• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Wow, the fat content in that rib cap looks amazing.  Snake River Farms American wagyu?

Wonder what the ribeyes looked like.  

Cant wait to see what you do with it.  I have a cap roll from Costco in the freezer waiting to get used but sure doesn't look  as nice as yours 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Good farmer's market haul...

35461419373_45b65ab5fc_z.jpg

Black sea bass (1.3 lbs.) with dill, onions, lemon, and olive oil.  Steam roasted at 400°F for 15 minutes. Delicious.

Served with corn off the cob, sauteéd with red onions and cherry tomatoes. And house-made giardiniera. And potato/cucumber salad (sour cream dressing),

• Like 16

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

SV pork loin with apple/dijon sauce, broccoli and glazed turnips. I thought that the turnips were fabulous. The other diner (with a defective palate) said they were too bitter

010.thumb.jpg.fd14fd8f78b9451e70a80d7d80eabfed.jpg

Roast Chicken with the usual

285.thumb.jpg.dbbf6f4316d3ed2bbbcd120b55b17200.jpg

Darto-seared SV tri tip with chili/coffee sauce

0069.thumb.jpg.3f1d5afff09302c92f7dcf5fe0ad1e3a.jpg008.thumb.jpg.40431ca977534df05bcb7ec733a4aeff.jpg

Balsamic/mustard glazed salmon

020.thumb.jpg.1b83b6d2890075ab81ae5b5039db9e87.jpg

Roast chicken salad with vinaigrette

018.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 23

Not terribly pretty like everything else here, but, I had several requests for it. Our daughter-in-law is over-due with their 3rd baby--- and the other two kids wanted 'Grammie's sloppy joe'.  Its a bit of work tp prepare, which the expectant mom is totally not up to.  So, since I was invited to attend and assist in the home-birth....I thought I'd make a small vat of sloppy joe, freeze some, and take it with me when the blessed event occurs. :D

IMG_1892-3.JPG

• Like 18

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Hard to follow gfweb' post.  

Uncooked chicken that was kept chilled vacuumed sealed last week went into the SV bath at 165 for 3 hrs then finished in the oven.  Lined the cast iron pan with a garlic loaf bread that our local Publix has been making.  Studded with whole roasted garlic cloves inside and out.  The chicken drippings added just the right amount of fat and crunch.  

A romain salad with tomatos and cubed up toasted  bread  was a fine side along with some rendered chicken skins chips  to nosh on. Scrapping out most of the fat before roasting really makes them light and not too greasy 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 20

48 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

. I could not be happier with the gyoza!!!

So very glad you gave it a shot.  Bet you keep making them. Homemade are so much nicer than most store-bought 

and you know for certain what is in them. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice job, @HungryChris!  I made my own a long time ago.  Need to do that again.  They freeze very well if I recall correctly.  

Lovely meals as usual, @gfweb

Ribs with a glaze of jalapeño peach sauce

597f1e3dd0058_photo271.JPG.01bd3bd05d634da091965883c8e4e3b4.JPG

The first Silver Queen corn!!!!  Our corn didn't do very well this year, so this might be the only ones we eat :(  OH it's so good.

597f1e45b2221_photo272.JPG.4ec8218013358f889a8b395687fb3bb6.JPG

• Like 18

This is how the Rib Cap finished out-

Porcini powder and Maldon Sea Salt that's it

Vacuum sealed Sous Vide  4 hrs @ 140 F

Seared hard on my Plancha-  notice the crust

36243108466_f4cfed8043_o.thumb.jpg.3fd50b9494291351abd1695027c1df58.jpg

• Like 19

Its good to have Morels

41 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

This is how the Rib Cap finished out-

Porcini powder and Maldon Sea Salt that's it

Vacuum sealed Sous Vide  4 hrs @ 140 F

Seared hard on my Plancha-  notice the crust

Thanks for this. Kerry Beal and I were never very pleased with the rib cap  we had here in Manitoulin. I am sure it was not nearly the quality of yours but nevertheless next time ( if we come across it again) I would follow your time and temperature.  Just carefully added that to my notebook.  Of course I am making the assumption that you were pleased with the taste and tenderness as well as the looks of the finished meat. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for this. Kerry Beal and I were never very pleased with the rib cap  we had here in Manitoulin. I am sure it was not nearly the quality of yours but nevertheless next time ( if we come across it again) I would follow your time and temperature.  Just carefully added that to my notebook.  Of course I am making the assumption that you were pleased with the taste and tenderness as well as the looks of the finished meat. 

Yes--Was very tasty

We don't add much else , as I enjoy the flavor of meat here

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

SV on that TT ?  what temps and time did you use ?

looks perfect !

It was 125F x 2 hours. Just a little bit too rare for ONE OF US so I quick (and I mean quick...like 2 seconds) seared the back of of each slice to bring the doneness up a hair but to preserve the great color on the other side. A cheat.

Probably do 127 next time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Darto-seared SV tri tip with chili/coffee sauce

I love tri tip but confess to never going quite that low temperature wise nor quite that short time wise.:) But my question is about the chili coffee sauce.  Can you elaborate? Please. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

Tender ?

I like TT , but I like sirloin tips as flap meat a little bette

Im talking SuperMarket Beef , although one where butchers still cut beef.

It was tender but not like filet...more like sirloin. It was a $$ butcher shop cut.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I love tri tip but confess to never going quite that low temperature wise nor quite that short time wise.:) But my question is about the chili coffee sauce.  Can you elaborate? Please. 

Its nice stuff. Saute a bit of garlic in a tsp of bacon fat...add chili powder (varying amount depending on taste etc...I use 2 tsp....cook that in the grease for a few seconds and pour in 1 to 1.5 cups coffee....add 1/2 tbsp beef demiglace paste...add sugar to taste 3 or 4 tbsp....dash of sriracha....salt to taste(I make it pretty salty because only a bit gets carried with the meat). Simmer for a few minutes. Thicken with corn starch.

I might add some dark chocolate to it next time. Might be good.

• Like 3

Thanks!

My 2004 eG Blog