• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Tonight was supposed to have been the last of my batch of Bugialli's chicken cacciatore.  Good as it was, I can only eat so much.  The chicken cacciatore lives for another day.  Bread was excellent.  It is not always so.  I'm sure the kitchen was over 100 degrees*.  Hardly need the CSO steam proof function.

Here at the computer it is 88 degrees, now down from 90 something.  I went out at midnight to pick basil and parsley.  Insalata was tomatoes, first fruits of my balcony, and torn basil.  Dressed with 25 year aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena and a few drops of Oro Bailen.

*38 deg C. but ice cold Soave helps.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had a sandwich of Pane de Casa rustic bread. This was pan toasted on a 12" aluminum skillet. When I flipped the slices of bread, I put a couple of smoked provolone slices on one side of the very wide bread. They melted pretty well. When the bread was pan toasted, dry, I put Dukes mayo on the other side. Then loaded the mayo side with iceburg lettuce and Danish ham. This was a very good sandwich.

I followed this up with very good local blackberries, pretty good cherries, and a not so good plum, that I ate anyway. These plums were touted as tree ripened, but as is not at all usual, these days, the plums were overripe. So a sad waste of good fruit that would have been much better if harvested a bit earlier. That is very unusual in these parts. Mostly fruit is harvested too early to be more hardy to make it to the market pretty, but not at prime.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

Before we left for vacation, I gathered up all the tomatoes and peppers that would not make it until we got back, cleaned and sliced them up, added copious amounts of garlic, herbs and olive oil and roasted them into submission in the oven and froze the lot. Now, I know that @Shelbywould not approve of those tomato skins being in there, but that is just the way it is. Last night, I used the concoction on angel hair pasta, with a bit of roasted sausage and the result was marvelous! We had this with a salad with fresh red leaf lettuce and cukes, from the garden and were both quite happy with the result. I planted the lettuce pretty close to the neighboring squash, with the hopes that the squash would provide just enough shade to prevent bolting and that worked out pretty well too.

HC

IMG_1407.thumb.JPG.55f99f4c753b6015aac8551088a7f8dd.JPGIMG_1408.thumb.JPG.bbbe0fc0fda10a71b36ef883d01a8290.JPGIMG_1410.thumb.JPG.ea964a08cc3c7e29d98ae7b6373233ee.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 17

Tonight I pan fried a duck breast and de-glazed the pan with some morello cherry jam and red wine vinegar to make a sauce.Served with watercress, coriander, and Chinese chive salad with a slightly citrus dressing.

I had made some rice, but decided I didn't need it. It'll appear tomorrow.

duck.thumb.jpg.fec70bca6e4dce494df0b743c3641d35.jpg

• Like 20

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Despite the heat (100F) today and continuing for the forecastable future, I want to make 

this for dinner.  I just watched the episode featuring it on Cooks Country and it looks amazingly good.  (I will omit the bacon on the outside.)

My go-to recipe is also a CC and it's super good so I know this one will rock it.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 5

No pictures - family is visiting and I get distracted.

Tonight: Pasta with purple snow peas (from the garden - (I am so glad they kept their color when cooked unlike purple string beans) (I have only a very few of these since the trellis they grow on has 4" square openings and the deer are very bold since we have no dog - they evidently push their noses through the mesh and eat the tops of the plants as soon as they get over the small mesh fencing.) also with asparagus, shelled peas and sausage. And a salad.

Last night was chicken thighs with a honey-garlic marinade in the CSO with mashed potatoes and skillet green beans.

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@ElainaA I envy you your chicken thighs.

I've been working my way though a batch of Buggialli's chicken cacciatora.  These pictures were actually from a few days ago, but as they pretty much match what I had last night, here they are:

Pickage07052017.png

Sage and rosemary from the balcony.

Beans07052017.png

Thirty second green beans.

ChickenCacciatora07052017.png

If it's not obvious...chicken leg cacciatora.

Insalata07052017.png

Insalata.  These tomatoes were store bought.  Last night's were my own.

• Like 17

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Well, dinner is over in the cooking with mealkits topic, but dessert is here:

IMG_20170714_223837.thumb.jpg.8fd242d8cb46b4423ad0290ef7d5ff29.jpg

A prior mealkit oops resulted in a trip to the asian grocery, so we also picked up some dessert fixings.  That's roasted black sesame soup with boiled taro balls and shredded coconut.  Warm.

• Like 8

A bit of a Chinese blowout tonight.

Started with some non-Chinese watercress soup. Went back for another bowl.

soup.thumb.jpg.ea023a9481b61c531e20bb52fc6f35e7.jpg

Followed by beef marinated in soy sauce, osmanthus wine, garlic, salted black beans, chilli and potato starch. Stir fried and finished with chopped green onions.

beef.thumb.jpg.3a0dc21556c9fa6ffbf952c418605415.jpg

Stir fried mustard greens with garlic

veg.thumb.jpg.83468b2b8bf89ae65fc1972f1bd519bf.jpg

served with rice.

dinner.thumb.jpg.231ff6d3171298314410b1d9838fb01d.jpg

Fruit (mango, melon, orange and cherries) to follow. No picture.

Edited by liuzhou
formatting (log)
  • Like 20

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Soft tofu fried in potato starch (agedashi tofu style). Stir fried portobello mushrooms with shiitake mushroom sauce and chili. Home made thick egg noodles and adzuki beans with soy sauce, miso, butter, and plenty of garlic.

20170707_145432.thumb.jpg.7898a7d208eacb50699eb0daa4e78ec0.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14

~ Shai N.

Welcome to my abject failure. I tried to switch things up a bit from the vegetarian Indian thali style meal we've been loving. Indian mashed potatoes were calling, to go with I made baked baby eggplants, spicy lamb cutlets and okra masala. Recipes were found on the web, and I just knew that the equivalent of 10 tbsp of ground spices were too much for 4 medium potatoes, so I halved the quantity of spice. It was still way too much. There was also way too much spice on the eggplants, the cutlets were okay, and the okra starred. 

IMG_3809.thumb.JPG.d35485406a3c86bea86c85aa47523ca3.JPG

Above with cucumber dill raita, fresh coriander chutney and mango chutney.

IMG_4203.thumb.JPG.c33a42d25941bf4480d74c4f19b55916.JPG

Luckily, I had made a blueberry and yoghurt cake in the afternoon, so we didn't starve.

• Like 17

Shrimp Fra Diavolo. Some folks will be pleased that I did peel the roma tomatoes before I simmered them with garlic, chopped onions and olive oil along with the first of the jalapeno peppers from the garden, but then I blended the mixture up with the immersion blender before adding the  sautéed shrimp, garlic and dry sherry, so I'm not sure it mattered. It's strange how much of a crap shoot it is when dealing with jalapenos, this was a hot one! The meal was a hit, though and was followed up with fresh blueberry shortcake, not photographed.

HC

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.56abe47634921cedae2a17e05ad1d9f8.JPGIMG_1422.thumb.JPG.7c97808c2cb262ebf7f64c5a291f890b.JPG

• Like 14

They have obviously never been to Payne's Barbecue in Memphis, nor Jones' BBQ Cafe in Marianna, AR (winner of a James Beard American Classic award).

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com