• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Host's note: this topic once again exceeded the ability of our servers to handle efficiently; the previous installment is here: Dinner 2017 (Part 5).

Freezer-bowels digging meal - I had some Korean neuk gan sal beef. That's the intercostal strip of meat from between each beef rib, sometimes called the rib finger. It's incredibly tender and tastes unctuous without actually being fatty. It's a rare cut, very prized.

Marinated it in soy, honey, mirin, black pepper and garlic and then stir fried it and ate it on top of Korean green tea buckwheat noodles (nokcha naengmyeon), with a dressing of wasabi, soy sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil, and topped with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

19553218_10155423470429122_1699009137_n.jpg.4c4efde56b66262b7c89faa8b34833e6.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 21

I got some short ribs on impulse at the Asian market and marinated them for Kalbi and grilled them today.  It is the first time I had used the Weber in several years. I forgot how hot that thing gets and a few strips of ribs turned quite black almost instantly. Also on impulse I got corn today and it was also was cooked on the grill. Rounding out the meal was seaweed,  pickled daikon, kimchi, lettuce and two dips. One was sesame oil and salt, the other was some reserved kalbi marinade.  There was also rice but I had not put it on the table yet. 

20170626_185329.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 22

Yesterday I made my Garden Stuffed Peppers and served them with small pasta shells in butter sauce. 

Tonight was taco night, and I thought about making refried beans and red Spanish rice, which would be more traditional. I had thought to eat two stuffed halves of pepper last night, but was only able to manage one with the pasta and apricot, cherries and blueberries I'd planned for dessert. So I used the other half as a side for the tacos after thinking it was more traditional Mexican than I initially thought. Lima beans, corn, tomatoes, onions topped with cheese and stuffed into peppers, seasoned with oregano? Yes. I think this definitely fit the profile of what Mexicans might eat with their available crops and ingredients. It was good too.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Yesterday my wife wanted spaghetti for dinner, so I made my chunky red sauce.  But after the previous night's dinner out of a huge carnitas chimichanga, I wanted to cut some carbs so I was going to make zoodles for me and whole wheat pasta for her.  Upon opening the fridge to retrieve the zucchini, I discovered we still had green beans, so I made those instead.  Served with salad, a couple of glasses of red and compressed watermelon for desert.

red-sauce-beans.jpg.468ef608e283ccd59336901124785a38.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

38 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

That came a little different:

Arugula salad, Edible flowers, pepperoncini rings , garden cherry tomatoes, blue cheese  In a red wine vinegrette

I would be hard-pressed to decide if I should eat it or hang it on my wall. It is beautiful.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Forgive me, I had to do it. Kangaroo vindaloo, potatoes with curry leaves, brussels sprouts poriyal, yesterdays rice, paratha, with dill raita, mango chutney and lime pickle.

IMG_3741.thumb.JPG.de523b83dad3890501f4657da8a4db9a.JPG

• Like 12

image.jpeg.06ab139c2e4b46a1fd9bc61b0312fa1a.jpeg

I did warn somewhere that there would be some strange combinations as I try to use up whatever is in my fridge!

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fridge clearance night! Peas and fennel, sauteed mushrooms, quinoa (...finally using it up after it had been in the pantry for ages), and cherry tomatoes as dessert. Eclectic, to say the least.

• Like 7

I forgot to take a picture but tonight's dinner was a variation on  "Speedy Lasagna" from Patricia Wells Trattoria. The original has lots of sautéed onions, (home) canned tomatoes put through a food mill, some red pepper flakes and an herb bundle (rosemary, parsley, thyme, bay leaves). Then quite a lot of ricotta added when you combine the sauce with the pasta (fettucine in this case). It just happened that I had some sweet Italian sausage sitting in the fridge approaching its "use or die" date so I cooked that up and stirred it in. I actually think I like the vegetarian version better but my husband really liked this variation. Served with a big salad - it is lettuce and other greens from the garden season!

I chose this menu because I had 2/3 of a container of ricotta left over from an earlier meal. No recipe (for 2 people) seems to need an entire container of ricotta and way too often the partial container simply goes to waste. I am making an effort to plan meals that use up the entire container. Is this a problem for other people? With what other foods does this happen?

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 6

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina