• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0893.thumb.JPG.e458fdfd717b99d51854a1a8c4675831.JPG

Yes I could have and perhaps I should have done something to take away from the sheer dullness of this photograph.  But what I was craving tonight was some pork.  Simple, roasted pork butt.   No condiments, not even butter on the bun. I enjoyed every single bite!   It was juicy, a little bit fatty and straight out of the oven (Cuisinart steam oven). 

Somehow I had forgotten you had a CSO at home!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Posted a couple of meals in the Instant Pot thread...now I'm wondering if we are supposed to just keep text on that thread and continue to post pictures here?

Don't think so. I think it's a toss of the coin for each of us whether we post here or in the Instant Pot Thread  or even link the two! 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

I'm wondering if we are supposed to just keep text on that thread and continue to post pictures here?

I don't think there are any rules in that regard. Do as you please.

That said, not being an Instant Pot owning person, I don't visit that thread.  You could post in both.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Somehow I had forgotten you had a CSO at home!

Don't feel too bad. Most days I forget I have it too!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner was not as planned.

Sashimi tuna arrived yesterday as scheduled via Amazon Fresh for making Bugialli's Sardinian Tonno all'Agro, from Foods of Sicily & Sardinia and The Smaller Islands, p 169.

Howe'er  I was awakened at the crack of dawn -- well, OK, 9:00 am -- by the landlord's maintenance people who arrived to install a new stove.  I had mentioned to the superintendent that my oven wasn't getting hot enough.  That was a few weeks ago, and I assumed he had forgotten.  I was wrong.

This would have been lovely but I had gone to bed at 4:30, after a long night of World of Warcraft.  After thirty seven years a brand new stove is appreciated.  Truly.  Don't misunderstand me.  However the Tonno all'Agro didn't happen.

Dinner was a can of Progresso black bean soup with a dash of Aleppo pepper, with sour cream.  And good it was.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

It's still too hot for this kind of dinner, really, but it's what I woke up wanting this morning. Had to wait till evening.

dinner.thumb.jpg.8e78813a53c5736729f6060db34f8457.jpg

Steak and kidney pie with simple fried okra and new potatoes.

The steak and kidney mix contains onion, celery , carrot and a large white chilli pepper. This was started off in a wok before being transferred to the pie dish and into the oven with its lid. The wok was deglazed with red wine to make a gravy - added after the pics were taken.

okra.jpg

meat.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/2/2017 at 8:49 PM, ChocoMom said:

The butcher tries to pack all the similar items together in cardboard boxes, and has them all rock-solid frozen and ready when I come to pick it up. Once I go through each box, and have an idea where everything is, I spend the next 3 hours driving home and mentally dividing up the contents based on customer orders.  I just fill in the sales orders with the weights and costs, then have the customers come and pick up their orders. If the timing is right and the season has been good, I send them off with fresh veggies from the garden to toss in with their roast. =) 

Andrea, where do you live that it takes a 3-hour drive to the butcher's? It is really nice that you raise your meat.

One of my favorite spaghetti recipes. Sauce of mushrooms, olive oil, onions, bit of garlic processed with ricotta in a food processor. Throw back in the pan, add cooked pasta, some sauteed mushrooms for texture and some Italian dried ham. This stuff is good. 

2017-08-14 17.43.10.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

After a week away, it's wonderful to be back in my own kitchen cooking a simple Indian meal.

Spicy potatoes, mixed dal, turmeric rice and paratha, served with a cucumber raita, fresh coriander chutney and mango chutney. 

IMG_3881.thumb.JPG.5342781438514117f5546acc950d7a3e.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

IMG_0903.thumb.JPG.558c422ffa1d920daac64a32a4a51009.JPG

Pork tartine with lingonberry sauce.  Still just a pork sandwich but probably prettier than yesterday.  They each have their place. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

@chromedome and @Norm Matthews, we had the same discussion with my MIL. Our conclusion was that the ground beef was too lumpy to pipe well. Thus, a spoon it had to be.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've only piped cheese filling or seafood mousse into shells. I've piped ground beef into ravioli, but after I cook it I pulse it in the food processor to make it smoother. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've only piped cheese filling or seafood mousse into shells. I've piped ground beef into ravioli, but after I cook it I pulse it in the food processor to make it smoother. 

So that's why I don't like the texture of all the meat stuffed ravioli I've tried. :) Spinach and ricotta ravioli is my favorite.

We have a couple of Salvadoran restos here that offer some kind of meat paste in their pupusas. I can't bring myself to order meat paste in anything. It seems to invoke a deep distrust in me. I really like the cheese and loroco ones available at El Custcatleco

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This would have been lovely but I had gone to bed at 4:30, after a long night of World of Warcraft.  After thirty seven years a brand new stove is appreciated. 

Kind of knew you were a gamer.

How's the stove?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Kind of knew you were a gamer.

How's the stove?

Well, it works well for hollandaise.  Though it will be until tomorrow before I get the dinner pictures up.

This is the model:

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/JBS60DKWW

The new stove is not perfectly level, but it is much, much more level than the old stove it replaces.  The oven goes as low as 170 deg F which I used to warm tonight's oversized dinner plate that does not fit in the CSO.  And if I am not mistaken the oven is rather larger than the oven in the old stove.  The test will come when I bake bread.

• Like 5

Posole Verde

Seasoned and fried pork onions garlic and Tomatillo's, Thia pepper /  added Budwiser/stock and h20/ braised added radish leaf

Did Pozole soak over night in water/ Pressure cooked in stock 30 mins @ 15 PSI  perfect  added to Posole

36148981850_6a8039bfd3_o.thumb.jpg.55829bc736c8240603a7efa942b8d58f.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 13

Its good to have Morels

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

That would not have been a possibility at my MIL's. When I was getting ready to make cookie crumbs for a lime pie (but that's another topic), she commented that she had a food processor now. She's never had one before, but yeah, that sounded better than bashing cookies in a ziplock bag. And then she pulled it out, and my heart sank. It was a Cuisinart brand FP. We took a quick look at the blade, ran the serial number, and registered her for the recalled blade replacement. And then I took a closer look at the blade, and saw cracks in it, even though it was barely ever used. So, no food processor.

How smooth do you need to take the filling, to make it pipeable without needing a gigantic hole in the bag or tip?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2