• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Yours look yum and you may have convinced me to ignore some customer demands long enough for me to go shopping today. :)

Have you tried Australia Fair Metro market ? It's in the old part of AF, near the China town precinct and has banks of freezers with all sorts of stuff, fresh produce and dried goods galore.

• Like 1

Chicken with spinach gravy, our favourite baby eggplants, potatoes with cauliflower, paneer in tomato gravy, lemon rice and paratha. Side dishes are fresh green mango and ginger chutney, fresh tomato chutney and lime pickles.

IMG_3847.thumb.JPG.c17263670bc0848691eb5b51373af3f6.JPG

• Like 8

Dinner was a disappointment.  The organic avocado I cut into was not really ripe.  Still, with a plate of cheeses, a loaf of excellent bread, a bottle (1.5 liter) of Soave, and an almost infinite supply of tomatoes -- yes, it is that time of year -- it is hard to go far wrong.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, Captain said:

I have been craving some Pot stickers, Dumplings for ages now but I won't buy them from the supermarket.  I have to travel to an Asian market that have them in packets with no English but Pics so I can identify them.  Much better quality product.

Yours look yum and you may have convinced me to ignore some customer demands long enough for me to go shopping today. :)

These are from Trader Joe's and are pretty good, but I would love to find a source of really good ones, or, better yet,  learn how to make them!

HC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

These are from Trader Joe's and are pretty good, but I would love to find a source of really good ones, or, better yet,  learn how to make them!

Honestly they are easy to make. Click

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

@Anna N, I have a small collection of recipes that I intend to try, and will add this one. I used to see wonton wrappers in a few stores, but have not in a while, so finding them is the next step. 

HC

Not to belabour the point but even the wrappers are not difficult to make. :)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

better yet,  learn how to make them!

Just to add to @Anna N's points,every kid in China learns to make them before they start school, so I reckon you'll manage! :D

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The first days of the week were very fruit forward with peaches, cherries and cantaloupe with cottage cheese; green salads; last night a western omelet with tater tots. 

Johnnybird is due to come home today and, since I basically cleared the fridge out and gorged myself on fresh Jersey fruit, I had to resupply.  Made smooch with bison and his gluten free elbows, boiled up some of his pasta, baked off two chicken breasts with herbs and am finishing up a half portion of @ElainaA's roasted tomato sauce with all the small mixed tomatoes I had and some of the first basil I picked from my new kitchen garden!!!!!!!  For lunch tomorrow or Friday or dinner I figure the tomato sauce with the pasta and some sautéed shrimp and some olives.  I just make stuff and leave it in the fridge for grazing. 

I HAVE earmarked one of those chicken breasts for a chicken, walnut and dried cranberry salad for ME.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

48 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Made smooch

Smooch?

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Smooch?

Our family name for a casserole of elbow noodles, tomatoes, onion, peppers and browned meat.....other names are Johnny mazetti or American chopped suey.....

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Honestly they are easy to make. Click

I took the plunge today. I show the second tray because, frankly, the learning curve was steep. The first thing I learned was that I should have gotten the round wrappers. The second thing was how thin they are. After that the fingers took over and taught me how to judge the size the filling should be and how to shape the charge for ease of assembly. They are in the freezer now and I look forward to the next step!

HC

IMG_0193.thumb.JPG.4152d8672986159ee10b4f94c29dfb52.JPGIMG_0195.thumb.JPG.babc935b0f4edfff4854203e73806d93.JPG

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The first thing I learned was that I should have gotten the round wrappers

Should this happen to you again, and it's happened to me, just use a cookie cutter to make yourself some round wrappers from the squares.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

They are in the freezer now and I look forward to the next step!

I bet they will be delicious. 

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

The first thing I learned was that I should have gotten the round wrappers. The second thing was how thin they are.

You appear to have bought wonton wrappers (square) instead of jiaozi / potsticker wrappers (round). These are thinner than the round wrappers. But a creditable first attempt.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don't know why it never occurred to me to make my own. I have done plenty of Wonton's in the past.  I also made some steamed pork buns not so long ago.

Thanks for the tip @sartoric The Q Centre has a great Asian shop.  Not very polite but well stocked.

• Like 1

Dinner out with my husband at Abe's Cajun Market & Cafe in Houston tonight.

So much more than I thought I had ordered! The fries, cornbread and hush puppies were not listed on the menu.

IMG_7862.thumb.JPG.b777924671593ba6e3a692b9195ba688.JPG

Plus, not pictured, a side salad and a cup of crawfish etouffee. Leftovers in the fridge.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 15