• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@ChocoMom  

very interesting.   how do you wrap the beef ?  vacuum seal ? or butcher paper. ?

When I remember to specify, the pricier cuts-like steaks- will be vacuum packed- 2 per package. I usually have them cut the steaks 1/2" thick.    The roasts, soup bones, stew meat, organ meat, and short ribs- are double wrapped in butcher paper, then labeled with the weight and cut.   The ground beef, ground chuck and ground round are all packaged in 1 lb thick, plastic bags.  The ground beef doesn't have the weight listed, but the chuck and round do.  

The butcher tries to pack all the similar items together in cardboard boxes, and has them all rock-solid frozen and ready when I come to pick it up. Once I go through each box, and have an idea where everything is, I spend the next 3 hours driving home and mentally dividing up the contents based on customer orders.  I just fill in the sales orders with the weights and costs, then have the customers come and pick up their orders. If the timing is right and the season has been good, I send them off with fresh veggies from the garden to toss in with their roast. =) 

• Like 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

another summerdish with very little cooking: braised leeks, vinaigrette with pomegranate balsamico, hazelnut oil, shallots and eggs mimosa

Wow.  My kind of dish  end it does look beautiful.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@lindag...Commerical Freezer.    When we moved up here, the local school was selling their freezer and getting a new one.  (All it needed was a freon charge.)  We bought the old one  (dirt cheap), anticipating we'd need it once we got started with bison or grass fed beef.  Opting for the beef cattle, we usually do two head at a time.  I sell 50-60% of the beef, and keep the rest for us. And, with the meat chickens and turkeys I raise and butcher, we keep it pretty full.   

Really interesting...how big is your freezer compared to the average home freezer?

Nuf said

Details; garlic, shallots, shrimp shell reduction, fresh squeeze of orange with zest.  The bread was a roasted garlic loaf toasted in olive oil.  The combination dynamite.  Well maybe the broth soak bread...buttons pushed 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15

Wild shrimp in a broth made from shrimp and lobster shells which were lurking in the freezer. With shallots, baby bok choy and chilli flakes.

soup.thumb.jpg.ccd437da7d336edfefda65a74808d9f9.jpg

Then:

I had fancy plans for this turbot, but by the time I had filleted it and dealt with some other stuff, I was too tired, so here it is in all its simplicity, fried and served with new potatoes and steamed asparagus. This is half of it. It was pleasant enough to go back for seconds which were actually bigger than firsts!

turbot.thumb.jpg.467189379275769cc90fa3bba1c58b55.jpg.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thirsty Thursday BBQ Cheese steak.

Flank steak, Mushrooms, capsicum & Onions.  A mix of Provolone, Cheddar & little Mozzarella cheese.

IMG_20170803_185130.thumb.jpg.c2b5edd11610a4fff2ebd7d2d0a64bc1.jpg

We all liked them.  Someone did whinge that the mustard was a little hot. ¬¬

IMG_20170803_195414.thumb.jpg.7e24c0da93d3ab07effadb497fe5a4d0.jpg

• Like 15

Cooked a rib cap ala Paul Bacino. SV @ 140 for 2-3 hrs given my time frame.   Passed on the sear since I was afraid of over cook it .   Served with the bag juices which I should have strained and a baked potato 

The meat was very tender and fat soft.  A sear would have been nice 

image.jpeg

• Like 12

Pepper steak on jasmine rice. I followed the recipe faithfully, but could not resist adding a bit of gochujang  as the sauce was being thickened, at the end of the process. I am convinced that it was the right move.

HC

IMG_0318.thumb.JPG.98b38b740c0ee55248765f995acb288f.JPGIMG_0320.thumb.JPG.cccc1b2abb10195140b92a16c068f18f.JPG

• Like 10

Been wanting fried shrimp for a while.  I didn't want a beer batter and I forgot, again, that I'm out of panko.  So, I crunched up some Rice Chex (which I would normally never have, but had leftover from making Chex mix for Christmas).  Very crisp and good.  Even still crisp this morning.

Tuna pasta salad

59847d9bd42b2_photo276.JPG.d680430782212aa29f30f3cd632b80a4.JPG

Fried up some zucchini, too

59847da7421a8_photo277.JPG.6465ba481a36919eece1bbbe082023fa.JPG

Don't make fun of my corn lol.  It tasted good.

59847dad2a550_photo278.JPG.10086957dabd52771a9315af157bfb53.JPG

• Like 15

1 minute ago, IowaDee said:

Hey, we've grown the exact same corn.  We just call it "Corn in search of an orthodontist."  Shrimp looks amazing!  

xD  I like that!

I've been calling it polka-dot corn.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

Nice !  but  zucchini

much better.

at least I didn't see any Gr.Bells.

money-mouth.gif.622d9d7dc7f681226a6708404904e0a7.gif

They still aren't big enough to pick but don't worry, you'll be seeing them soon :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

re: 

GBP's :

why not : 

1 ) wait until they ripen

2) or add now to your compost heap

suprise.gif.4b4dc28eb6aeb720c65875c2d6e7993f.gif

xD

Just for that, I'll pick them early and subject you to stuffed green peppers done in the IP.

• Like 5