• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

On 7/16/2017 at 8:40 PM, ElainaA said:

I suspect I have posted this exact meal before. Grill-smoked steel head trout, beet and horseradish salad, potato salad. And a green salad that didn't make the picture. A replica of a meal I ate some years ago in Vienna and since then in a Viennese Heuriger here in the Finger Lakes area. (My husband's company installed and takes care of their plumbing/HVAC. He emailed the owners asking for the beet salad recipe and they sent it to us. (Always be nice to your plumber!) Very vaguely. A list of ingredients with no amounts given. I used it as a stepping stone. I like the result. It is very simple.)

DSC02353.thumb.jpg.ae2b51441a40353dfa31e2602299ede8.jpg

Ohhh, you have Dano's beet salad recipe? I'm envious!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

5 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Ohhh, you have Dano's beet salad recipe? I'm envious!

I am glad to share it once I am home. The "recipe" that Karen (Dano's wife ) gave me is very vague but I think I came up with a good approximation. I'll be home 8/1 and can post it then .

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I know I've posted a version of this before, but tonight I just wanted some mince 'n tatties. And why not?

There was a near disaster when I discovered I was right out of Lee and Perrins' Worcestershire Sauce. Fortunately, I do have a bottle of Shanghai Worcestershire Sauce which is almost identical.

mince.thumb.jpg.7597b7e0fcc3815d36babf90bf3c59ec.jpg

59735ef1109ed_ShanghaiWorcestershireSAuce.thumb.jpg.474b356d041b9d0c29f374aab3cd9d08.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Fusilli with mozzarella, tomato, plenty of garlic and basil. A little cream and some chili. Baked until the top is crunchy.

20170715_145050.thumb.jpg.a8cf573f3030cf63860a1f042c427165.jpg20170715_145105.thumb.jpg.3d8c1fcd7077a2e6b356aa45e4edb86b.jpg

Picked a few figs fro a nearby tree. Tasty, but they will improve in a few weeks.

20170715_115348.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

Swordfish cooked in CSO steam bake 325 for 20 minutes with the side of sauteed corn, zucchini, green(ish) tomatoes.  Fish was almost custard like in texture.

image.thumb.jpg.1b42f9501796b4925fd6824557694197.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.1c345f1b94869a960a50a75bcc0325dd.JPG

Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.bdf8341ac0712e5b99d8e60abd83844d.JPG

I have something to do tomorrow from like 1 - 4 pm........

I'm sure I can make Corpus by Tuesday around 2 pm.......

what birds will we be going after and will there be any of this left?

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, shain said:

Fusilli with mozzarella, tomato, plenty of garlic and basil. A little cream and some chili. Baked until the top is crunchy.

20170715_145050.thumb.jpg.a8cf573f3030cf63860a1f042c427165.jpg20170715_145105.thumb.jpg.3d8c1fcd7077a2e6b356aa45e4edb86b.jpg

Picked a few figs fro a nearby tree. Tasty, but they will improve in a few weeks.

20170715_115348.jpg

The pasta is nice but those figs call out for some sort of blue cheese and prosciutto to be baked in the oven and devoured immediately......

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I have something to do tomorrow from like 1 - 4 pm........

I'm sure I can make Corpus by Tuesday around 2 pm.......

what birds will we be going after and will there be any of this left?

Too funny! Leftovers will be long gone, but I have been told the southward migration of shorebirds is well under way.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

4 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Too funny! Leftovers will be long gone, but I have been told the southward migration of shorebirds is well under way.

yeah it has absolutely started though our goldfinch(potato chip birds) are just starting to court and nest......

headed to our place near Cape May in October for the raptor migration

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Paneer with tomato gravy, spicy mushrooms with spinach, dal, Brussels sprouts kurma, lemon rice and flaky paratha.

Served with dill raita, tamarind and date chutney, mango pickle.

IMG_3841.thumb.JPG.b3d02e14a0f039aa84dae454c5ef3e44.JPG

The next door neighbour gave me some lemons, ten large lemons. I made a lemon yoghurt syrup cake, (light and fluffy said the recipe). Well, I don't know exactly what went wrong, although I don't trust the oven and these were enormous lemons. It took ages to bake, and has the consistency of a very firm creme caramel. Nevertheless, the flavour was good, and double cream helped.

IMG_3835.thumb.JPG.b885bcc89474995046bf520243c8bc59.JPG

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@sartoric you seemed to have gone completely East Indian.??

Yes, we have. Husband loves it, as do I, and the health benefits are astounding. He's dropped 10 kilos, we both have more energy, are sleeping better, have clearer skin, I could go on, but that would be TMI.

It may wear off over time, but I'm making the most of it while I can (from last year, "oh no, not Indian again"). 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Yes, we have. Husband loves it, as do I, and the health benefits are astounding. He's dropped 10 kilos, we both have more energy, are sleeping better, have clearer skin, I could go on, but that would be TMI.

It may wear off over time, but I'm making the most of it while I can (from last year, "oh no, not Indian again"). 

There goes the low carb weight loss theory!  But a lot of low glycemic index foods.  Are your breakfasts and lunches East Indian too?

• Like 1

I was expecting friends to pick me up for a dinner out so I skipped lunch.  Dressed and ready to go. Waiting.  Check text messages.  Ooops - that's tomorrow :$!  

Too hangry to cook so....reimagined leftovers:

IMG_5763.thumb.jpg.1e6c89e38972e7cd3e2fa69592a33aa0.jpg

Sautéed some shrimp in butter and garlic, steamed broccoli and tossed with leftover lemon-pistachio couscous.

• Like 13

Remainder of my recent branzino.  This time with baked potato.  I'm not often one to brag about leftovers, but any CSO owners dig out the recipe booklet and run, don't walk, to amazon or to your local branzini monger.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou