• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Is that what it's called?  :P  Been making something similar for years  but until now it has been nameless. xDxD

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Is that what it's called?  :P  Been making something similar for years  but until now it has been nameless. xDxD

I've called it that for hours. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm embarrassed to post this right after @dcarch's stunning photos :$ but here goes..... Sweet & Sour Tofu with Corn from Melissa Clark's Dinner.

IMG_5892.thumb.jpg.0b163aa82db6b647ab1760d844ea594e.jpg

My jalapeños lost the capsaicin lottery so a couple of spoons of sambal oelek helped me out.

I thought the combination of corn and tofu was curious and I'm still not sold on it.  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

So, got to use up/keep up with the invasion of the Killer Tomatoes!

Just "Wow".

Between your tomatoes and @HungryChris and @Shelby's pizzas, I'm dyin' here. :x

Well done.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tonight a repeat of the other night's grilled tuna:

Dinner08162017.png

Please pardon the old picture.  Last of the asparagus, fresh Hollandaise.

This time with bread.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday afternoon, I bought  a bunch of large, live shrimp.

Last night, I stir fried them with garlic, ginger, white chilli, Shaoxing wine and Dragon Well Tea (龙井茶  lóng jǐng chá) and served as the main component of dinner.

20170819_125442.thumb.jpg.e203f0697772cf119da73858ce3136e3.jpg

Fuchsia Dunlop has a more refined recipe for Dragon Well tea with shrimp in Land of Fish and Rice, but she uses shelled shrimp and little flavouring - certainly no chilli. Fine though her dish is, I was trying to recreate a dish from Hunan which I have eaten in restaurants many times. The Hunan dish uses freshwater shrimp (Hunan is landlocked) but I used sea shrimp from the Gulf of Tonkiin near the China-Vietnam border.

Messy finger food. Fun!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, David Ross said:

...spicy blood mary aspic to garnish a fresh oyster.

I must try this sometime!!! :)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 8/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, dcarch said:

Malabar [Spinach] cooked:)

I have not eaten it that way—only raw.

It's something I must try. 

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

31 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Maine lobsters were $4.99 pp this week and we were all in.

Lucky you!!! :)

• Like 1

And tonight.

pork.thumb.jpg.2fe97af363e633621bb2089743886a1e.jpg

Pork with fresh shiitake mushrooms, salted black beans (豆豉  dòu chǐ), garlic, chilli, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce. Finished with Chinese garlic chives (韭菜  jiǔ cài) and sesame oil.

Served with:

gq1.thumb.jpg.c9894b69828c71881456854618c7dbe7.jpg

These greens are 枸杞菜  gǒu qǐ cài, the leaves of the plant which gives us goji berries aka wolfberries - a favourite.

Rice.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.780432db016674c7ca005ffa6f79caab.JPG

Duck breast, rapini and potatoes. The duck breast and the potatoes were sous vided  before being seared. 

• Like 24

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hubby and I went out for dinner tonight. Restaurant called Wundeba.

IMG_5700.JPG.9c8ce33e759a76c3022c6a70c975be69.JPG

Pork schnitzel for me, chicken schnitzel for the hubby.

IMG_5701.JPG.fafc57d9d0b11b633fe5532998530854.JPG

Marinated pepper on the side for me.

• Like 16

Some recent meals.

Chicken and mushroom curry, mewari dal, spicy potatoes, fried rice, paratha. With a dollop of dill raita in the middle, a dollop of fresh tomato chutney, and a little lime pickle.IMG_3883.thumb.JPG.cc342274222c99be8a034c3b09a7f90e.JPG

Beef madras, potatoes and eggplant fry, dal mewari, rice, paratha. Served with white radish, carrot and lentil salad, cucumber raita and fresh green chilli chutney.IMG_3886.thumb.JPG.360a3f754007dc9649135e1dc9a41b4c.JPG

Roasted spiced pumpkin, spinach paneer, that dal again (tricked up with lots of coriander) lemon rice, paratha. With fresh tomato chutney and lime pickle.

IMG_3888.thumb.JPG.cf01781944f1c508fc52ffb49a83858e.JPG

Chicken and mushroom curry, chana dal with dill, red brussels sprouts korma, eggplant, potato and pumpkin mix, turmeric rice, paratha. Served with beetroot raita, date and tamarind chutney, and ginger pickle.IMG_3890.thumb.JPG.26462d0ea9a3909ea8e4e1593f3e3134.JPG

• Like 13

Dinner is Papa Murphy's half Hawaiian, half pepperoni pizza....simple because I'm minding my older poodle who had ACL surgery on Wednesday and spent two nights in hospital.  She's having a tough time so I have to keep watch to be able to help her with her food and water and trips outside for potty breaks.  She's on antibiotics, rimadyl, and tramadol.  

Still, she's having a hard time putting pressure on the leg and, therefore, needs help.  I moved her food and water next to her bed  which helps but she also needs assistance going outside.  

No time to futz around the kitchen to make  a dinner, just enough time to make her and her sister,'s meals.

• Like 6

I've been studying my way through Bugialli's Sardinian recipes even before I recently learned of my Sardinian heritage*.  This dish was a welcome repeat:  Melanzane in Forno.  No picture as it's been a hard day, what with the butter bomb last night and all.

Very good and very simple recipe:  eggplant, parsley, garlic, sundried tomato, olive oil.  At the table I assayed to add a little salt.  I added the salt shaker, lid, contents, and all.  This provided an unexpected savoryness unanticipated by the recipe.

*0.3% according to 23andme.com.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou