• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Odd sort of day. I hate to wait all day for a workman to come up to do some essential maintenance. I only knew he would arrive sometime today. Yes, they work Sundays - we are atheists here, don't you know? But I knew he wouldn't come before 8:30 - 9:00, so I nipped out for breakfast.

Back before 8:30 (People get up early here. Breakfast starts around 6 am.) and then waited all morning. Then I knew he wouldn't come between 12:00 noon and 2:30 pm. Siesta culture. So I nipped for for some noodles for lunch.

I then thought about dinner, as you do, but he was due to be doing the work in the kitchen, so I didn't wanted to start preparing, then have him turn up and I would have to put everything away again.

3:30 pm he turned up, saw what I wanted doing (I had already told him on the phone) and he said he would be back soon with some tools. I don't get it. Chinese workmen, electricians, plumbers etc never bring tools with them, arrive and say I'll go get my tools.

So he did, then he had to go again to buy parts. The result was it was nearly 6 pm when he finished and I'd done no shopping or preparation for dinner. So, the freezer bailed me out again.

Took some wild prawns which I had frozen and curried them. Served with a side of okra which I forgot to photograph but remembered to eat. The blue patch in the images is light coming from my computer monitor. It isn't poisonous.

p1.thumb.jpg.601ffba18a87b8bf52ceb12e6c2b12ad.jpg

p2.thumb.jpg.b532b9d7f02211bf7fe43590269f4959.jpg

Famous last words

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Johnnybird was meeting friends up at Bethel Woods for the Santana concert but it a truism around here that he can't drive more than 1/2 hour before he asks "What is there to eat?"...and he might have just finished a full dinner.

@Kim Shook potato salad with local yellow beans, minced shallot, minced scallions and a homemade Italian vinaigrette.  This is his favorite thing for the summer.

Turkey wraps with avocado cream(ok...mashed avocado, a bit of celery salt and a bit of mayo), meatloaf sandwiches on marbled rye and grapes to nosh on.

I made myself the potato salad I grew up with - potatoes, drained pickle relish, minced shallot, minced scallions, some celery salt and Miracle Whip along with a dash of my great grandmothers cooked dressing.  Heated up some of the meatloaf and drizzled with a ketchup/barbeque sauce and some long, slow cooked local yellow beans with garlic and butter.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Kim, Kim, Kim,----WoW! Wow! Wow!!!

------------------------------------

So, what to do with all the squashes from you garden? You friends will only take some of your squashes if you take some of their squashes.

I guess I will just have to cook them.

dcarch

59874055e7bdf_Steakzucchinispaghetti.thumb.jpg.416cd4db9d24db85743e711bf74a69c5.jpg59874057e0f81_Steakzucchinispaghetti2.thumb.jpg.3aec7f0ffd3058ff5071544765e324a5.jpg59874059b0845_pulledporksquashsnowpeas.thumb.JPG.0788a72969a2a21e1d3c32127499998d.JPG5987405cd4cba_Pulledporksquashsnowpeas2.thumb.jpg.96ae4ebf8f5872e4efb2a5870485fd1e.jpg

• Like 16

598775795aa59_dinner0806.jpg.d8f61a68a345d54d5c97175f845e0c2f.jpg

Pork steaks cooked sous vide in Deep Run Roots Blue Q sauce and finished off in the broiler, with potato salad, purple hulled peas with tomato relish, and yellow summer squash sauteed with onions. And a BIG homemade roll, made that way on purpose for sandwich buns later in the week. 

More details on the pork steak on the sous vide thread when I get around to putting them there.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, ninagluck said:

I went to the bavarian woods to escape the heat in Vienna. but before again, very simple dinner: feta creme, roasted radishes, butterleek, poppy seeds, sorrel

IMG_0326.JPG

Looks delicious.  How do you make feta cream?

4 hours ago, ninagluck said:

I went to the bavarian woods to escape the heat in Vienna. but before again, very simple dinner: feta creme, roasted radishes, butterleek, poppy seeds, sorrel

My question is also about feta creme but also about butterleek.  Your meal looks amazing. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bought a cooked small lobster at the supermarket, took it home and picked it, fresh whole wheat Portuguese roll. Had a small avocado ripe in the fridge...lobster/avocado roll. Hubby going on a business trip so I only had to feed myself. Also had a glass of Knudsen's veg juice (my fav, it actually has some texture) w/a squirt of sriracha. There may be a pint of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Last night's dinner was kind of a weird combination, but I has some tomatoes that needed to be used ASAP. I made a pico de gayo with the tomatoes, a small jalapeno, white onion, and I even had some fresh cilantro. I also made some cheese dip from melted white American thinned with the juices from the pico that drained off after salting it. These were eaten with white corn tortilla chips warmed in the Dutch oven. Then I had a couple of pieces of fried chicken from a bucket I picked up from the Harris Teeter along with a buttermilk biscuit also from the deli. The biscuits are made with palm oil instead of shortening or margarine and are very good warmed in the Dutch oven and topped with honey. Dessert was seedless Concord grapes, which are not nearly as good to me as the regular Concords I thought I was buying.

Tonight was more of the chicken, another biscuit with honey, baby lima beans and an iceberg, shredded carrot, bell pepper and tomato salad with lemon tahini dressing.

I think I am going to try freezing the rest of the chicken for later. They do it with TV dinners, and while they aren't great, they're quite edible.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Last night's steak was so thick, neither of us could finish it so I made cheesesteak sandwiches with the leftovers and a provolone sauce and a spicy mayo. we couldn't finish the sandwiches either.  Now to figure out what to do with leftover cheesesteak filling. LOL

20170806_180636.jpg

20170806_180802 2.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

Triple Corn Delight

Amy's Gold / White Cadillac / Sweet Bi

Braised Beef in Lucky Bucky Stout with onions tomato/ thyme and Rosemary

Roast pre seasoned w/ Lindberg -Snider Porterhouse roast seasoning and French's Worcestershire and seared  ( Killer combo!!   )

Killer garden Pototoes

36414792945_c6a7734f83_o.thumb.jpg.4853f4a5138d5674ddd9c61bea712466.jpg

• Like 17

Its good to have Morels

IMG_0649.thumb.JPG.a6d365f895606264481cff400250c85c.JPG

After a long drive home from Manitoulin Island I was happy to be able to put together a quick but satisfying meal.   The last of the cooked rib cap and a few Campari tomatoes came down with me. I added a slice of frozen bread, toasted and slathered with a mix of mayo and chipotle sauce (no soft butter in the house). I also had a cocktail (Maximillan's Affair) which traveled down with me in a bottle. I had to drink it without ice because my icemaker refuses to return to duty after being turned off for almost 40 days.  

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/5/2017 at 11:33 PM, Kim Shook said:

The meats:

20170708_210203.jpg.2c0f7d028b228ccbe5d9ac2c46a3e229.jpg

Mortadella, Fromani Soppressata, Framani Toscano, Creminelli Fennel Salame, Creminielli Calabrese Salame, and Edwards country ham.

Here's a link to a video about Edwards country ham. I'm really interested in that since I know my mama's family comes from Virginia and her maiden name was Edwards. I guess there's really no way of knowing if I have a link to the ham-making family, since I was ordered to be cut off from them when I was orphaned.

I picked up the only country ham available at Food Lion the other day. It's SunCrest brand, and not very good at all. *Sigh* I used to be able to get Stradler's at Food Lion, and that was very good indeed. SunCrest is incorporated in Elon, NC, but they still are not very good at all. I should look around at Harris Teeter to see if they have something better in the country ham department 

on offer next time. 

Gorgeous meals, as usual, @Kim Shook!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Pasta duo.  Pesto with green beans and potatoes.  Red sauce with sausage and basil.

Who would've thought of putting two different pasta sauces on the same plate? Not me until you showed me it could be done!xD  There is a reason I'm still here  after all these years.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

36423885105_807fce3f6f.jpg

Pasta duo.  Pesto with green beans and potatoes.  Red sauce with sausage and basil.

Same pasta for both because I'm lazy!

This looks awesome.

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Who would've thought of putting two different pasta sauces on the same plate? Not me until you showed me it could be done!xD  There is a reason I'm still here  after all these years.

Somewhere, sometime in my life I had pasta 3 ways--it was a bolognese, a pesto and a clam sauce--3 different piles of pasta, 3 different sauces all on the same plate.  I loved it.  I replicated it on my birthday a few years ago--it wasn't as good but that may have been because it was a lot of work and a lot of dishes to do on ones birthday lol.

Last night -Cocktail Tomatoes with Brown Butter Scallops from Deep Run Roots

Mine is over grits

59886a28f1eb7_photo290.JPG.3ee37a05404de61138edd5d147504e6e.JPG

Ronnie's is over both rice and grits --he doesn't care for grits, but wanted to try them --he didn't hate it.  

59886a956a1ba_photo289.JPG.26faf39aa457d79e77e0ea3b4fd88c3b.JPG

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Here's a link to a video about Edwards country ham. I'm really interested in that since I know my mama's family comes from Virginia and her maiden name was Edwards. I guess there's really no way of knowing if I have a link to the ham-making family, since I was ordered to be cut off from them when I was orphaned.

I picked up the only country ham available at Food Lion the other day. It's SunCrest brand, and not very good at all. *Sigh* I used to be able to get Stradler's at Food Lion, and that was very good indeed. SunCrest is incorporated in Elon, NC, but they still are not very good at all. I should look around at Harris Teeter to see if they have something better in the country ham department 

on offer next time. 

Gorgeous meals, as usual, @Kim Shook!

FWIW, you can order Broadbent's Country Ham here. I like the breakfast steaks, as the dinner steaks are massive. This is one of the best country hams I've found.

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

This looks awesome.

Somewhere, sometime in my life I had pasta 3 ways--it was a bolognese, a pesto and a clam sauce--3 different piles of pasta, 3 different sauces all on the same plate.  I loved it.  I replicated it on my birthday a few years ago--it wasn't as good but that may have been because it was a lot of work and a lot of dishes to do on ones birthday lol.

Last night -Cocktail Tomatoes with Brown Butter Scallops from Deep Run Roots

Mine is over grits

59886a28f1eb7_photo290.JPG.3ee37a05404de61138edd5d147504e6e.JPG

Ronnie's is over both rice and grits --he doesn't care for grits, but wanted to try them --he didn't hate it.  

59886a956a1ba_photo289.JPG.26faf39aa457d79e77e0ea3b4fd88c3b.JPG

How'd you like the cocktail tomatoes? Mine were ... OK. I didn't love them, and I expected to.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

FWIW, you can order Broadbent's Country Ham here. I like the breakfast steaks, as the dinner steaks are massive. This is one of the best country hams I've found.

How'd you like the cocktail tomatoes? Mine were ... OK. I didn't love them, and I expected to.

Me neither :(   Here is my review

20 minutes ago, Shelby said:

What if you just call it polenta?

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thank you @ninagluck.

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

...Now to figure out what to do with leftover cheesesteak filling. LOL

It would probably make a good filling for an omelette. :)

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver