• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

for me

TT is a bit tougher than Sirloin Cap

so I's just take that into account and add more time in the SV bath

for this Id do 130.1 and get to the pasteurization point

then add time for the tenderness you desire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

It was tender but not like filet...more like sirloin. It was a $$ butcher shop cut.

Its nice stuff. Saute a bit of garlic in a tsp of bacon fat...add chili powder (varying amount depending on taste etc...I use 2 tsp....cook that in the grease for a few seconds and pour in 1 to 1.5 cups coffee....add 1/2 tbsp beef demiglace paste...add sugar to taste 3 or 4 tbsp....dash of sriracha....salt to taste(I make it pretty salty because only a bit gets carried with the meat). Simmer for a few minutes. Thicken with corn starch.

I might add some dark chocolate to it next time. Might be good.

Fascinating. Red eye gravy with chili powder. I have to try this.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Goat curry from the Punjab, desert style dal from Rajasthan, eggplants in tomato gravy, spicy Chettinad spinach, aged basmati and paratha. Served with dill raita, tamarind chutney and mango pickle. Goat is good.

IMG_3858.thumb.JPG.f7d99c2f07d05980306aaf6efc47fb3e.JPG

• Like 14

WOW everyone. What fantastic meals.  All so different.  All sparking ideas in my head.  Again I am 'immobilized' by choice.  My biggest angst.

I made some curry the other day and this is the only component I got a picture of:  'spicy cauliflower' from Vij's....a Vancouver East Indian Chef.  He and his wife have three cookbooks out.  All the recipes I have made were great.  This one so simple to make but I think the use of fresh garden tomatoes really made it special.  It is SO ALL ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS.

DSC02063.thumb.jpg.42b426bd9a71df7e9a0cf9d9eff2f7a0.jpg

• Like 10

I canned tomatoes the other day and had a jar that didn't seal (arrrrrgh).  Yesterday was unseasonably cool, cloudy and rainy so we thought venison chili sounded good.  And I used up my jar that didn't seal.  Rancho Gordo beans....everything else was from our garden.  The peppers are hotter than hell. 

5980793453c0d_photo274.JPG.c8d3f82711e57163069fa7fca5b13876.JPG

5980793db195f_photo275.JPG.3121ad6c0623de2516aa8f406618caae.JPG

• Like 17

This afternoon, we were hit by the tail end of Typhoon Begonia which landed in eastern China yesterday. The typhoons never make  it this far inland, but we still feel the effects. The temperature dropped 10 degrees C over less than a minute. (From 35ºC to 26ºC), the sky darkened and and we were blessed with monsoon-like rain. There are no drops of rain. It is  a wall of rain.

Anyway, that put paid to any plans for going out, so I spent a happy afternoon sharpening all my kitchen knives, except one. Only 5 knives:a Chinese cleaver, a cook's knife, a paring knife, a cheese knife and my beautiful Xinjiang slicing knife, a gift from a Muslim restaurant owner who was retiring. I was told that it is a great honour to be given the chef's own knife. I use it as a bread knife mostly. It isn't serrated, but I've never met a loaf it couldn't get through when sharp. Its blade is 29 cm / 11.4 inches long.

knife.thumb.jpg.3fdc315804c3c470191f732669cbaa90.jpg

The knife which didn't get sharpened is what I call my blunt knife. It is a super cheap "cook's knife' which I only use for testing the doneness of potatoes etc. This is an echo from my childhood.

When I was a boy, my mother had what she called 'the sharp knife'. I now know that it wasn't sharp at all,but was used for any task  which a dinner knife couldn't cope with. My brothers and I were indoctrinated about the dangers of this knife and were sure that if we were so foolish as to touch it (or even look at it too closely) we would be instantly maimed or worse.

I'm now in my 60s , but I remember the day my mother said to me "Bring me the sharp knife." Real rite of passage stuff. I wasn't sure if she was testing me or something, but my father nodded and raised his eyebrows in approval. I went to the kitchen (a place my father had never visited. I'm not sure he knew where his dinner came from) and with shaking hand picked up the sharp knife and carried to my mother. I must have been about twelve. Thereafter I was an adult with full 'sharp knife' using privileges.

Years later, I deliberately reversed the practice. I keep all my knives sharp except the 'blunt knife'. My mother knows this, but she has long been convinced that common sense passed me by.

So, that was my afternoon. Fortunately, I had food which I had bought in the morning, so dinner was OK.

duck1.thumb.jpg.f8ebe3f788a7e625501aad9082e5dcb7.jpg

Pan-fried duck breast with a lemon (zest and juice), garlic, chilli sauce. New potatoes and a baby bok choy salad with a simple olive oil and white Chinese rice vinegar dressing.

I have had baby bok choy with the last three of four meals I have posted. This is not lack of imagination. I just really like it and it is at its best right now. Soon it won't be so good, so I am making the most of it while it lasts.

duck2.thumb.jpg.21caf5a8fc62375bce0b793295db0fac.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
missing word (log)
  • Like 21

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I'm now in my 60s , but I remember the day my mother said to me "Bring me the sharp knife."...

That was a wonderful story...thank you for sharing.

• Like 8

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

IMG_3859.thumb.JPG.9b81d9c8ba6c4ce9ff101c9a80e7e252.JPGThali number 83 (no, I haven't been counting, it's a guess). Chickpea and cauliflower curry, smashed potatoes, snake beans with tomato gravy, tadka dal, rice and paratha. Served with dill raita, mango chutney and lime pickle. The potatoes were a winner and so easy. I par boil, cool and press between palms, heat ghee in a pan, add kalonji seeds, grated ginger and minced green chilli, fry the potatoes, add salt, then garnish with chopped coriander.

• Like 13

Chicken en confit.  Well SV style. Salted and bagged with thyme and or rosemary @ 165f X 8 hrs or so then iced down

Seared in a pan and served with mashed potatoes flavored with some of the bag juices.  

image.jpeg

• Like 19

The main dish tonight: Steak.   Trying to use up the various cuts of grass-fed beef from our last cow, as we have about 1000 # coming in two weeks.  While not pictured, the steaks were accompanied by new potatoes that I plucked from the garden this afternoon. 

IMG_1896-2.JPG

• Like 15

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Last night I cooked a ribeye steak and served it with the classic baked potato and salad with artichoke hearts that were leftover from a pasta dish that also used the next to last serving of the Argentine Red Shrimp from the freezer. Tonight was tacos with the leftover steak, refried black beans and Mexican red rice. These were the best steak tacos I ever had, probably since restaurant steak tacos do not use ribeye.

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

12 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

The main dish tonight: Steak.   Trying to use up the various cuts of grass-fed beef from our last cow, as we have about 1000 # coming in two weeks.  While not pictured, the steaks were accompanied by new potatoes that I plucked from the garden this afternoon. 

IMG_1896-2.JPG

How do you store that much meat?  Commercial food locker?

@lindag...Commerical Freezer.    When we moved up here, the local school was selling their freezer and getting a new one.  (All it needed was a freon charge.)  We bought the old one  (dirt cheap), anticipating we'd need it once we got started with bison or grass fed beef.  Opting for the beef cattle, we usually do two head at a time.  I sell 50-60% of the beef, and keep the rest for us. And, with the meat chickens and turkeys I raise and butcher, we keep it pretty full.   

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: