• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm not posting this here for it's looks, but John came across an interesting (to us) recipe for an Asian style rack of lamb.  We had it tonight and it was very good.  The link to the recipe is here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/holiday-guide/holiday-recipes/recipe-asian-style-rack-of-lamb-with-sticky-risotto/article22176798/

I can't see anything wrong with the looks of that dish.

However, I feel obliged to take issue, not with you, but with the writer of the recipe. She states that "China's Hunan province is famous for its lamb dishes."

I lived in Hunan for two years, twenty years ago, and still visit several times a year. Lamb is almost completely absent from the cuisine. In China, lamb is only really popular in the north-west, thousands of miles from Hunan. With one exception. Street vendors from the north-west appear all over China selling grilled "lamb" skewers (except the meat is rarely lamb. More like lambs' grandmothers. She probably thinks General Tso's is from Hunan, too.

The recipe reads as being a lot more Thai than Hunanese. Lime, for example is very rare in China and unknown in Hunan.

Please note I'm not finding fault with the recipe in any way. It sounds and looks great. I just find fault with the nonsensical back story.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm not posting this here for it's looks, but John came across an interesting (to us) recipe for an Asian style rack of lamb.  We had it tonight and it was very good.  The link to the recipe is here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/holiday-guide/holiday-recipes/recipe-asian-style-rack-of-lamb-with-sticky-risotto/article22176798/

However, I feel obliged to take issue, not with you, but with the writer of the recipe. She states that "China's Hunan province is famous for its lamb dishes."

I lived in Hunan for two years, twenty years ago, and still visit several times a year. Lamb is almost completely absent from the cuisine. In China, lamb is only really popular in the north-west, thousands of miles from Hunan. With one exception. Street vendors from the north-west appear all over China selling grilled "lamb" skewers (except the meat is rarely lamb. More like lambs' grandmothers. She probably thinks General Tso's is from Hunan, too

The recipe reads as being a lot more Thai than Hunanese. Lime, for example is very rare in China and unknown in Hunan.

Please note I'm not finding fault with the recipe in any way it sounds and looks great. I just find fault with the nonsensical back story.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I lived in Hunan for two years, twenty years ago, and still visit several times a year. Lamb is almost completely absent from the cuisine. In China, lamb is only really popular in the north-west, thousands of miles from Hunan. With one exception. Street vendors from the north-west appear all over China selling grilled "lamb" skewers (except the meat is rarely lamb. More like lambs' grandmothers. SHe probably thinks General Tso's is from Hunan, too

Please note I'm not finding fault with the recipe in any way it sounds and looks great. I just find fault with the nonsensical back story.