• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Injection brined thick cut pork chops indirect on lump.  with grilled mushrooms and first of the leaf lettuce from garden in the salad. 

IMG_20170702_200842.jpg

IMG_20170702_201503246.jpg

• Like 21

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Kedgeree (rice with lentils), chick pea cholay, baby eggplants in tomato gravy, spinach paneer, paratha. To go with; cucumber and dill raita, tomato chutney, and the last of my green mango pickle (sob).

IMG_3791.thumb.JPG.ba565aa40f24da766ae40963d869f410.JPG

• Like 11

Shrimp and pineapple in Thai red curry. Used the pineapple remainders to start a batch of Tepache.

shrimpine2.jpg

• Like 14

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

18 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I made pinto bean soup with bacon, onion, chilis and carrot, and had this with a slice of crusty bread with butter. Then I made a shredded lettuce and tomato salad and dressed it with Pancho's salad dressing I made from an online recipe.

I served the salad with 8 huge Argentinian Red Shrimp. I boiled them in the shell with just salt and Old Bay in the water, and I didn't think they needed anything more to serve. They were good and sweet. These 16-20 size Argentine Red Shrimp are on sale this week at Harris Teeter for only $6.99 per pound at the fresh seafood counter as thawed, previously frozen, or you can get IQF, as I did, in a two pound bag from the freezer case in front of the seafood department. My bag rang up as $33.98 before discount, and after discount $13.98, so $10.00 off per pound! You can't beat that for wild caught shrimp of this size. They're on sale through Tuesday the 11th.

I do love Pancho's dressing. I can buy the 1-cup tubs of it locally, but I rarely use it all before it goes bad. I've seen this recipe but never tried it; how close does it get to the real thing? 

Some Pancho's, some pico de gallo, some shredded iceberg lettuce and a crispy corn tortilla covered in melted cheese -- Bliss! It's also a great taco sauce, at least in the Ark-Mex world.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've seen this recipe but never tried it; how close does it get to the real thing?

Well kay,

As I'm won't to do, I did not follow the recipe as written this time. I mixed up just enough for one serving using their proportions very roughly and not in the mood for a lot of math conversions. I'm sure I backed down the sugar ratio, and I added some nice chili powder as well, because my 30 some year old memory of the original at the West Memphis location seemed to include it. Also I just shook it vigorously in a sealed jar instead of dirtying the blender. Oh, and I added a little salt and black pepper. All that said, I liked it well enough that I'm going to make another one-serving batch for tonight's dinner very shortly. I might use fresh squeezed lime juice in place of vinegar this time. Wish I had an avocado, but the salad was good without it.

The poster of the link claims to have taken the recipe from the Commercial Appeal, and I have no reason to doubt it. Also I checked the ingredients for the commercial dressing on Walmart's site, and they seem to be in line with those in the recipe. If you give it a try, you can always adjust it to your taste.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Pesto, though I didn't sit down to eat till almost 2:00 am.  The mortar got a good workout.  And I didn't roll out the pasta till the pesto was finished and the water was boiling.

Typically I have the energy to make pesto only once per summer.

I got inspired to make pesto by hand.  

image.thumb.jpg.eb934b5d394f8d0cdbafa2f80cff7503.jpg

And chicken under the brick (under two cast iron skillets)

image.thumb.jpg.bb010c1def3b8a18a52cd6e85556ef0d.jpg

• Like 16

I made another batch of Pancho's dressing with lime juice this time. It was good, but so was the vinegar version, and that is cheaper and easier. I had a small bowl of leftover pinto bean soup. I had been reading and looking at the photos on the Pancho's Yelp site and decided to make a small batch of Pancho's inspired cheese dip. I had only white American cheese and thinned it with some of the tomato juice that drained off the chopped tomatoes in the pico de gallo I made. The tomato juice, along with the crushed red pepper turned the dip orange, so it looked like Pancho's. This was really good along with some of the pico on warm tortilla chips. Then I made beef tacos and drizzled the dressing over them. This was a satisfying meal.

Now I have to make Shrimp Vera Cruz. I think the cheese dip I made tonight will work well in it. I used to make this over 30 years ago at home, along with the cheese and onion enchiladas a la Pancho's.

@kayb, since you've eaten there much more recently than I have, so you know what kind of cheese they use? I seem to recall green onions were in the filling with the cheese, but may be wrong.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

14 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I made another batch of Pancho's dressing with lime juice this time. It was good, but so was the vinegar version, and that is cheaper and easier. I had a small bowl of leftover pinto bean soup. I had been reading and looking at the photos on the Pancho's Yelp site and decided to make a small batch of Pancho's inspired cheese dip. I had only white American cheese and thinned it with some of the tomato juice that drained off the chopped tomatoes in the pico de gallo I made. The tomato juice, along with the crushed red pepper turned the dip orange, so it looked like Pancho's. This was really good along with some of the pico on warm tortilla chips. Then I made beef tacos and drizzled the dressing over them. This was a satisfying meal.

Now I have to make Shrimp Vera Cruz. I think the cheese dip I made tonight will work well in it. I used to make this over 30 years ago at home, along with the cheese and onion enchiladas a la Pancho's.

@kayb, since you've eaten there much more recently than I have, so you know what kind of cheese they use? I seem to recall green onions were in the filling with the cheese, but may be wrong.

You really should get a camera.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I believe they use Velveeta; I do for the knockoff Pancho's dip I make, which includes Ro-Tel tomatoes, cumin and garlic powder.  I suspect white American would work, too. I've always thought their shrimp Vera Cruz was done with cheese dip, and that, in fact, really sounds good about now. We intended to get down there over the holiday weekend, but didn't.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last night we had some friends over for dinner.  Made tri-tip SV, then torch-seared, accompanied by wood-fired roasted red potatoes, salad with sherry vinaigrette.  Appetizer was fresh-baked french bread and flash-pickled watermelon rind made with balsamic vinegar.  Dessert was compressed watermelon.  They brought the wine, a nice Zin.

tt-pot.jpg.2cc4edfdbe1f8454c9b39347cff226cb.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tuna steak with polenta made with addition of fresh corn.  Pesto was made yesterday (by hand)  and lost some of its color but none of the flavor.

image.thumb.jpg.55f9b7f07fc2ba38bf42d60854ba9348.jpg

• Like 13

We are in the grip of a serious heat wave with much higher than normal humidity. I am figuring out how to make cool temperature food that can be eaten from bowls. Tonight was make your own carnitas taco salad. Cryovac carnitas from Costco, bagged salad, green onions, cilantro, sliced olives, sour cream, salsa, jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese.

No dinner tomorow night; Wednesday night will be chicken pasta salad made that morning with SVed chicken breasts..

• Like 10

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I made the Pancho's Shrimp Veracruz, which is unlike any other recipe you will find for shrimp veracruz. This one calls for a layer of Mexican red rice with sauteed shrimp on top, smothered with cheese dip and topped with melted cheddar. I thought the cheddar was overkill, and did not include it in my version.

This was served with sauteed zucchini with some onion, and while the meal was good, I think I have finally worked the Pancho's craving out of my system for a while.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Prime rib sandwiches

5964c31386efb_photo237.JPG.a71fd1691a8f96d012984f31c27129ba.JPG

@Shelby Is that tomato from your garden? It looks especially "tomato-ey". ;)

Edited by Toliver
edited to add Shelby's tag (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver