• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can you tell us more about the meatballs and sauce, please. 

Sure, the tanjia is made by thinly slicing and deeply caramelizing a couple of onions. Then you add a couple of handful of dried fruits - apricots are a must, I also included prunes, figs and a few raisins (date syrup (silan) is also a very good and common addition, but I opted to make it less sweet this time). Add a handful of almonds and walnuts. Add turmeric (1/2 tbspn), 2 cinnamon sticks (or powder), chili and salt to taste. Add water (about a cup) and cook gently, covered.

Follow your favorite meatballs recipe, using about 2-2.5 pounds of ground meat. Use cinnamon, chili and cumin as spices in the meatballs mix. Shape the meatballs small and with an elongated or flat shape (for greater surface area). Pan fry. them and add to the sauce. Simmer gently until it is thickened, the dried fruits are soft (but not falling apart) and the meatballs soaked the flavors. Serve on top of couscous or long grain rice.

shain

shain

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can you tell us more about the meatballs and sauce, please. 

Sure, the taijin is made by thinly slicing and deeply caramelizing a couple of onions. Then you add a couple of handful of dried fruits - apricots are a must, I also included prunes, figs and a few raisins (date syrup (silan) is also a very good and common addition, but I opted to make it less sweet this time). Add a handful of almonds and walnuts. Add turmeric (1/2 tbspn), 2 cinnamon sticks (or powder), chili and salt to taste. Add water (about a cup) and cook gently, covered.

Follow your favorite meatballs recipe, using about 2-2.5 pounds of ground meat. Use cinnamon, chili and cumin as spices in the meatballs mix. Shape the meatballs small and with an elongated or flat shape (for greater surface area). Pan fry. them and add to the sauce. Simmer gently until it is thickened, the dried fruits are soft (but not falling apart) and the meatballs soaked the flavors. Serve on top of couscous or long grain rice.