• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

13 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Just me tonight and tomorrow morning I am having a tooth extracted, so they say no solidish food for a couple of days.  So I made a batch of split pea soup for the next couple of days, but tonight's dinner was a ribeye, cooked SV then torch seared, served with corn, salad and the last of the red box wine.  Fresh cherries for dessert.

ribeye-corn.jpg.e8300dbde6ae24053d355b53b438f43f.jpg

Pretty deadly crust, that

• Like 6

In my ongoing quest for the perfectly balanced thali, this one will take some beating.

Kangaroo vindaloo, potatoes with spinach, beans & lentils, lemon rice, roti, salad, cucumber & dill raita, tomato chutney, mango chutney.

IMG_3750.thumb.JPG.98c73caea87cec9069a042baa101b6d3.JPG

• Like 15

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.a9d7663bc42ca79124954cdf4b6ea7a2.JPG

Grilled Sausage Wrap with (not shown) Cole Slaw on the side

I'm tempted to report the post.

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 2017-06-29 at 8:14 AM, Shelby said:

I know, I know.  My pork chop looks anemic.  I SV'd it and I didn't feel like searing it.  It was very tender so I don't care what it looked like lol.

5955194591801_photo198.JPG.52f8fcc2b513932ea65fa35014ec2772.JPG

59551925eba1d_photo199.JPG.bf79d4adbfc097b5b0262981de196a4e.JPG 

Ah, Shelby, I love you!

• Like 1

@ElainaA – I have a half a container of ricotta in my fridge right now.  No idea what I will do with it.  Probably nothing!

@Thanks for the Crepes – I always cook steaks in an iron skillet.  I love the crust I get.  Glad you liked the experiment!

The other day I found what was supposed to be a local tomato and had to have one of these:

DSCN7162.JPG.5d7a596557370bfa58208c7dbb394a55.JPG

It was ok.  Really too early for good local tomatoes, I guess.  Sigh.

Mr. Kim’s Father’s Day gift was an Edwards petite country ham:

DSCN7163.thumb.JPG.8b3679891471573d5c994c3e22dbe52d.JPG

DSCN7164.JPG.23a81cda7dd183ea5ac6f61a565499c0.JPG

Sliced:

DSCN7166.JPG.9a68419f582270e40fea38b64a9aa129.JPG

It is fabulous.  This little guy is going to last us awhile.  I could make an entire meal of it with nothing more than a sharp knife.  Called for breakfast for dinner:

DSCN7167.JPG.8b75296166a1bc023a0d6f92afe4fe46.JPG

Two biscuits – one with the addition of a friend’s fig preserves, tots, scrambled eggs and another go at that tomato from the night before:

DSCN7168.JPG.e3aa514cdc1ef3eafa8b45fe8a80924f.JPG

Helped by a big clop of Duke’s, but still not great.

Tonight was salad, chicken Kiev (frozen – a guilty pleasure) and the bits and pieces from the fried rice that I made the other night – more like snow pea and bean sprout stir-fry with rice:

DSCN7169.JPG.69d0ce006c73750fbef00a7ca055407c.JPG

DSCN7170.JPG.44150bf9fe292cda2cc63558e75699c0.JPG

DSCN7171.JPG.90e133ac7797150e0392c49163d0b7a5.JPG

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Really too early for good local tomatoes, I guess.  Sigh.

Glorious looking food, Kim, especially that lovely ham. Gorgeous!

There were local tomatoes that looked really good on the display marked "Local Goodness" in the Food Lion a couple of days ago. I picked up a zucchini, an ear of corn, and some peaches, which have been really good here this year. I bypassed the large local tomatoes in favor of the 1 pound clamshell of Campari tomatoes over on the display with avocados, other tomatoes,garlic and stuff. Those Campari were $2.49 and they taste like summer garden grown tomatoes. Sweet and juicy. I know you have access to Food Lion, so maybe your local store offers them too. I love tomatoes, but especially in a tomato sandwich, less than stellar ones can be very disappointing. Campari's are about golf ball size. This makes them great to control leftover partial tomatoes. They last over a week on my counter, just getting better with time. This batch was branded Sunset, but all the Camparis, regardless of brand, have been wonderful.

