• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

John has been busy and is once more over scheduling himself so I decided to treat him to some comfort food:  shrimp and pasta.   Reading Melissa Clark's new book so got some frozen tamarind and made him some shrimp pad thai.

I'm off to visit friends this weekend so will make a lasagna for him to eat on while I'm gone as well as some macaroni salad, potato salad and some chicken with vinegar.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Forgot to take the picture until it was time for seconds, but tonight we had hash made with the leftover potatoes and tri-tip, onions and peas.  Served with salad and toast with the leftover french bread.

tt-hash2.jpg.d60fd41feccc289663d3dede51d09be6.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

The first dinner I've cooked for nearly a month, due to a slight encounter with the medical mob.

pork2.thumb.jpg.2e90e8317b746593549aa1576dfabcf5.jpg

Lemon and coriander pork with rice and a simple lettuce, mint and tomato salad. The salad was undressed as there was a lot of lemony/oily juice from the pork.

pork1.thumb.jpg.d890c3737aef9eca33a552032ffa357b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 20

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The first dinner I've cooked for nearly a month, due to a slight encounter with the medical mob.

Lemon and coriander pork with rice and a simple lettuce, mint and tomato salad. The salad was undressed as there was a lot of lemony/oily juice from the pork.

All properly seasoned I suspect?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Nando peri peri chicken reheated in CSO with the side of sauteed corn, zucchini, onions.

image.thumb.jpg.b7d04c6358fe6f0ffa4c65d8db0f012d.jpg

Wow!,,  That chicken looks insanely good!

While I can still stand...the last of my recent pesto sauce -- this time with Giuseppe Cocco pasta.  I confess I liked Giuseppe's version better than my own.  Can't say I enjoy raw pasta.  Not being Neapolitan.  Baring results of DNA test, of course.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Peel and eat Argentine Red Shrimp boiled in shells with salt, Old Bay in the water and nothing else. Served with corn on the cob, which was local and very good, with some brussels sprouts. My last local peach for dessert. I must get more of these while the getting is good. This has been the best year for peaches in recent memory, maybe ever! 

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I was so happy to get back in the kitchen after vacation, I can't even imagine how nice it must have been for you!!!!!!

HC

• Like 2

I'm mainly sticking with one pot, minimal prep dishes. as I have little energy after my recent sojourn with the nurses and doctors. So, it's slow cooker land here,  not something I usually use much, especially in summer.

Tonight I diced a chicken breast I "discovered" in the freezer and braised it with fresh shiitake mushrooms, shallots, whole garlic cloves, black olives, and capers. Served with rice and my new favourite bottled hot, ginger flavoured sauce from Thailand.

dinner.thumb.jpg.a820de699c78ef12460ad6e9dc0b97fa.jpg

Although it was OK, it lacked something - probably something I don't have anyway.

Also, I would normally have done something green as a side, but didn't have anything and didn't feel up to venturing out. Tomorrow my dearest friend is coming to take me to the city's best supermarket in her brand new car.

59677597d5389_ThaiGingerSauce.thumb.jpg.ac4f362bf1e1ec2cc130fd8be5e2f1af.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
formatting (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou - good to see you're up to a little cooking!

Yesterday's dinner was modified versions of the Chicken with Mustard, Green Beans with Snail Butter and Potatoes cooked in duck (really chicken) fat from David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen.

IMG_5737.thumb.jpg.b4fe19b708e79207399adf8639a53d25.jpg

I've made all of these before but took some liberties this time. I roasted the mustard-coated chicken thighs and before making the sauce, I drained off most of the fat and used a little of it to brown the potatoes. The beans were a mixture of different kinds (including flat Romano beans and some lovely purple ones that lost their color after cooking) from a friends garden. There are no actual snails in the "snail butter," it's just the sort of garlicky-parsley butter you'd use for escargots. 

• Like 18

Chicken pepper fry, green bean and snow pea poriyal, Brussels sprouts kurma, toor dal with spinach, pullao, pappads.

Served with our favourite raita (cucumber and dill) date and tamarind chutney, plus lime pickle.

IMG_3803.thumb.JPG.0e518e505cedb889581947bf07307e98.JPG

• Like 12