• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

IMG_0966.thumb.JPG.00aa7c1f558b00ff32f6208a95eed10d.JPG

Yet another iteration of a roasted pork sandwich. This time broccoli rabe (blanched and sautéed with garlic and hot pepper flakes), shaved pork roast and gruyere on a lightly toasted multigrain bun. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, MelissaH said:

That would not have been a possibility at my MIL's. When I was getting ready to make cookie crumbs for a lime pie (but that's another topic), she commented that she had a food processor now. She's never had one before, but yeah, that sounded better than bashing cookies in a ziplock bag. And then she pulled it out, and my heart sank. It was a Cuisinart brand FP. We took a quick look at the blade, ran the serial number, and registered her for the recalled blade replacement. And then I took a closer look at the blade, and saw cracks in it, even though it was barely ever used. So, no food processor.

How smooth do you need to take the filling, to make it pipeable without needing a gigantic hole in the bag or tip?

I got this one specifically for deviled eggs and have used it to fill large tube pasta.  I thought it would probably do OK but like I said, it only took 9 or 10 jumbo shells to fill the baking dish and in the end, I didn't want to bother with it.  I think care should be taken because too much time in the blender would make it more like pate instead of ground beef.

20170816_182917.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4

Dinner was a sandwich

SV chicken.  1.5% eq. brined. 

Dukes mayo on both sides.   One side with a fine dice of home prepared chipotle.  Lettuce and tomato for crunch and moisture on the other side. Humbolt Fog gave it a significant favor boost. 

Need to repreat.  Soon 

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

• Like 15

Last night, sashimi tuna from The Lobster Place, via amazon, lightly grilled on the Zojirushi:

Dinner08162017.png

Half* bottle of Montaud  Cotes de Provence rose.  No bread.

*Well, maybe five eighths.

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I found some nice-looking out of season asparagus today, so got some even through I usually don't buy Peruvian asparagus. These were medium-thick stems and tasted really good. Well the second batch I made did, because I couldn't bring myself to even taste the first one I ruined. I had already nuked a nice ear of butter and sugar corn so I decided to use the same method in the same covered casserole to do the asparagus in the microwave too. I usually boil or steam.

Joy of Cooking is usually spot on with microwave directions so I followed their advice to use 2 T of water for 1 pound for 4-9 minutes. I only had a half pound in there, but still used the full 2 T water and set the nuker for 8 minutes. at the end of the time all the water had evaporated and my beautiful asparagus was pathetic and shriveled. So I boiled a cup and half of water in the microwave and used a cup up it to wash out the French white dish after discarded the first batch and used a half cup to cook the second batch for 4 minutes. This worked perfectly and the result was very good with butter and lemon wedges.

Perhaps the Peruvian asparagus beds are maturing. The is a whole thread, I think, on thick or thin asparagus preference, but the only thin ones I ever see are from Peru and were very fibrous all the way up the stalks. 

For protein I used part of the medium shrimp I bought today for just $4.50 a pound frozen and on sale at Food Lion. I also tossed in the last five Argentine Red Shrimp. These were boiled up with salt and Old Bay for peel and eat for two minutes. Even though the red shrimp was much larger, I cooked them all the same time because I had read how easy it is to overcook reds. Both turned out perfect. It was interesting to eat the two side by side. The reds are a pain to peel and clean (nasty sand veins) but they do indeed taste noticeably like lobster and the texture is reminiscent of it too. I figured I'd had quite enough butter, so I just ate the shrimp with more lemon wedges. The reds I ate plain to enjoy their sweet taste. It has been several years since I found any, and no telling when I will run across them again. If you see some, and are not afraid of peeling and cleaning shrimp, they are certainly worth picking up.

Dessert was a cute little 4 oz. individual cherry pie. Food Lion has been carrying them. They come in many varieties, but cherry is the only one I've tried. They are made in Marysville, PA by Specialty Bakers. I heated it in the Dutch oven while I was eating the shrimp and by the time I went to retrieve it the filling was slowly bubbling. Very good if you want an individual dessert. I will probably try the lemon one next time I go back to Food Lion.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Joy of Cooking is usually spot on with microwave directions so I followed their advice to use 2 T of water for 1 pound for 4-9 minutes. I only had a half pound in there, but still used the full 2 T water and set the nuker for 8 minutes.

My Joy says merely  "Our experience with microwave has followed a familiar contemporary pattern:  inadequate response to great expectations."

"So, all things considered -- and at the risk of being put down as unadventurous or just plain not with it -- we still prefer conventional techniques over those involved with microwave cookery.  We find them less demanding, more flexible, and productive of more nutritious and appealing food."

I don't recall seeing microwave directions for anything.

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker,

My copy of Joy is copyright dated many times, but the last date is 1997. I mean there are about 20 copyright dates. I've had good luck with many of their microwave reccos. In fact it became a habit to nuke corn on the cob when I started cooking for fewer people just because of their advice. I was trying to save a dirty pot washup, but I'm going back to my boil or steam method from now on. My version of Joy has microwave directions for many vegetables, and I've never gone wrong with it before. I don't like broccoli nuked, and always do it in plenty of boiling water as per Marcella. I don't blame Joy for my asparagus fail. It's possible I set the lid of the casserole dish slightly askew, which would have allowed the steam to escape. I can't recall microwave instructions for anything else but veggies in my book.

It was sad to see that much asparagus ruined. It's also sad to me to see a couple or three spears served at obscenely expensive restaurants as a garnish. I would want more. Much more.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Two dinners.

The night before last, I took some duck meat from the freezer and slow cooked it with ginger, garlic, onion, shiitake mushrooms, chilli and dried tangerine peel. Finished with green onions.

Served with stir-fried amaranth with garlic (which turned pink from the amaranth juices) and rice.

dinner.thumb.jpg.6963933e4bb613c0db49e8d852ff7661.jpg

Tonight Poached a whole organic chicken, then jointed it.

20170817_205931.thumb.jpg.2a8ef7a44dc091e10534f16d631cd279.jpg

Ate half with more shiitake and poached garlic, asparagus and rice. With a Thai ginger sauce (bottled).

20170817_210342.thumb.jpg.aa77496fcf2e281223c5e1fa73dafeda.jpg

Other half of the bird will be lunch tomorrow.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

from my last batch of chanterelles I made some terrines, small portions which freeze well. my lemon cucumber in the garden had 1! fruit, not much to do with that. so I served it with the terrine and some apricot chutney

IMG_0413.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Shrimps in a blush sauce with roasted cauliflower

0025.thumb.jpg.73d746f660c8abbe91c48b9d62daadd8.jpg

Pork tenderloin with garlic and fennel pollen and roasted root veg and grape/sausage/shredded sprouts ala Deep Run Roots

0085.thumb.jpg.3725aa95b6de17a6dbcb04ef85b0bc6f.jpg

Scallops over corn/chorizo/pimenton hash and maple sprouts

0235.thumb.jpg.24a54e1a207d05be8a5703ab3a1694dd.jpg

• Like 20

Dinner tonight is a shrimp Louie made with Oregon tiny shrimp, tomato, iceberg lettuce, hard boiled egg,and 1000 island dressing

and maybe a breadstick.  After my pre-dinner wine.

• Like 6

@Mmmpomps: More info' on the IP Pork Belly, Please! I have a piece in the freezer (maybe should be in Freezer Challenge!:P) I've been thinking about doing siu yook in the Big Easy, but now I'd love to try in the IP.

Had plans to buy yet more plants at a lily nursery (1 hr. drive) with friends today. In the morning, I made the filling for a steak and kidney pie in the IP. It turned out beautifully.

When I got back close to supper time, I put the pie together with pie shell and puff pastry from the store. Sauteed mixed vegetables, and hubby was so happy he didn't even ask how much $ I spent!

599664399d427_SKInnerds0784.jpg.c2164b2becab443473cf9eeb4f9bc89c.jpg

5996643a79c88_SKPiePlated0783.jpg.1ad3cf76c33bca03c2c8b827c099f134.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My current project is to recreate the unavailable Stouffer's spinach soufflé.  Of course as we all know Stouffer's spinach soufflé is not really a soufflé.  It is more like a timbale.  Tonight I made the Joy of Cooking spinach timbale recipe:

SpinachTimbale08182017.png

This is more custard than spinach.  Not quite the result I'm after.  Good nonetheless.

T-bone08182017.png

Served with T-bone steak.  Not my favorite cut of beef but it was on sale and it got the job done.  Boursin and the first baguette from my new oven.

• Like 14

I took another shot at pizza, this time aiming for a thin crust. This was, by far, the best one in the new oven. The next morning, we had the last 2 pieces for breakfast, the clear sign of a winning effort. Peppers from the garden (green bells, for those who care) loads of mozzarella and fresh basil,  pepperoni,  plenty of garlic and some leftover sauce that Deb had made for her grandson.

HC

IMG_0412.thumb.JPG.c16bd0bc4a7991083392b0319c44211a.JPGIMG_0411.thumb.JPG.b0865f4ac7f94b86497f72051c8743ca.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 19

@gfweb  Your shrimp and pasta up there is calling out to me.  Blush sauce=an alfredo type with a bit of tomato?

@HungryChris  Pizza looks perfect!  Twas pizza night for us too!

Caprese salad (don't ask me why I keep putting eggs in the middle....I guess it's like the mom on My Big Fat Greek Wedding putting a potted flower in the middle of the bundt cake hole)

5996e934a5594_photo304.JPG.db44dec35b8aa51633175613fec49285.JPG

And venison and pepperoni pizza. Two green bell peppers were sacrificed.

5996e93e53419_photo305.JPG.87743ab612db04dc625c8a3b3bfa0e7a.JPG

• Like 13

@Shelby Blush sauce (because its a little reddish) is seeded and halved cherry tomatoes sauteed in hot oil till mushy and a little browned, add garlic, heavy cream a moment later and cook a bit,  then finish with a hand full of grated parm. basil, s/p.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4