I paid a lot more per pound last month for a supposedly heirloom tomato that looked like one, complete with pleated shoulders and brownish tint. It was juicy, but brought no flavor at all to the party. I'm sticking with Camparis until I walk down to my seafood outlet. Their summer tomatoes taste like they are grown in the family that owns the shop's backyard. Camparis are just as good,  though.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

26 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Glorious looking food, Kim, especially that lovely ham. Gorgeous!

There were local tomatoes that looked really good on the display marked "Local Goodness" in the Food Lion a couple of days ago. I picked up a zucchini, an ear of corn, and some peaches, which have been really good here this year. I bypassed the large local tomatoes in favor of the 1 pound clamshell of Campari tomatoes over on the display with avocados, other tomatoes,garlic and stuff. Those Campari were $2.49 and they taste like summer garden grown tomatoes. Sweet and juicy. I know you have access to Food Lion, so maybe your local store offers them too. I love tomatoes, but especially in a tomato sandwich, less than stellar ones can be very disappointing. Campari's are about golf ball size. This makes them great to control leftover partial tomatoes. They last over a week on my counter, just getting better with time. This batch was branded Sunset, but all the Camparis, regardless of brand, have been wonderful.

I paid a lot more per pound last month for a supposedly heirloom tomato that looked like one, complete with pleated shoulders and brownish tint. It was juicy, but brought no flavor at all to the party. I'm sticking with Camparis until I walk down to my seafood outlet. Their summer tomatoes taste like they are grown in the family that owns the shop's backyard. Camparis are just as good,  though.

Along with an hard, rotten avocado I had lovely Sunset Campari tomatoes tonight,

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner last night out with Johnnybird and a friend, Aurora, who is east to clean up her brother's estate.  Went to her go to place in Caldwell, NJ, Calandra's Italian Village.  They both had the whole wheat penne with game hen and I had a salad of watermelon and tomato with goat cheese, candied walnuts and a balsamic and olive oil drizzle along with an appetizer of their meatballs sugo.  When we do go here I ALWAYS order the appetizer as part of my main.  15 mini meatballs in their own marinara that are light and the sauce is so flavorful...I did share at the end with the other two.   Perfect bite on a hot and humid night.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Roasted tandoori chicken, with glazed sweet potatoes, oven baked okra, green beans masala and naan. On the side; cucumber raita, date and tamarind chutney, ginger pickle.

IMG_3752.thumb.JPG.07d2f1b9fde5d66f1688281f014951be.JPG

• Like 13

On June 30, 2017 at 0:32 PM, weinoo said:

It's getting hot...

35464028452_f73c041102_z.jpg

So it's time for cold (vegetarian) borscht, with boiled baby potatoes, sour cream, and dill. Served with a big salad.

Cold or hot borscht runs in my veins.  Sour cream powers my brain.  You can take a person out of Russia but you can not take borscht out of her or him.  Very timely post since my son and I have just spent six days in Moscow making arrangements for my father's caregiving.  Beets rock!

• Like 6

Jamaican jerk pork loin. Cooked with pecan smoke.

jerk2.jpg

Mango habanero slaw.

mangoslaw1.jpg

And the not very photogenic but very tasty rice & peas.

ricepeas1.jpg

Sunday dinner...

jamaica1.jpg

Cooked chicken broth, cider vinegar, brown sugar, lime juice, molasses, habanero, garlic, fresh thyme and crushed allspice berries to make what I'm calling Jamaican bbq sauce. Not at all authentic Jamaican and not really bbq sauce but it's mighty tasty with the pork.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 14

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Thanks for the Crepes - thank you!  I actually buy those Campari tomatoes all the time.  They are great all year long, it seems.  And, yep, I get them at FL.  I love grape tomatoes, too, but they are hard to make a tomato sandwich out of, so I was thrilled to find the Campari when I was jonesing for a tomato and Dukes sandwich in December!

Last night started with salads w/ ginger dressing:

DSCN7173.JPG.283ecc97d53ace4aa08b8f3f8a7131eb.JPG

And, as Bruce (eG) used to call them, eternal cucumbers (in summer, at least, we ALWAYS have marinated cukes in the fridge:

DSCN7174.JPG.cccadda4840cc309a9998a076cde1253.JPG

Sloppy Joes – just fixed up Manwich:$ – and corn:

DSCN7177.thumb.JPG.5f45424ce8c06ebf76da62756400e6af.JPG

DSCN7175.JPG.465290bca68f2d58cbecde6afe1f506f.JPG

• Like 13