems to be the meat that grocery delis run out of most often around here. Also I found the Pane di Casa offered in a sliced half loaf this time! Perfect for me on my own, since this delicious, but lean bread doesn't freeze well at all. Also, even with a good serrated knife, this crusty bread is difficult to slice evenly and thinly at home. The sliced bread is much more uniform and thin than I can do justice to. 

I also found the first offering of purple muscadines from Cottle Farms in Faison, NC, about 70 mile mostly south of here and a bit east. I even found some New Mexican Hatch peppers at Harris Teeter! The muscadines are good, but I don't know yet about the Hatch. They were on sale for $1.29 a pound and it will be the first time for me to taste them fresh. No indication of mild/medium/hot was made, so they are mystery peppers.

I did not expect to find the promised Hatch peppers, so that was a pleasant surprise after last week's disappointment. They promised fresh figs in their sale flyer, but when I looked everywhere, and finally engaged an employee, they had none. No apology or promise of them later or give a flip, either. It would have been the first time I'd tasted fresh figs, so this was such a big let down.

I had a sliced banana and muscadines for dessert after my pastrami and smoked provolone sandwich. Life is good, and I have enough pastrami left for another sandwich.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Decided to have pork piccata last night. Pork tenderloins have frequently been on sale of late (this week for $1.69 pp). The first of the silver queen corn finally came our way and a plate of fresh seasoned tomatoes rounded things out.

HC

IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.57882c17e4c4ddd0b58a43a9e68e4dea.JPGIMG_0452.thumb.JPG.48e6ce5bbb4981bdde568869b91001c8.JPGIMG_0453.thumb.JPG.cdbef4d317c5f852f690e19b343542a7.JPG

• Like 16

An amazing looking plate, @liuzhou,  and right up my alley. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Another Bugialli recipe, this time from his Foods of Naples:  pesce alla marinara, p 171.

Fish08202017.png

Prepared to bake.

FishBaked08202017.png

Baked.

The branzino was again from amazon.  I continue to be very pleased with their seafood.  However this branzino was a bit bigger than the last branzino, so cooking in the CSO was not an option.  (Since Cuisinart has a branzino recipe in their instruction book, one would think they'd have thought out the size of the oven a little better.)

Bugialli calls for soaking the fish in a bowl acidulated water.  Bugialli must have large bowls.  The only thing I could find to fit was my seldom used fish poacher.

Even though employment of the CSO was out -- fortuitously I have a new oven that stood yeoman duty.  As may be seen.  And the stove top of the new oven makes for prettier pictures than the old.  Note the fish is served without the tomatoes or a sauce.  Just a baguette and a little fresh garden parsley.

• Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If anyone wonders what happened to the tomatoes and fish sauce from last night's pesce alla marinara...

PastaWithFishSauceSailorsStyle.png

Pasta with fish sauce, sailors style, p 170.  I would not make this again.  As good as last night's branzino was, I found the sauce far too sweet.  In general I do not enjoy cooked tomatoes, or anything really sweet, without a balancing bitterness or acidity.  And, yes, apparently I have a gene for this.

Bugialli may be turning in his grave* but when no one was looking I poured red wine vinegar over it.  Better, but there are still leftovers.  Lemon juice might have been a further improvement but I would have had to get up off my chair.  Lots of red pepper was another possibility.

*As far as I know Bugialli is not actually dead, though he does not answer his email.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For @Keralawho has taken readers of the "India dining" thread on a fascinating trip to his birthplace for a family wedding.

Kerala chicken stew, a home style meal in one pot. It's made with mustard seeds, a rough paste of ginger, peppercorns and turmeric, a smooth paste of red onions and green chillies, a few cloves and cardamom, sliced garlic, fresh coconut milk, curry leaves, chicken on the bone, and available vegetables. Here, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and snowpeas. I took the liberty of adding a blob of gunpowder chutney.

IMG_3901.thumb.JPG.912ba8dbc7d567a4939d32adaf69a1b1.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have posted something very similar to this in the past, but hey! it's a favourite.

Pork tenderloin cubed and marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, crushed coriander seeds and salt and pepper for at least two hours. This lot got five.  Then fried in it's own oily juices.

Served with rice and a simple salad of lettuce, tomato and green onions/scallions and sea salt. And a nice, light Chilean red.

d1.thumb.jpg.baac2458aca907892e2d366f39e79979.jpg

d3.thumb.jpg.ae0b4d847db699d924a78d8258905ec3.jpg

d2.thumb.jpg.e9f18a59569134e6008f5a349df8dbd6.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was going to do an eclipse themed dinner--mezzaluna pasta with half moons of zucchini, "moons" of pork...star shaped bread etc. etc.  In the end, after canning all afternoon, I wasn't feeling super creative, so we had SV'd pork loin with mashed taters, gravy, our home canned green beans and tomatoes.

599c598c6af2c_photo311.JPG.a3c53ac2676bffa352b8446118c6777a.JPG

599c5997eab7b_photo312.JPG.5e235c71adc6afbf0b929313a3784569.JPG

599c59a128d6a_photo313.JPG.06305ccbb01ac80c2a26ee685cc187eb.JPG

599c59aa83b61_photo314.JPG.8ef30bde42ae62a9b188c6c944d53b43.JPG

• Like 13

@Shelby 

is that a Loin or a tenderloin ?

looks delicious

what were your Sv parameters ?

i like Loin rare , but w enough time in the bath to get tender.

your top pic looks perfect

then did you torch the meat for pic II ?

• Like 1