• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

IMG_0682.thumb.JPG.99743bf48b83f61700cb9a4d61655eec.JPG

Other than orzo I am not huge fan of short pasta. This cavatelli is tolerable, however, I cooked far too much of it and left at least half on my plate. I found a few, and I mean a very few, tiny shrimp in the freezer and tossed them into some more of the roasted tomato sauce.  I really must freeze the rest of it before I OD.  But this and a glass of red wine (vintage cask!) suited me just fine for this evening. 

(After many weeks of eating dinner with Kerry on Manitoulin, it seems strange to see her having something totally different from my meal!).  

• Like 22

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Captain said:

The crackling came up a treat.

Yep.  I'll settle for just the crackling, please.  Fantastic looking piece of meat. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On July 30, 2017 at 7:28 PM, ChocoMom said:

Not terribly pretty like everything else here, but, I had several requests for it. Our daughter-in-law is over-due with their 3rd baby--- and the other two kids wanted 'Grammie's sloppy joe'.  Its a bit of work tp prepare, which the expectant mom is totally not up to.  So, since I was invited to attend and assist in the home-birth....I thought I'd make a small vat of sloppy joe, freeze some, and take it with me when the blessed event occurs. :D

IMG_1892-3.JPG

Just a joyful update.....the event for which I prepared the above food  occurred around 1:40am today. :D  Miss Tilly weighed in at 8# 13oz; 21 inches. She is absolutely delightful and a no-fuss kind of girl! It was truly an amazing blessing to be present for, and assist in the birth of my 4th grandchild.    The exhausted, albeit thrilled parents are giddy over how many meals they've received. A few quarts of the beef-barley soup over on the preservation thread also went to them, so as not to use up more freezer space. 

• Like 16

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, ChocoMom said:

Just a joyful update.....the event for which I prepared the above food  occurred around 1:40am today. :D  Miss Tilly weighed in at 8# 13oz; 21 inches. She is absolutely delightful and a no-fuss kind of girl! It was truly an amazing blessing to be present for, and assist in the birth of my 4th grandchild.    The exhausted, albeit thrilled parents are giddy over how many meals they've received. A few quarts of the beef-barley soup over on the preservation thread also went to them, so as not to use up more freezer space. 

Congratulations!!!!  Toasting you with a glass of wine :)

I have been craving sloppy joes for weeks....Ronnie doesn't share the same craving so I haven't made them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Congratulations!!!!  Toasting you with a glass of wine :)

I have been craving sloppy joes for weeks....Ronnie doesn't share the same craving so I haven't made them. 

I've been craving grandchildren. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Just a joyful update.....the event for which I prepared the above food  occurred around 1:40am today. :D  Miss Tilly weighed in at 8# 13oz; 21 inches. 

Wonderful! My GF's younger cousin just gave birth to a slightly premature daughter (3 lbs, 10 ounces at birth, now up to 4 lbs 2 oz at a week old). My nephew and his wife are expecting their first on Wednesday (good luck with that!), and GF's foster daughter (due in November) and daughter (due in March) are each about to give us a second grandbaby. 

It's a good year. :)

• Like 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

(After many weeks of eating dinner with Kerry on Manitoulin, it seems strange to see her having something totally different from my meal!).  

@Anna N conspire ahead with Kerry, make the same thing, show us the results!  Show us your kids and kittens.

Still on the peanuts course down here.  Forgot what I was making and rather more rhum in the mai tai than called for.  I measured accurately, just wrong.  Oh well.  Eventually dinner should be ricotta ravioli with tomato sauce.  Maybe an insalata of tomatoes, torn basil and cucumber if I get that far.

Lunch was tomatoes and Hellman's.  Yes, it is that time of year.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had Quaker Oats Squares. By the handful, from the box. With red wine. Also from a box (though I did use a wineglass). This was all of which I was capable after a FULL work day plus grocery shopping after work.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, kayb said:

I had Quaker Oats Squares. By the handful, from the box. With red wine. Also from a box (though I did use a wineglass). This was all of which I was capable after a FULL work day plus grocery shopping after work.

