• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:49 AM, HungryChris said:

Before we left for vacation, I gathered up all the tomatoes and peppers that would not make it until we got back, cleaned and sliced them up, added copious amounts of garlic, herbs and olive oil and roasted them into submission in the oven and froze the lot. Now, I know that @Shelbywould not approve of those tomato skins being in there, but that is just the way it is. Last night, I used the concoction on angel hair pasta, with a bit of roasted sausage and the result was marvelous! We had this with a salad with fresh red leaf lettuce and cukes, from the garden and were both quite happy with the result. I planted the lettuce pretty close to the neighboring squash, with the hopes that the squash would provide just enough shade to prevent bolting and that worked out pretty well too.

HC

IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.ea964a08cc3c7e29d98ae7b6373233ee.JPG

Those small crocks in your photo....are those for salt and pepper?  Very nice.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Those small crocks in your photo....are those for salt and pepper?  Very nice.

It all started with the one on the right. We bought it as a salt container a few years ago, in Deruta, Italy. I wished I had gotten more, as I was always moving it from the work station to the table, in the kitchen and I was afraid that, sooner or later, it would get broken. Last year, we returned to Italy and searched for another. We were staying Greve, in Chianti and visited a ceramic place in nearby Radda.  http://www.rampiniceramics.com/collection/gifts5.php Deb saw the one on the left and had to have it, even though it was bigger than what we were looking for. Then, on one of the last few days we spotted the one in the middle, in a little shop in the town plaza in Greve. So, now we have two salt tubs and one napkin holder downer. Too much information, I am sure, but thanks for asking.

HC

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.8ca39de8ec5d8763053a585a31a81288.JPG

• Like 12

19 hours ago, Captain said:

Burger night.  Not that that's a regular thing.

I grounded a Kilo of Chuck to mince. So much better doing it this way & far more satisfying.

Note;  Burgers In Australia must have Beetroot :D

IMG_20170718_202243.thumb.jpg.272262e1417a6fe5eb9bb3b37dce4dce.jpg

These included Bacon, Egg, fried Onion, Tomato and some green stuff.  

Huge.

Such a dainty plate for that enormous burger! :) What kind of beetroot? Pickled? Boiled? I love beets in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think I've ever had them on a burger. This is about to change. 

• Like 4

Yes it was a bit much. I didn't finish it and I'm a 6'.4" bloke with a good appetite. The Beets are of the Tin variety.  I have always found that beetroot goes perfect with beef.

Enjoy your burger:)

• Like 2

Andhra style chicken with potatoes, zucchini curry, bitter melon fry, mixed dal with tomato, turmeric rice and flaky paratha. On the side is cucumber & dill raita, tomato chutney and ginger pickle. 

IMG_3828.thumb.JPG.102051560a3e17919f7a1b99e96095d8.JPG

• Like 7

I'M FREE!!!!!!!

2 ears of local corn microwaved into submission(4 minutes each).  Butter....jalapeno jack cheese....salt.

2 scoops of lactose free vanilla Bryers ice cram with caramel sauce and chocolate shell.

iced tea.

• Like 9

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Very simple dinner tonight as we (me, my husband and my daughter's cat, Izzy) leave tomorrow morning for a 2 1/2 day drive to Arkansas, my daughter's new home. 
I remembered that I had several containers of roasted tomato and basil sauce in the freezer from last summer. Somehow they got buried and forgotten. Now I am really sorry because it is very excellent sauce that we could have enjoyed all winter. So, fettuccine  with roasted tomato and basil sauce and a salad. 

• Like 9

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had a large salad again with green leaf lettuce and strawberries with the same dressing as last time, but a bit less of it and with a little toasted sesame oil. I fried up a serving of leftover grits and drained and blotted them very well on paper, and they were very nice. I love fried grits, but thanks to the gods for my splatter screen. I did not get burned by splattering grease this time. When I was preparing two servings for my husband and me, I spread the leftovers on a dinner plate, and this time I used a salad/dessert plate and it was much easier to deal with, especially in the flipping.Then I pan grilled a chuck eye steak and this was good as well. 

I had a couple of Krispy Kreme glazed donuts hours later as dessert after each was nuked separately in sequence for about 9 seconds.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <