• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

There goes the low carb weight loss theory!  But a lot of low glycemic index foods.  Are your breakfasts and lunches East Indian too?

We don't really eat breakfast, chai for me, he has coffee. Lunches are indian - mostly yesterday's dinner :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sartoric said:

The next door neighbour gave me some lemons, ten large lemons. I made a lemon yoghurt syrup cake, (light and fluffy said the recipe). Well, I don't know exactly what went wrong, although I don't trust the oven and these were enormous lemons. It took ages to bake, and has the consistency of a very firm creme caramel. Nevertheless, the flavour was good, and double cream helped.

If I may suggest, I have a similar recipe:

It works well with lemons alone. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, kayb said:

@liuzhou, I hope those lovely meals mean you're steadily gaining your strength back and moving toward being 100 percent!

Yes, slowly but steadily on the mend. Still a bit weak, but it gets better each day. Thank you so much.

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Been working through the amberjack I purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Used two chunks for fish tacos last night.   Made a corn, pepper and radish medley along with shredded romaine  (aka cleaning out the fridge) to use in the tacos. Corn tortillas, of course 

Tonight have my son, his girlfriend  and my BIL coming over for dinner.  

I've got a chicken cut up along with 4 thighs in a dry rub of ground cumin, ancho and guajillo pepper, oregano, salt and a little citic acid.  Will either grill or roast in the oven.   Previously cooked Cuban style black beans pulled from the freezer.  Rice will be made last minute.  I'm done in the kitchen for a little while but some chicken livers from the whole chicken will be a quick lunch snack.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, slowly but steadily on the mend. Still a bit weak, but it gets better each day. Thank you so much.

@liuzhou Oh Gosh! Just reading about your hospital ordeal and recovery now. Wishing you a complete recovery.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This weekend while our daughter was home:

2-rib prime in the Big Easy: Great crust on the cap! Makes me think crispy pork - Chinese siu yook next!

5974f0f67208b_BigEasyPrimeRibRoast0462.jpg.42a7aa0830adbe2eae5a4ccce60644a1.jpg

And I just received my 8-quart Instant Pot! I was hesitant about the purchase as I thought I would miss the hours of slow cooking and braising in the oven, but the pressure cooker was what I have been wanting.Then Amazon.ca had their Prime Day sale, the 8-quart for $99.99 - $100.00 discount!  Daughter ordered me one. Made Spiced Lamb Shanks! The recipe called for rough-chopped carrots and onions, but I left the carrot chunkier, and added celery. The veg added a sweetness, and stayed in tact enough to suffice as our vegetable. I am happy I got one! It was fast and the kitchen stayed cool!

5974f29be4451_IPLambShanksPlated0124.jpg.0fd1445afa1386be06e5641437bbe0b3.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Finally used the eggplant and zucchinis I bought at the farmers market on Tuesday,, they stayed fine in the fridge. Made a baked casserole (found recipe online), very simple. Slice eggplant thinly, bake 10-15 min. Shred zucchini and mix with pesto and al dente shells (I used Banza chickpea pasta), put in baking dish and top with shredded mozz, top with sliced tomaoes and bake. I threw in some very thinly sliced onion also. It is a nice summertime dish, the sweetness of the veg really came thru. The eggplant was white-skinned and no trace of bitterness. Sauteed some thin sliced chicken and called it a day.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

17 hours ago, Dejah said:

This weekend while our daughter was home:

2-rib prime in the Big Easy: Great crust on the cap! Makes me think crispy pork - Chinese siu yook next!

5974f0f67208b_BigEasyPrimeRibRoast0462.jpg.42a7aa0830adbe2eae5a4ccce60644a1.jpg

And I just received my 8-quart Instant Pot! I was hesitant about the purchase as I thought I would miss the hours of slow cooking and braising in the oven, but the pressure cooker was what I have been wanting.Then Amazon.ca had their Prime Day sale, the 8-quart for $99.99 - $100.00 discount!  Daughter ordered me one. Made Spiced Lamb Shanks! The recipe called for rough-chopped carrots and onions, but I left the carrot chunkier, and added celery. The veg added a sweetness, and stayed in tact enough to suffice as our vegetable. I am happy I got one! It was fast and the kitchen stayed cool!

5974f29be4451_IPLambShanksPlated0124.jpg.0fd1445afa1386be06e5641437bbe0b3.jpg

Welcome to the Instant Pot club!!!  I don't know if you've checked out the extensive threads here about the IP, but here's a link if you haven't.  There are 4 other previous threads before this one.

Fried catfish from the lake, mac and cheese, fried okra and tomatoes from the garden.  Perfect.

5975e5cfc6ba6_photo260.JPG.f1499a983370560ff75fccb1e2f4d014.JPG

• Like 9

Stuff on Sticks.

sticks.thumb.jpg.c8aec2d21e8ffcc497cd9343c554b8fb.jpg

Pork, shiitake mushrooms. cherry tomatoes, hot green peppers, red bell pepper (because they didn't have yellow). All marinated in olive oil and lemon juice. "Grilled" in the toaster oven.

After taking the picture, I applied shichimi togarishi and some of the marinade. Rice.

Went back for three more sticks.

• Like 10

Ronnie smoked a domestic turkey breast for a bit a while ago and I threw it in the freezer.  Yesterday I put it in a water bath at 140F for about 2 1/2 hours.  Boy, was it DRY.  I don't know what we did wrong.  However, with good mayo and a nice juicy tomato, it made a good sandwich.

59770de88987a_photo262.JPG.f7eae26542ee353bcd9d90c81771a7ba.JPG

59770df183ed6_photo261.JPG.bdd28bd02db047e2bf7e53ca9622560b.JPG

• Like 8

XinJiang yangrou chuanr - style lamb (the ubiquitous grilled lamb skewers you see all around China) with naan bread and kimchi (not shown). Since I live in an apartment, the lamb was grilled on the gas stove, without the nice chuanr, but the taste was nonetheless awesome. I used cumin, Sichuan peppercorns, hot pepper flakes and fennel for the meat. 

20170723_204747.jpg

• Like 12

Another day, another dinner.

20170725_195151.thumb.jpg.4116c6ab254351c25849d55844d51993.jpg

Chicken drumsticks braised with whole peeled shallots, whole peeled single-head garlic, shiitake mushrooms, thyme, red wine and Dijon mustard. The juices are wonderful!

20170725_195138.thumb.jpg.e2c01d5d1671c9aa017d4ef2c83a33d2.jpg

HANd smacked cucumber in chilli sauce.

20170725_195126.thumb.jpg.536941e00910c687e42526c05bb36f58.jpg

Bean sprout salad in chilli sauce

20170725_195121.thumb.jpg.d8a1db616e8740ddb7472d95483d3386.jpg

With rice and the rest of the bottle of wine.

20170725_195146.jpg

(The two salads were bought ready prepared from my local supermarket. They have about 15 different salads on offer. But the chicken was all my doing.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

A couple of dinners:

Just back from a trip, so something simple.  Chicken apple sausage with eggs, spinach and green onions:

egg-sausage.jpg.4836238210382392597f93006dd98413.jpg

Burgers, cooked SV then torch-seared, topped with sauteed crimini mushrooms and served with roasted carrots in EVO and honey and salad.

burger-mush.jpg.25303940eda664c257c9f9e0951d7bfc.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

13 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

served with roasted carrots in EVO and honey and salad.

burger-mush.jpg.25303940eda664c257c9f9e0951d7bfc.jpg

have you ever tried sage honey with the carrots?  It is so good.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 24/07/2017 at 5:24 PM, HungryChris said:

Cecchetti meal: Shrimp cocktail, pork pot stickers w soy / sesame oil dip and fried zucchini w spicy ranch dip.

HC

IMG_0150.thumb.JPG.fe84fdf3ccc35abd274b4b96fcefa3b7.JPG

I have been craving some Pot stickers, Dumplings for ages now but I won't buy them from the supermarket.  I have to travel to an Asian market that have them in packets with no English but Pics so I can identify them.  Much better quality product.

Yours look yum and you may have convinced me to ignore some customer demands long enough for me to go shopping today. :)

• Like 2

The list of new recipes I wanted to try was getting long so I did several for dinner today. I did some of them yesterday.  I fired up the smoker for baby back ribs, made some bread, coleslaw, potato salad, scalloped corn, and  I tried a BBQ sauce made with Dr. Pepper

20170725_173235.jpg

20170725_173718-1.jpg

20170725_173718.jpg

• Like 18