@kayb    Sounds like a winner!   I make this confession....Hubby took the kids camping over the weekend.   No one to see me eat this, but I had Jiffy Pop, a Redbull, and dark chocolate gelato for dessert.  

Sometimes, ya just do what ya gotta do. :D

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

On 08/08/2017 at 8:02 AM, rotuts said:

@Captain 

nice

if you have the time

what is your BBQ isn set up ?

you are rotating a pork loin on a BBQ set up 

charcoal fired ?

what's in the back on the first pic ?

G"Day @rotuts This is my 40kg Spit.  It's a little big for this cut of Pork shoulder. I could probably fit six of them on this.  I would love a smaller rotisserie but purchasing more BBq's is a delicate acquisition if you get my drift.   I'm using Robot Turds charcoal for this cook.

• Like 2

IMG_0724.thumb.JPG.f3667add4a43c78d0ce7c5d2ebe8d1bf.JPG

The devil made me do it.  Chinese delivery. From left to right:

Beef with broccoli

Chicken in orange peel sauce

Crispy chicken wings

Vegetarian eggroll 

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

I had SunCrest Farms country ham on biscuits tonight with seedless Concord grapes. I wondered why the ham was so much better with the good funky aged full flavor it lacked the last time I had it. Finally, I decided that when I was cooking for my husband, I was soaking to the ham in water to remove some of the salt because of his high blood pressure. Well, duh! That was taking flavor as well as salt out. So I have to take back my comment about SunCrest not being very good. It's still not the best, but it's just fine if you don't wash all the flavor out.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I had SunCrest Farms country ham on biscuits tonight with seedless Concord grapes. I wondered why the ham was so much better with the good funky aged full flavor it lacked the last time I had it. Finally, I decided that when I was cooking for my husband, I was soaking to the ham in water to remove some of the salt because of his high blood pressure. Well, duh! That was taking flavor as well as salt out. So I have to take back my comment about SunCrest not being very good. It's still not the best, but it's just fine if you don't wash all the flavor out.

The grape plants I put in last spring were Concord seedless.  Naively I assumed they would taste the same as Concord.  The good news, I suppose, is that the birds will undoubtedly get them all.

• Like 5

Tonight, I deferred to my adopted homeland and went Chinese.

20170809_193509.thumb.jpg.4005b26810d0ce6ca9d42ab007a20d4f.jpg

Stir fried beef with garlic, ginger, osmanthus wine, soy sauce, and finished with sesame oil and Chinese chives.

20170809_193458.thumb.jpg.fde47625c6bc364a80e35d4fa3b0b72d.jpg

Served with wilted celtuce tops. 油麦菜. I intended to finish these with some oyster sauce, but found I didn't have any. O.o

20170809_193504.thumb.jpg.9dc7274cb7d21b4c02643411b9bc8a60.jpg

And rice, of course.

20170809_193453.thumb.jpg.4c411da07e62f123ec8f8b2f15bcc189.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 18

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight, I paid deference to my adopted homeland and went Chinese.

20170809_193509.thumb.jpg.4005b26810d0ce6ca9d42ab007a20d4f.jpg

Stir fried beef with garlic, ginger, osmanthus wine, soy sauce, and finished with sesame oil and Chinese chives.

20170809_193458.thumb.jpg.fde47625c6bc364a80e35d4fa3b0b72d.jpg

Served with wilted celtuce tops. 油麦菜. I intended to finish these with some oyster sauce, but found I didn't have any. O.o

20170809_193504.thumb.jpg.9dc7274cb7d21b4c02643411b9bc8a60.jpg

And rice, of course.

20170809_193453.thumb.jpg.4c411da07e62f123ec8f8b2f15bcc189.jpg

My dinner looked like yours, minus the stir fried beef:  go of rice with greens.

• Like 1

IMG_0746.thumb.JPG.58bb60bf67fa72cd06ad96b435c0b038.JPG

"From Here to Eternity" -- Chinese takeout for singletons. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog